Author
Topic: Another 1935 Note For Grading  (Read 7925 times)
TheBurnz
« on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:23 am »

Hello,

I am looking at this note in an auction. The holder is clearly note correct in its grade. I have been outbid @$50 CAD. What is your grade on this note?

Thank you,

AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2019, 09:25:52 am »

Hard to tell from the pictures.  The only obvious fold is the center fold which would agree with the AU grade.  But what the heck happened to the back?  The ink is completely faded leading me to seriously question the "Original Paper Quality" designation.

At very best this is a AU-50 NET, most likely a wash and press job gone bad.  However if this is the case it is almost certainly hiding other defects so more realistically it is probably a VF/EF note.  Closer examination would be required though.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »

At very best this is a AU-50 NET, most likely a wash and press job gone bad.  However if this is the case it is almost certainly hiding other defects so more realistically it is probably a VF/EF note

-I agree, but perhaps EF-40 NET?  There's absolutely no way this note would survive proper scrutiny by BCS (& perhaps even PMG).  Large portions of the "Seated male" in the electrical allegory design on the reverse are absent/missing.  There is quite a visible vertical crease (& missing design from wear/chemicals?) However it happened is irrelevant.

I know there's not a lot of Canadian material out there being auctioned these days. This is likely due to deflation (prices dropping like a stone but dealers paid highly for their stock) that has hit the economy (so its a buyer's market).  Much better opportunities are in the world paper money market right now.  I think you should be patient and look for another1935  $5 to come up for auction. 

Buyer beware!

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 08:58:32 pm »

According to their website and I quote
Due to the unique characteristics of currency grading CGA Inc. ("CGA") shall not be liable for any discrepancy in the grading of currency. It is acknowledged that the grading of currency involves individual expert judgment that may vary from expert to expert and time to time.

My suggestion is to make sure when you submit a note for grading
That you specify that you don’t want the blind grader
 :-X

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series

Login with username, password and session length