Author
Topic: 1954 $1 Banknote (Not asking for Value) - Margin cut?  (Read 7443 times)
leew23
« on: December 22, 2019, 01:28:04 pm »

Hi again,

The banknote in question is the one seen at the bottom. When I look in comparison to the top banknote, the bottom one seems to be shorter in length and off centre. When you look at the back and line the borders with the top note, the bottom one seems to be centred.

Not too sure if someone cut it, but if you look at the right edge of the bottom note towards the bottom (1/8th or 1/9th from the bottom), there seem to be a piece protruding outward.

Any thoughts as to whether someone did cut it?

Thanks again.

leew23

Northwest5
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 02:37:19 pm »

Hello again,
So one note is a devils face and the other is not.  These different series of notes may well have been cut slightly smaller or larger as per your comparison. Again, this is normal to see slight variations between notes.  Nothing weird going on! 
snowbird1974
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 07:51:24 pm »

Thanks Murray! My understanding now is the protrusion at the lower right edge (front view) is caused by the cutter. Would that be accurate as opposed to a person taking a pair of scissors and cutting it?
wagnert89
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 09:02:26 pm »

Welcome to the forum.  The note is slightly misfit but not anything to make it a series error but enough to prevent it from getting a high gem grade
leew23
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2019, 04:06:47 pm »

Thanks!

Just realized one more thing as it wasn't picked up by the phone camera. There what seems to be ripples on the banknote which is not found in the other note. I read pg. xxiv of GPM 31st ed that "early 1954 issues must have original paper ripples in heavily inked areas." I have attached the image which shows ripples throughout the banknote. I am not sure if that is what is meant by it or if someone spilled something on it which would more than likely produce water stains. Could it be moisture? All my other notes are stored in the same binder and do not have the same ripples.

Thanks again!

William

wagnert89
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 07:38:55 pm »

Yes, that would be the heavy inking ripples

Login with username, password and session length