Author
Topic: Bank of Canada plans to issue Upgrade $5 Bank Note  (Read 6045 times)
suretteda
« on: November 16, 2005, 02:27:52 pm »

Bank of Canada plans to issue an Upgrade $5 Bank Note

As part of its ongoing efforts to improve the security of Canadian bank notes, the Bank of Canada plans to issue a $5 bank note with upgraded security features in the second half of 2006.

The upgraded note will have the same security features found on the $10, $20, $50, and $100 notes from the Canadian Journey series issued in 2004 and 2005.

http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/banknotes/index.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2005, 04:58:14 pm by suretteda »
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 03:54:05 pm »

YAY  :)
Its about time too.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
suretteda
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 03:54:07 pm »

The upgraded note will have the same security features found on the $10, $20, $50, and $100 notes from the Canadian Journey series issued in 2004 and 2005.

http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/en/banknotes/index.html
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 09:54:49 pm »

So I guess that this really does prove the story about the focus groups being asked about a $5 coin. I guess they've finally moved on past that idea. :o
Jason
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005, 01:16:01 am »

It's high time that they caught up with the $5!  I like ALL of my money to match!
suretteda
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:25:24 pm »

Bank of Canada plans to issue an Upgrade $5 Bank Note coming in 2006

As part of its ongoing efforts to improve the security of Canadian bank notes, the Bank of Canada plans to issue a $5 bank note with upgraded security features in the second half of 2006.

The security features on the upgraded $5 note will be the same as those on the $20, $50 and $100 notes issued in 2004, and the upgraded $10 issued in 2005. These security features are reliable, quick and easy to use, and difficult to reproduce. The theme (Children at Play) and images of the $5 note will not change.

We will keep you informed of the unveiling and issue dates as soon as they are confirmed. As was the case with the upgraded $10 note, there will be a substantial gap between the unveiling and issue dates in order to accommodate our partners that require time to upgrade their bank note handling equipment. Materials needed to disseminate information regarding this upgrade to those in your organization will also be made available as the unveiling date approaches.

For more information on Canadian bank notes and their security features. visit www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2006, 10:27:50 pm by suretteda »
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 12:34:34 pm »

I have noticed that the new 10s and 20s don't seem to last very long before you find them taped, ripped or with pieces missing. The paper seems to be too brittle and prone to separation at any hard crease. I am wondering if we will see a change in the composition of the paper for the new 5s followed by the other denominations.
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 01:27:03 pm »

I noticed the same thing.  In Charlton, it states the original Journey notes were printed on 100% cotton, then switched to 75% cotton + 25% kraft fibres.  At the same time, BoC had a three-year contract with another paper supplier for the Journey notes with the upgraded security features.  Does anyone know what this paper composition is, and if they have extended their three-year agreement now that all banknotes will require this paper?
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 10:51:40 pm »

I have noticed that the new 10s and 20s don't seem to last very long before you find them taped, ripped or with pieces missing.

Funny I've never noticed this...yet.  With the very used bills I've gotten, it seems the hologram bar holds up pretty well.  But I have yet to find a single one taped or badly ripped.

Marc :)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:18:07 pm »

I have been checking a lot of used "new" $10's and they're in rough shape indeed.  In fact I notice that the colour of the paper around the silver strip (Bank of Canada vertical print) has come off on a lot of notes.  At first I thought that maybe this is a printing variation but then just noted that it this discoloration along the leafy holographic strip is seen in used bills (esp BEU prefix).  
I would not be surprised to hear that the paper lacks the 25% kraft fibre, or is defficient in some way.  

And when I've asked tellers for new bills some of them have said "they're not making them anymore."  For the most part I've dismissed this comment out of ignorance.  But I've since read on the FEV post (High's and lows) that it is an expected change over (year), and we all know there's only a few BEZ/BEY 2005's.  Does this mean there's no 2005 F series (CBN) notes?

Curious

James

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 02:46:58 am »

Well, I am not sure. I will have 3 Bricks of 10's by Monday hopefully. We will see what serials it turns up...  :-/

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!

Login with username, password and session length