Author
Topic: Solid vs million serial numbers  (Read 10819 times)
wagnert89
« on: May 11, 2019, 05:20:55 pm »

Can someone please explain why the book (and selling) prices for solid numbers (2222222) are two-to-three times the value of a million serial (2000000) note? 

Looking at it from a numbers and rarity point, both are similar.

Also, just for the fun of it, which is your favorite?  Feel free to post a picture if you have one
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2019, 08:05:28 pm »

Can someone please explain why the book (and selling) prices for solid numbers (2222222) are two-to-three times the value of a million serial (2000000) note? 

Looking at it from a numbers and rarity point, both are similar.

Also, just for the fun of it, which is your favorite?  Feel free to post a picture if you have one

I have been searching bricks since the mid 80’s
And I have only found 31 solids and 22 million
Notes all in various denominations from $5-$100
From this I personally have found that million
Notes have been more difficult for me to find
Yet I believe that most collectors I speak to,
Sell to and trade with prefer solids because
Of there numeric appeal
I can only assume that although the rarity may be the same
It is like anything else .. it’s what collectors seem to prefer
And what they are willing to pay more for
As for me I
Can’t say I personally prefer one over the other but I guess
I would rather find a solid rather than a million
Because of the demand and trading value

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:28:02 pm »

most collectors I speak to, Sell to and trade with prefer solids because Of there numeric appeal I can only assume that although the rarity may be the same It is like anything else .. it’s what collectors seem to prefer And what they are willing to pay more for

-I agree. BV is only somewhat related to a note, series, or special number's rarity.  Many of us forget that a note's popularity also must be factored in (as well as what's collected by world & US banknote collectors). I know very few CDN collectors who actively seek/acquire Specimens sold directly by BOC (never released for circulation) yet they also command quite a high BV (which also is the case on world notes).  That completely eludes my comprehension as I would never buy one.

I really like million # notes but seldom buy them (or solids) simply because they are seldom offered at (or near) BV. That may seem crazy but I am very careful with where I park chunks of $ on special #'s etc (& typically wait till market cools down).

On a similar vein, millions of Devil Face notes were printed (same with the Educational series in the US) and they're not that hard to find in higher grades- yet look at how high their BV is (since a disproportional # of collectors demand them).
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 03:26:41 pm by walktothewater »

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 07:04:32 pm »

). I know very few CDN collectors who actively seek/acquire Specimens sold directly by BOC (never released for circulation) yet they also command quite a high BV (which also is the case on world notes).  That completely eludes my comprehension as I would never buy one.

I have to agree with you on this
I have never owned or purchased for trade a specimen note
Specimens do not even have face value attached
It always made me feel like they have no real
Value

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
wagnert89
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 07:29:26 pm »

Wow that's alot of solids and million notes.  I currently have more solids but I have seen around the same amount of each type for sale over the last five years

I had sold some specimens I had for awhile and they increased in value alot; having said this, it was probably in line with inflation or slightly higher ($1000 bird series shot up alot).  On another thought, a specimen or proof is nice for older rarer notes; for example, there are no Dominion $500 UNC, but you can have one with a specimen/proof 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 11:53:33 am by wagnert89 »
TheBurnz
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 11:34:27 am »

Hello,

Some great information here about actual stats on brick searching. I personally enjoy the solid numbers because of the visual appeal they have to me. That said, the discrepancy in prices of solids vs millions is huge and if the rarity is the same or according to Friedsquids stats even more elusive, this could mean there is great value in purchasing million notes ATM or that solids are inflated and the prices are surly to drop.

Or is demand King in determining value?

AL-Bob
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 08:40:45 pm »

Or is demand King in determining value?

This ^^^.  I don't think millions will ever be worth as much as solids despite the similar rarity.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
missinglink3
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2019, 12:37:31 pm »

I just sold this one on FEEbay.

That's the only one I had in my life.

Beatrix
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2019, 03:09:54 pm »

What an excellent specimen that is. I would say that is worth at least twenty dollars.
wagnert89
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2019, 04:42:06 pm »

Nice note and i like the "Feebay"
TheBurnz
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2019, 12:32:54 pm »

@missinglink3  what did it sell for. Should have posted on here, I'm sure you would have gotten what it sold for on feebay if not more without the fees.

Feeling sad right now  :'(
AL-Bob
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2019, 02:59:58 pm »

I believe I saw it listed for a starting bid of $699 and that it sold for the same amount.  I was considering bidding on it.  Too bad indeed that it wasn't offered here first.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
missinglink3
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 12:33:54 pm »

The solid AJR9999999 sold for 720$   ::) :'(

Too bad I did not ask you guys  :-[

TheBurnz
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 03:10:01 pm »

Yup, I defiantly would have given you $721.  ;)

Login with username, password and session length