Author
Topic: Merchants Bank of Canada $50 note.  (Read 4530 times)
AL-Bob
« on: July 06, 2019, 10:01:51 pm »

Hello,

I came across this $50 1917 Merchants Bank of Canada note.  I believe it is catalogue # 460-20-16.  The Charlton catalogue lists the population as 2 (including one institutional).  I don't have the most up to date version of the registry and I'm just wondering if this is the same note which was previously known.  It's only listed in G/VG although this note looks a little bit better than that to my eyes.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Bob
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 07:58:48 am »

There are still only two recorded - the note shown and the Bank of Canada's note.  The note was graded G-VG (net graded, apparently) because of missing pieces and tape.  The note has obviously visited a conservator subsequently.  There is no doubt its appearance has been greatly enhanced, but I think full disclosure is a good thing in these cases.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 09:50:37 am »

Thank you, Bob.  I figured that might be the case.

To my untrained eye the repairs appear to have been done skillfully.  I would be very curious to see a "before" and "after" picture.  In this case it is probably a good thing that it was sent to a conservator if only to prevent further deterioration.

I'll be sure to pass on this information in the future if I am able.  At least it will be easy to find as it is now posted publicly.

Bob
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 01:39:08 pm »

For a Before picture, see the Interpam Sale catalogue, 1981, lot 293.  There is no doubt the conservator did the note a very great favour.  Sorry I can't scan and post the image just now - my computer and printer are not on speaking terms until I can find somebody with the technical knowhow to fix it. The G-VG grade is as per the sale catalogue (Charlton).

AL-Bob
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 11:39:25 am »

Thank you for the info!

Bob
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2019, 08:31:14 pm »

This is the original state of the Merchants Bank $50.  The conservator did a wonderful job on it.
Sorry for the image quality, it is quite small in the Interpam sale catalogue.

wagnert89
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 01:17:56 pm »

Wow, what an amazing job restoring that note.  Some people may want an original note but that's an impressive transformation

Login with username, password and session length