Author
Topic: 1954 Star Note Opinion  (Read 7455 times)
TheBurnz
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:23:00 am »

Hello,

Another note for your appraisal.

I believe this is the lowest mintage in the series. 16k mintage.

Thank you in advance

JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 12:18:44 pm »

This is a nice note to have although the printed quantities can be misleading especially in replacement notes. In this series the scarcest is the *V/E even though it had an 80,000 quantity printed only a fraction got circulated as opposed to *A/E with 16,000 printed but i believe was fully circulated.   
AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 04:12:19 pm »

Please don't tell us you paid $25 including taxes and fees!  On a more serious note '54 asterisk notes are not selling that well even in Gem Unc.  I see regular issue notes outselling asterisk notes these days in high grades.  No idea about low grade notes though.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
JB-2007
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 08:38:17 pm »

Please don't tell us you paid $25 including taxes and fees!  On a more serious note '54 asterisk notes are not selling that well even in Gem Unc.  I see regular issue notes outselling asterisk notes these days in high grades.  No idea about low grade notes though.
When looking at the latest guide for 2019 (31st edition) i noticed that most of these * notes took an overall hit downward in prices in pretty much all grades. Its really disappointing. Its a good time to buy but not to sell.   
TheBurnz
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 09:11:42 am »

The bidding is still going on. The current bid is at $55 cad. Not sure if I will pursue it. Thank you for your knowledge.

Best!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:28:56 am »

When looking at the latest guide for 2019 (31st edition) i noticed that most of these * notes took an overall hit downward in prices in pretty much all grades. Its really disappointing. Its a good time to buy but not to sell.   

- I agree (& its a good time to buy world notes).

Recently, I have been delving into World currency.  I picked up a BEP 1957 $1 SC "Star Note."  I posted this note on another site and a veteran US collector replied that "307 Million were printed."  I was floored (but fortunately I bought it well below BV). 

So I have been left with the impression that many 1950's Star notes are "a dime a dozen" in the US.  I also read (& heard) that US collectors have more an impact on our market than Canadian collectors.  They may have tuned out of the CDN asterisk replacement market ("Stars" to the US collector).  (On a side note: they certainly have not tuned out on 1935 or 1937's.  Just try to buy one of these and you'll find how dear they've become).

wagnert89
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:42:37 am »

The amount found/remaining is the most important variable in any mintage.  The DF astricks are rare since only a few dozen were found/kept in each signature and denomination (excluding the  less rare $1). Polymer $20 prefix BSW had 270,000 mintage and yet very few found.  This modified series astricks in VF condition is not rare by any means. 
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 09:45:47 am by wagnert89 »

Login with username, password and session length