Author
Topic: EOX  (Read 6434 times)
AL-Bob
« on: December 19, 2019, 06:36:24 pm »

Just wondering if anyone has info about the following note:

1991 $20 EOX 0000499

Prefix EOX should have been a $5 note.  Serial number 499 is suggestive of the high-range/scarce multicolored notes which typically end in 499/999 or 500/000.  I am not aware of anything like this for Birds series though.

Have any other examples have been reported?  I'm assuming that at least one full sheet must have made it into circulation seeing as this one is circulated.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:41:57 am »

This is a counterfeit. Even in the 5s there are no EOX prefix. Also where is the OSD that should in the top left corner?
wagnert89
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 09:22:32 pm »

The OSD is missing but are the green security dots raised as expected? Looks like a large one in the "C" on the back plate.  The wrinkles could be from heavy inking and colors are slighly off too as indicators.
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 01:01:31 am »

Holy crap I didn't even notice the missing OSD.  I did not even consider the possibility that is was counterfeit and feel like quite the idiot now.  I have to say that after feeling the paper carefully I am in agreement with JB's assessment.  I'm used to seeing counterfeits of such poor quality that this was a big surprise.  The printed area is textured just like the real thing (must have used an intaglio process) but paper is dull and lifeless.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 10:27:44 am »

Holy crap I didn't even notice the missing OSD.  ...  The printed area is textured just like the real thing (must have used an intaglio process) but paper is dull and lifeless.

- I didn't want to comment on this but I have seen so many fantastic fake notes out there- that I immediately tried to zoom in on the BPN (which is there but blurry).  I then figured you'd feel it to get a good idea what was going on.  Oddly enough, they get so much of the other design elements correct and then screw up on something basic like the font or prefix of the Serial Number (which most people don't monitor). 

AL-Bob
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 12:27:06 pm »

Oddly enough, they get so much of the other design elements correct and then screw up on something basic like the font or prefix of the Serial Number (which most people don't monitor). 

This is what I'm used to seeing but the font used on this note is remarkably accurate.  I can see how this would be difficult to achieve if they want to apply serial numbers that aren't exactly the same for every single note.  I presume that the font used on authentic notes is not just available off the shelf.

I think the unusual prefix is deliberate so that members of the criminal organization can quickly identify their own work.  They are probably not counting on the 0.000001% of the population who collect paper money to notice.  And even so I was foolish enough to think this was a new discovery/error note of some sort.

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 06:11:47 pm »

front plate number is 36 the back plate numbers looks to me like it is 33

Login with username, password and session length