Author
Topic: "Double Star" Journey $5 notes Prefixes HP- on ebay  (Read 4419 times)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« on: June 12, 2019, 06:55:02 pm »

Folks some of you may recall that I had made some observations about star notes on this forum. Subsequent to that the GPMC included some statement about it. This may have created a need to collect such notes by some people.

Recently I was on e-bay and I noticed these notes being sold for $19.99. I feel rather sad.

Here is the reality.

The star condition exists on every (or almost every) note (i.e. it is the way the notes are) from prefix HPD to HPS.

In that sense these prefixes from HPD to HPS do not come without a star note (with some very minor exceptions).

There is no star in HPA and HPZ in any of the serial numbers. In HPB, HPC, HPT, HPU, HPV, HPW and HPY there are some with stars and some without stars.

Also in HAD there is a whole range with stars and otherwise mostly without stars.

There is a distinct pattern to when these star notes occur in terms of serial numbers. I have this data but have not gotten around to publishing this data.

IN THE MEAN TIME - If you are buying a star note in prefixes HPD to HPS you are essentially buying a regular note. I thought it was important to share that with people in this forum.

People who collect notes by prefixes and would like a note with star and without star for the same prefix then look for them in HPB to HPC and HPT to HPY.

If anyone has a star note in HPA and HPZ put it up for sale and I will make an offer.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
wagnert89
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:51 pm »

I had a consecutive run of HPU low serials and from what I remember, they all appeared to have the hockey stick stars. 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 09:21:51 pm by wagnert89 »
Beatrix
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 02:05:40 am »

Can I see pics with and without this condition? First time hearing about this and I wasn't able to find any pics from searching.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 10:47:47 am »

Recently I was on e-bay and I noticed these notes being sold for $19.99. I feel rather sad.
Here is the reality.
The star condition exists on every (or almost every) note (i.e. it is the way the notes are) from prefix HPD to HPS.
- I agree (& thanks for sharing Rupiah).  It is always disappointing to see others exploiting unsuspecting buyers on ebay (whether it be over grading, "gold leaf" stamps on the Centennial 1967 $1 or this). It really has a huge negative impact on the hobby.

The missing ink which causes a couple of star-like white spots on the hockey stick of the 2006 $5 is mentioned on p323 of CGPM-31 but they do not suggest a premium. 
The small write up on them suggest these notes:
"do not result from a deliberate design modification. They are therefore not assigned separate catalogue listing. The defect was too minor to prevent the notes from passing quality control review so they are not considered error notes.  Some collectors may nevertheless wish to include them in their collections, as they did with the somewhat analogous "missing circle" $10 notes."

I just underlined/emphasized how they make it quite clear that if you wish to collect these- that it's completely up to you.  (I have also seen several of these notes too but have never considered them as anything special). They are way too common to be given a premium (much more common than the missing circle $10 I believe).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:50:51 am by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length