Author
Topic: 2018 Violet Desmond $10 Banknote - Misalignment of 0  (Read 3332 times)
snowbird1974
« on: December 23, 2019, 02:20:42 pm »

I was browsing through an online platform where the 2018 Violet Desmond banknotes are being sold as containing an error. The so-called error is the alignment of the large 10 font on either side. The 0's from both sides, when shone through the light should be in unison. The error is when the 0s are out of sync (please see top note for the misalignment). Some are selling in the range of $50 (auction) to $150 for circulated notes. There are no records of any being sold yet.

The misalignment can vary in position. I think they are quite common and therefore do not add value to the note.

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 02:43:34 pm by snowbird1974 »
wagnert89
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 07:43:44 pm »

I agree, the misalignment is minor.  It is possible that a  1 mm offset is really 2 mm if the 0 move away from each other.  It appears to be someone tring to make a profit with no real merit merit but maybe someone would collect this if found for face value (just not me). 
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 06:21:12 pm »

Some are selling in the range of $50 (auction) to $150 for circulated notes. There are no records of any being sold yet.
-I hope it remains that way: that no one buys any of these mislabelled banknotes (for more than FV) :( because there is no significant error to speak of and it's always a shame to see people attempting to take advantage of others this way. 

Beatrix
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 01:35:52 am »

If that's worth $150 then I have some one-in-a-million $20 "issue" cutoffs that I could part with for $250 each  (would also accept straight trade 3 for $1000 bill) :D
snowbird1974
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 02:33:10 pm »

Definitely, the consensus is the so called misaligned notes are not genuine error notes. I concur as I also believe they are very common. On a side note, I had a bunch I had takenout from the ATM when they first surfaced and left it sitting in an envelope. I decided to take a look at them. Apparently, there was a break off in the numbers and I am pleasantly surprised I have a repeater.

The year before when I went to the bank to get the Canada 150s, they took a long time to get them out. When I got into the car, I began looking through them and the first 3 bills were CDB4008001 to CDB4008003. I was so excited in anticipation of the next bill: it wasn't CDB4008004. My jaw dropped! I think someone in the back was taking their time looking at the serial numbers.

Oh well!

Best wishes everyone!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 04:02:28 pm »

the first 3 bills were CDB4008001 to CDB4008003. I was so excited in anticipation of the next bill: it wasn't CDB4008004. My jaw dropped! I think someone in the back was taking their time looking at the serial numbers.
-while it's possible (that someone removed the radar) it is also possible that the radar wasn't included in that bundle, brick or whatever run of notes.  They get shuffled all the time.  I checked countless bundles of the "150" and was disappointed far too many times. 

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 05:18:27 pm »

I think someone in the back was taking their time looking at the serial numbers.
LOL
Don’t always blame the tellers for removing notes
When a new series comes out I often go to
Branches asking for new bundles but most of
the time they only like to dispense a limited number of
Notes per customer at the start so they don’t run out quickly
I tell them I’m
Looking for special numbers and ask if I can get a bundle or two and go through
Them take what I Want and give them
Back the bundle(s) when I’m done
If I find any notes I replace them into the bundle and return it
This way you don’t have to leave the bank and get stuck with bundles