Author
Topic: **NEW NOTES appearing out of sequential order**  (Read 13120 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: March 14, 2005, 08:38:12 pm »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:15:37 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 08:55:16 pm »

My theory is this:
They're doing what they did way back before the 1954 series came out: Replacing damaged sheets with sheets bearing the same numbers.

When a sheet gets damaged, they pull it, number a blank sheet with the numbers of the sheet that was pulled, and put this new sheet between the top two sheets (the insert position, between 000/001, and 500/501).

Several members will agree that the Bank of Canada has been trying for years to get us collectors to mind our own business and get off the idea of replacements, inserts, brick hunting, etc. The asterisks were too identifiable, so they tried X notes. That plan had roughly similar success. So they moved to insert notes in the Bonin/Thiessen era. This threw us off for a bit, but once collectors picked up the scent again, the battle renewed itself with even greater intensity as the hunt for inserts continued. Now in what I expect is rather costly for them, they seem to be replacing damaged sheets with sheets bearing the numbers of the damaged sheets. This means no identifiable replacement or insert notes PERIOD. Every number in a run gets issued unless there is a broad gap in production, as can be assumed from several examples we now know about.

The suggestion that these are Quality Control Inspection Notes doesn't fly with me.  Why are they all of a sudden doing this when they've been making banknotes for over a century?

If I am right in my theory, this will eliminate the "A" designation on all further Charlton numbers for Canadian government bank notes, and it will mark the end of an era for one of Tom's sweet tooths.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 11:03:57 pm »

I'm hoping someone will get a brick with both inspection notes and inserts. I think that would put the subject to rest.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 11:39:40 pm »

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 02:15:30 am by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:02:30 am »

The numbers could very well be computer controlled, making them VERY easily settable. I agree this is a rather inefficient method of doing things, but the Bank of Canada HAS been trying to get us off the scent for years.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
JB-2007
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 03:15:30 am »

It would make collecting very boring if we no longer had identifyable replacement notes  >:(
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:45:28 am »

That's exactly what the Bank has been trying to do with the inserts, but we managed to figure them out. So now they're backpedalling even more and going to even more drastic measures to get rid of us pesky collectors. ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2005, 05:43:02 pm »

How about this theory:

Pressmen always pull out sheets from the end of the press to monitor the quality. In the past, this has not affected the numbering, as numbering was the last step in the process and it's easy enough to check without pulling sheets.

Now, it seems pretty clear, that there is at least one step after the numbering (UV ink for sure, maybe more). So, the pressmen are back to their old habits. They feed in numbered sheets, and pull out random sheets during the run.

I suspect that some one might be manually put them back in order, and not either they just don't bother, or someone goofed.
Stinger
  • What trees make the best paper money?
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2005, 10:15:54 pm »

This sounds a lot like what they are doing to the CTC coupons, which are printed by banknote companies.   I posted information about hidden replacement on February 20th under the Canadian Tire topic.  My opinion is that the banknote companies don't want collectors collecting replacement notes.  The future will unfold and we may learn more.  Stinger.
Mike_L
  • So many pretty colours!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 05:26:43 pm »

Same phenomenon with

HOD0532xxx and HOD0534xxx

The notes 222, 388, 499 were between 000 and 001 from both bricks, with 722, 888, and 999 between 500 and 501.

Mike
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2005, 05:51:36 pm »

This is weird.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2005, 06:16:55 pm »

Same phenomenon with

HOD0532xxx and HOD0534xxx

The notes 222, 388, 499 were between 000 and 001 from both bricks, with 722, 888, and 999 between 500 and 501.

Mike

This does sound very much like quality control procedures.  I once worked in a sheet metal fabricating plant where we made things like computer chassis, fluorescent light reflectors, appliance parts, etc.  It was common for us to fill an order of 1,000 of a single item.  Standard quality control procedure was to pull out the first, the 250th, the 500th, the 750th, and the last one for inspection, with two or three more selected from random spots.  They were measured for QC and set aside.  At the end of the run they were just thrown on the top of the completed pile.  This sounds exactly like what is happening with these notes.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
freedomschoice
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2005, 06:35:26 pm »

I forget who said that the Bank od Canada is trying to get us collectors to forget or ignore insert or replacement notes. I have often wondered why collectors think the BOC cares what we think or do. Their mandate is the supply of money and the driving force behind our economic policy here and over seas. Do you honestly believe that our collecting habits make a difference upon their operations or become part of their considerations. The only time the bank steps in for monetary fiscal policy concerning the money supply per se, is when counterfieting becomes so rampant that they design a new series with up dated security features. That is because of  the percieved threat to the integrity of our money supply. So the bad guys are more a concern then us pesky collectors. Remember that the next time when you think the BOC is doing things to either help or hinder our collections. I personally believe as a collector, that we are very low on their totem pole of interests or concerns.

Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2005, 07:42:02 pm »

... I personally believe as a collector, that we are very low on their totem pole of interests or concerns.

That is exactly what I think also  ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 07:42:29 pm by detonate »

moneycow
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2005, 07:49:05 pm »

I 3rd that motion!

Login with username, password and session length