Author
Topic: What Do You Think  (Read 6793 times)
TheBurnz
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:45:53 am »

Hello all,

I am starting to enjoy this notes but I am struggling to grasp the values being but on them on eBay.

The 2008 $10 note is nice, condition is great. When I sent the seller a message saying that Carlton value these notes for much more less then you are listing, I got a reply saying that the listings in Carlton are all based on a 65 grade. Is this true? I always thought Carlton's evaluations are based on gem uncirculated grade What is the reality here?

The 1954 $1 note is another dilemma in it self. The certification says Devil Face which would justify the asking price, but I can clearly see that this note is note a devil face.

Any input on these notes would be great. Thank you

wagnert89
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:08 am »

Good morning, you bring up two good points:
1.  That A/M note is indeed not devil face note.  The holder is mislabeled and should read BC-37a-i.
2.  I interpret the book's back section, the special serial numbers, as the prices based on Unc-60 condition.  The book does mention to subtract certian grade percentages for circulated conditions.  It would be nice if the book clearifed this but maybe it left there purposely for dealers/sellers to use at their discretion to buy cheaper and then try to resell higher if the grades were choice or gem unc?

I saw that ten dollar note and it's unfortunate the pictures are not clearer but It sounds like the seller is using your typical US inflated grade selling point.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:14:26 am by wagnert89 »
TheBurnz
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:24:51 am »

Thank you for your input Wagner. Another point about that $10 note. When I pointed out that buyers could pay a duty fee when the item crosses the border. The response was that the item is coming from Toronto and there would be no duty fee.
Weird considering that the listing clearly says shipped from the United states.
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 01:10:51 pm »

That particular seller always asks the most inflated prices.  You can always make them an offer for 40% of what they are asking and hope for the best.  I did buy an item from them which did indeed ship from Toronto to my pleasant surprise.  They spared no expense on packaging either (came with a free iPad case!) which I guess is to be expected when you're paying 2-3x real world prices.

As for Charlton pricing for fancy serial numbers do yourself a favor and don't even open that section of the book as there is no bearing with reality whatsoever.  I don't think that section has been updated since before CUNC and GUNC were even grades that the catalogue recognized (thus their omission).

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com

Login with username, password and session length