Author
Topic: Desmond $10 wins 2018 B.N.O.T.Y. Award  (Read 6113 times)
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« on: May 10, 2019, 08:12:53 am »

Thought I would share the news from the CCF Forum with a link to the IBNS announcement and cool Youtube Video.   :D

Hopefully we can do it again in a few years time with the new $5.

https://www.theibns.org/joomla/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSDpYbhapv8&feature=youtu.be

wagnert89
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 02:49:37 pm »

It's great to see we won an award and we did not appear to have an spelling mistakes too (unlike recent Austrian $50) so I think we did awesome.
AJG
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 08:16:54 am »

And sadly, six months after its release, the new $10 is very hard to come by in my hometown.  Most $10s I see in my change are the already existing versions with MacDonald on them.  It sounds like demand is so low, low enough to declare the $10 bill an endangered species in terms of banknotes in Newfoundland.

Still, it is nice that our new $10 bill won such a prestigious award.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 08:19:51 am by AJG »
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 12:46:21 pm »

BNOTY - Bank Note of the year

Sounds like B Naughty  ???

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 02:14:16 pm »

And sadly, six months after its release, the new $10 is very hard to come by in my hometown.

- I periodically withdraw 100X $20 & a few times 100X $10 from my branches in the GTA (Ontario). 
For the Twenties: 25-30% are what I would consider newer prefixes (FWA to FY_) so clearly, BOC release rate of new prefixes is a trickle.  It would seem logical to assume that the old prefixes (BI_ ; BS_; FI; FS_ to FVZ) are being given extra mileage.

This cannot be the case for the Tens since we had the "150" & new Vertical series mix enter just the last 2 years & my stats show I get about 75% new prefixes (FTL -FTU; CDA-CDF & FTW-FFB).   So FEW to FTJ are getting mileage but not to the same degree as Fives & the Twenties. I just got a couple new FFB's (which was a surprise) today so that is now being released but I predict that the BOC will slow down the release of anything new (to get mileage out of the existing notes).

From the most casual of observations, we can see new prefixes from the Fives have not been released for some time.  The high for HCM was posted 3 years ago (2016) so BOC is definitely going to get mileage out of that denomination too (esp considering they're going to wait till 2021 to release the new series). All of this is also in keeping with the fact that fewer Canadians are using cash these days too.

JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 11:56:12 pm »

And sadly, six months after its release, the new $10 is very hard to come by in my hometown.  Most $10s I see in my change are the already existing versions with MacDonald on them.  It sounds like demand is so low, low enough to declare the $10 bill an endangered species in terms of banknotes in Newfoundland.

Still, it is nice that our new $10 bill won such a prestigious award.
Not the case here in Montreal. These new 2018 $10 bills are very easy to find... its only those that i have been getting lately when i use cash. The 2013 $10 bills seem to be quickly disappearing in my area.
Beatrix
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 02:13:25 pm »

Viola 10s are quite abundant here in Thunder Bay. Individual batches of 10s vary of course but I am starting to see more batches in which the 2018 series is more plentiful than the 2013 series. 2013 still has the edge in general but it is slowly shrinking. Probably 2/3 of what I find are FFA (09, 12/13, 39/40, and especially 46/47) with all but 1% of the rest being FTW.
AJG
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2019, 08:25:38 am »

Viola 10s are quite abundant here in Thunder Bay. Individual batches of 10s vary of course but I am starting to see more batches in which the 2018 series is more plentiful than the 2013 series. 2013 still has the edge in general but it is slowly shrinking. Probably 2/3 of what I find are FFA (09, 12/13, 39/40, and especially 46/47) with all but 1% of the rest being FTW.
The 2013 $10s are still quite plentiful in my province.  I still do not see very many of the 2018 $10s where I live.  I am thinking it might have to do with a drastically reduced economy in Newfoundland in recent years, plus most people using debit card and Smartphones as payment methods quite frequently.
JB-2007
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2019, 04:29:43 pm »

Its all about supply and demand. If you live in a lower populated area you will likely have a longer wait before new notes become available as oppose to living in a highly populated city like Montreal or Toronto where new notes are easy to get as early as day 1. Living in Montreal, finding a new series note has never been a challenge. In some cases i even manage to acquire them in change on day 1 of its release date and that was the case with the Journey 10 and 20.
AJG
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 11:19:19 am »

I was speaking to a co-worker in recent days, and I was informed that she tried to get a commercial order of $10 bills from the same Scotiabank branch I deal with (a small branch, not a main branch) for a business she runs.  She tried numerous times, and she couldn't get any.  She had no choice other than order twice as many fives.

The same person also told me she used a drive-thru TD ATM, and while $10 bills are an option, none existed, even after repeated attempts.

However, the only new $10s I got were obtained in my change at the Sobeys near where I live, but they probably got them through a main branch downtown.

And, as I mentioned before, the newer Scotiabank ATMs have all denominations except $10s.

That said, it looks like my quest for $10 may be reached the end of the road.  I think it's quite possible that there are virtually no banks in my province that order $10 bills anymore, and every ten I see in my change, it's always one with MacDonald's portrait on it.  If any banks order them, maybe just the main branches, but that's about it.

I also think the way inflation is rapidly headed (with the cost of a Big Mac meal only one price hike away from exceeding $10 with tax), and the number of new $10s printed prior to launch being so low - less than 20 million printed - our beloved $10 bill may be on deathwatch.  It's possible that with the $50 and $100 dramatically on the rise, there is probably going to be a need to expand the number of serial number denominational letters on those denominations, and the $10 is possibly a candidate for retirement in due time.

If the Bank of Canada discontinues the $10 bill (likely the same reason we lost the $500 bill in 1938 and the half-dollar in 2004), then denominational letters D, E, T and F will eventually find a new place on the two highest denominations in our currency system. Half of the four letters get put on the $50, and the other half on the $100.

If the $10 bill was to get discontinued, this will be the second time denominational letter F will have appeared on a defunct banknote.  I think it should move to the $50, considering that there was prefix EFA on the $50s back in 1989.  I mean, denominational letter C did originally appear on the $5 bill during the two-letter era, and now it is back on the $5.

The decision to retire the $10 bill may depend on how many banks order them.  If demand is low, the ten must go.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:27:57 am by AJG »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 12:25:41 pm »

IMO: I really don't think the $10 denomination is going to be retired after the BOC went through all that time/development costs to come up with its design/launch.  I rarely see a new Vertical $10 out here in Ontario as well but I believe it's just a temporary lull.   I feel it's more likely that the new series is just being stored in their central bank vaults (until they dump the last of the Frontiers stock).  I recall that over the winter (around Jan) I took a random bundle (100) TENS out of a local BMO and received several "150" TENS that seemed hardly circulated (again- maybe just a few recent bundles dug out of the big city central bank vaults).  They often hold releases of current notes/prefixes.    Several 2012 TWENTY prefixes were delayed when the 2015 $20 Commemorative (FWS-FWW) notes were released & then again with the intro of the 2017 commemorative $10 but a less dramatic lag in the release of 2013 $10 prefixes.

If any denomination is on the "death watch" I would suspect it to be the FIVE since the $1 was retired with the intro of the BIRDS Series and the $2 was retired with the intro of the Journey Series- BUT clearly they are getting more mileage with the polymer notes so the Vertical FIVE may be introduced next year nevertheless (since it would cost a bit to design/mint a new $5 & the current polymer $5 do seem to last a long time).  And then, you have to keep in mind that there is an election coming up so that means many things could change should there be a change in Federal leadership.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 12:40:01 pm by walktothewater »

Beatrix
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 01:22:39 pm »

The theory that they only released certain subsections of 2018 runs until they clear the vault of 2013 seems like the correct answer from my own findings. Pretty much all (but not 100%) of the 2018 runs I am finding are the same ones I've been finding since January. These are: FTW07-09, 25-27, 42, FFA07-13, 39-40, 46-47. Other runs such as FTY, FTZ, FFB and FTW/FFA between the specified ranges do occasionally pop up but at a far lesser frequency than the ones I've noted. In the meantime though, I've seen several new runs of FTN, FTT and FTU and even the occasional new FTJ.

10s are still very common and prevalent in my area and banks have no shortage of orders for them. Here are my current 2013, 2017, 2018 10 stats.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 11:58:15 pm »

Who are you on Where's Willy, Beatrix? I recognize a WW table when I see one. :)

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Beatrix
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 12:06:04 pm »

Hi Seth, I guess you do not remember helping me secure this CPMF account back in 2016. I would say it's easy to figure out if you know that 1726 bills is only 1.0% of my total. :p

Login with username, password and session length