Author
Topic: The Notes section announcement  (Read 10326 times)
admin
  • Administrator
« on: August 25, 2019, 10:40:58 pm »

You may have noticed a new section called "The Notes".   After many months of development and testing I feel like it's finally time to make an official announcement.

The idea behind The Notes is to create an encyclopedia of all Canadian banknotes ever issued from the French Regime up to the Bank of Canada birds series.  Since Journey Series and more recent notes are covered by the SNDB those issues have not been added at this time.

Paul Wallis started creating such a section and a limited static Notes section did exist on the original forum but fell into disrepair years ago. Our intention is to take up where he left off using the community as a resource to create an ever-growing reference source for collectors.

Gallery View

First and foremost we wanted to create a catalogue of high quality images of as many issuers, issues and varieties as possible.  When browsing in the Gallery view you automatically see the the best notes for each Category, Issuer, Group, Issue and Variety.  Only notes with the highest quality images on each level will be shown.

For example, if you want to browse all the Chartered Banks you can go to https://cdnpapermoney.com/notes/issuers/6 and will see exactly one example from each issuer.  To see all the Dominion of Canada issues go to https://cdnpapermoney.com/notes/issues/7/2 and you will have one example of each issue.  From there you can go to see all the individual varieties and finally all the individual notes.

To help show the best notes in the gallery view please go and like the notes that are the most interesting.  When browsing on the "Register" level just click on the Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down for a specific note.  You can also like or dislike an entire category, issuer, etc but this will not affect which notes are shown in the Gallery.

If you have high quality images to contribute please add them!

How to add notes

First try to navigate to appropriate Category, Issuer, ... all the way to the specific Variety.    This is most easily done in "List" view since all varieties are shows (including those which do not yet have any notes added).  You can start from the Categories List https://cdnpapermoney.com/notes/categories/list and work your way down to the correct issuer, group, issue and variety.

Once you are down to the "Register" level (eg: https://cdnpapermoney.com/notes/register/7/3/18/74/319/list) you can click "Add" to add your own notes.

1. For each note you want to add start by selecting "New" in the ID column.  If the note already exists and you want to add a new entry to that specific note you can select it's ID instead.

2. Under the ID you need to select "Public" (green) or "Private" (red).  You have the option of adding notes privately which only you will be able to see.  This could be useful if you want to manage your collection and record information about purchases that you want to keep private.  However if you want the note to be visible select "Public".

Note:  Your username will be shown for each public entry entered.  If you would like to enter notes anonymously you can enter them as "Private" entries first and then send a request to admin to list them publicly.

3. Double check the "Parent Details".  If you navigated to the right area to start with you shouldn't have to change anything here.

4. Enter the Series, if applicable.  The serial number should only contain numbers so any letters that are part of the serial number should be entered here.  Do not enter any position letters here.  For 1935 notes it is just a single letter (A, B or F).  For 1937-1967 notes you need to enter the series as a fraction (H/A).  Multicoloured and Birds notes should be entered as "AA" or "AAA".

5. Under the series there is the option to enter a count.  This should be left at "1" for a single note.  If you have a sheet of notes or consecutive run of notes you can enter the appropriate count.  Consecutive runs should only be entered this way for very common notes.   Rare notes should probably be entered individually.

6. Enter serial numbers one per line.  The number of serial numbers should correspond to the count number.  For notes which include a page position (1935 and older) you will need to include it with the serial number.  Eg: 123456/D.  For individually numbered notes just enter the serial number (1234567).  Do not include any prefix or suffix letters!

7. Whenever possible enter the plate numbers (FPN/BPN).  These should be entered as 100/100 or 100/- to indicate that there is no back plate number.

8. Enter the Description / Grade / Grade Comment.  In most cases just the Grade is fine.  If it is a TPG note enter the full grade such as PMG 65 EPQ or BCS 64 Original in the Grade field.  If there are additional comments such as "Tear" or "Repaired" those can go in the Grade Comment field.  The Description field should be left blank in most cases.  It can be used to indicate errors, fancy serial numbers, unlisted sub-varieties and such.

9. Enter Source information.  If the note is part of a Private Collection then that is all you need to select.  For notes that were sold in Auctions, Dealer Stock, etc you can enter additional information.  Prices should only be listed from verifiable public sales (only actual sold prices).

10. Select photos to upload!  The server can only handle about 5MB of uploads at a time.  You are more than welcome to upload photos up to this size but you would be advised to only upload one at the time in that case.  You can always add photos later.

How to add varieties

Only admin can add or edit varieties, issues, groups, issuers and categories at this time.  If you would like to add a note from a variety that is not yet listed please post a new topic on the forum and we will be more than happy to add the variety.

Hope you enjoy!
mackie
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 12:51:00 pm »

Tanx Kudoo's to you & your helpers I am sure it will be appreciated.

Mck

Tanx

img]https://cdnpapermoney.com/index.php?action=sigtag&u=mackie[/img
mackie
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 08:39:09 pm »

Hi Me again; I have a Reg# 8355 to be deleted. I cannot solve the sequential # problem I am doing something wrong. Do the count start from 0 or 1 the first line is ok the others produce an error. Specimen Sets what is the word on them? There is also a missing 11 Digit $5.00 but it's mentioned on page 296 of the Charlton Cat.

McK

tanx

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 09:56:05 am »

I have a Reg# 8355 to be deleted. I cannot solve the sequential # problem I am doing something wrong. Do the count start from 0 or 1 the first line is ok the others produce an error. Specimen Sets what is the word on them? There is also a missing 11 Digit $5.00 but it's mentioned on page 296 of the Charlton Cat.

It looks like 8355 was already deleted.

For seq. numbers probably best to just enter them separately.  I'll have to do some tests to see if that's working properly.  The main reason to allow multiple serial numbers was for uncut sheets and I am still a bit undecided about sequential numbers.

For the 1979 $5 I see five varieties listed which is the same as in the Charlton catalogue:
https://cdnpapermoney.com/notes/varieties/7/3/20/98/list

Specimens will be added shortly.
wagnert89
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 02:17:42 pm »

Great database for people to add pictures and notes. I tried it and I was able to upload but it shows a yellow triangle box with a ! beside the serial number; what does this mean?
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 04:19:18 pm »

Great database for people to add pictures and notes. I tried it and I was able to upload but it shows a yellow triangle box with a ! beside the serial number; what does this mean?

That usually means that the serial number is not in the expected format.  In this case it seems that "count" was set to "2" but only one serial was entered.  I will have to work on making the input process a little more straight forward.
mackie
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 02:29:00 pm »

The database is missing a variety which is 1979 $5 Crow - Bouey Replacment  3100 a rear Rep. Maybe I am wrong but I checked it again (Murphy Law: whatever could go wrong will go wrong)

McK 

Tanx

wagnert89
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 03:43:01 pm »

I noticed the bc-47a is listed as two categories based on tint.  I would suggest we make it one category and the user can add a note saying which tint variety it is and we know what the tint type is based on the range anyways. 

I am also looking forward adding polymer notes when that is available
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 04:04:03 pm by wagnert89 »
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 11:58:22 pm »

The database is missing a variety which is 1979 $5 Crow - Bouey Replacment  3100 a rear Rep. Maybe I am wrong but I checked it again (Murphy Law: whatever could go wrong will go wrong)

Oh, I just noticed that the wrong signature was listed for BC-53b and BC-53bA.  Changed it to J. W. Crow.

I noticed the bc-47a is listed as two categories based on tint.  I would suggest we make it one category and the user can add a note saying which tint variety it is and we know what the tint type is based on the range anyways.

I was thinking something along the same lines.  I realize it is a bit confusing having multiple varieties with the same catalogue number.  I would like to split the varieties into varieties and sub-varieties but that would require a lot of code modification.  In the meantime I think your solution is good.  The "description" field can be used to indicate any sub-varieties that aren't listed.

Thank you both for the feedback!
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 08:41:47 am »

Update 2019/09/04:

Specimen notes

Specimen varieties have been added for 1954, multicoloured and bird series.  An extra field has also been added for the "control number" which is printed in back of specimen notes from 1954 onward.

Plate numbers

Plate numbers have been modified to belong to the note rather than to a specific entry.  This way anyone can add or modify plate numbers to existing notes without adding a new entry.  A history of modifications is kept so it would be easy to revert in case of vandalism.  If it becomes necessary we might add some restrictions on this "edit" privilege but we will see how it goes for now.

Sub-varieties

I have not had time to start working on these yet but that's one of the next tasks at hand.
mackie
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 04:31:55 pm »

I have to say tanx again for your hard work I know it's hard work & lots of time. I found another mistake in the 1954-67 modify folder i could not locate $50 & $100 file but there is one for $1000 note check it out when you get to it I will check out the birds specimen folder.

Mck 

Tanx

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 09:40:21 pm »

They are there but no notes have been entered yet so they don't show up in Gallery view.  Here is the link to the list view: https://cdnpapermoney.com/notes/issues/7/3/19/list
mackie
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 05:01:09 pm »

The cell for Control # on Specimen is not visible on the entry page. On the edit page it is there but it cannot be edited (blank) (cannot be highlighted to enter the #'s as the fpn & bpn cell)

Mck

regent
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2020, 02:29:33 pm »

I want to give more information concerning the 2 *wa 20$ 1969 . I was only able to add the fpn and the bpn
but I cannot  add any other informations . Maybe I am doing something wrong.

Regent  CPMS Life Member 59

Login with username, password and session length