Author
Topic: Thoughts on this collection  (Read 4468 times)
TheBurnz
« on: April 06, 2020, 07:05:16 pm »

Hello,

I just purchased this collection. I am not a world banknote collector. I thought it would be fun researching them.

Let me know what you think and in your opinion what an evaluation is.

Thanks

TheBurnz
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2020, 07:06:12 pm »

one more pick, it 100 note collection.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 03:24:15 pm »

A) I thought it would be fun researching them. B) Let me know what you think and C) in your opinion what an evaluation is.
A) Although I still collect CDN banknotes, they're way on the back-burner in comparison to my growing world collection.  I enjoy researching them & learn something new about countries, historical figures, etc. everyday.
B) I think it's great you acquired these & would encourage anyone contemplating branching out into world notes to do so
C) I don't think they would be too expensive.  That is one of the reasons I got into world banknotes (many nations are very inexpensive compared to Canada, USA, Australia & some European nations).  Cannot tell the condition but they mostly look higher grade & from your posts I can make out that they appear to be mostly low denominations (smaller format) & from less expensive dealer stock.

TheBurnz
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 04:21:34 pm »

Thanks @walktothewater,

I actually decided to buy these after watching your youtube video's. I paid $185cad for the collection, plus premium and tax and shipping. total was $225 cad.

In my option well worth all the time of pleasure it will give me to research them. Thanks again for your input.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 02:02:20 pm »

I actually decided to buy these after watching your youtube video's.
- thanks again for watching my videos! I hope you will "like" or "share."

I paid $185cad for the collection
-Can you imagine paying that for 100 CDN banknotes? (well maybe one-hundred 1973 or 1867-1967 circulated $1)  :'(

Enjoy your new collection & if you get a chance, please check out my website too:
https://sites.google.com/view/notaphilycculture/world-banknotes

Snoman2
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2020, 01:04:13 pm »

World notes is one of my favourite things to collect. I love going to Foreign exchanges in airports or their offices in some of the cities I've visited.
I like UNC notes but to be honest I also love XF notes too because you can handle them and not worry about them being dropped or mis-handled when you show non collectors.
I usually have a list of current notes I am looking for, as well as a list of all of the offbeat places like Aruba or Macau, just in case. I always tell them I'm a collector,
and looking to spend about $100 or $50, so they know I'm going to make it worth their time to go through stuff for me. 90% of the time its a good experience, but if they
aren't interested in helping out a collector they will let you know and I just thank them for the time and walk away.

Make a list, and have it ready when you go out looking, you never know what you will find when you tell them you are interested in anything unusual or offbeat.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 07:34:32 pm »

. I love going to Foreign exchanges in airports or their offices in some of the cities I've visited...I usually have a list of current notes I am looking for, as well as a list of all of the offbeat places like Aruba or Macau, just in case. I always tell them I'm a collector,
- That's is a terrific way to collect world banknotes. I have a few buddies who do the same (& they travel a lot). It's always nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes to collect money.  Here's one I got at a local exchange joint just before the lockdown. I first asked the lady there if she had any new GB 20 pound notes (& if she could give me one). If you want to take it one step further, you could get a binder and put them in like "TheBurnz" did (my buddies just keep them in envelopes)  :'(.

BTW: did you ever get the 100 Florin (IBNS 2019 "Banknote of the year" from Aruba?)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 08:07:52 pm by walktothewater »

Snoman2
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 11:08:49 pm »

BTW: did you ever get the 100 Florin (IBNS 2019 "Banknote of the year" from Aruba?)

On occasion I have found some of the old design Aruba Florins, I haven't had a chance to visit any exchanges since the lockdown. Quite often foreign exchanges are happy to unload obscure currencies like Aruba but they rarely turn up. I've been lucky to have found lots of oddball things like a 40 Dinar from Tunisia and commemorative Scottish £5 and £20 Queen Mother notes, and many other things, quite often in Unc. But as I said I'm happy with circulated notes. I always ask if there is anything unusual. If you call ahead or talk to a teller at an exchange that you can return to, they will have notes ready for you to look at and will sometimes order in banknotes, just make it worth their time order a few different things, save up and spend $50 or $100 if you can.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2020, 04:53:06 pm »

If you call ahead or talk to a teller at an exchange that you can return to, they will have notes ready for you to look at and will sometimes order in banknotes, just make it worth their time order a few different things, save up and spend $50 or $100 if you can.

-it's a great (& pretty inexpensive) strategy especially if you don't mind circulated banknotes.  I believe a lot of eBay sellers do just that too (then turn around & sell what they've got).  I personally didn't get into world notes until 2013 after my 2nd trip to Europe. It was at that time that they released the new "Europa" series & I thought I should pick up some of the older designed notes.  I then found https://en.eurobilltracker.com/home/ & discovered that the 2002 Euros were launched with the "Duisenberg" signature (which I could never find in the older notes, asking around, etc.) & that they were only released for a little over a year.  I did try to get some at the banks/exchange places around 2008 but failed since mostly "Trichet" were out by then. I finally decided to buy 1 set (if I wanted them) & that was what got me hooked on World banknotes.  Once I started searching eBay for pre-Euro (& low population island) banknotes/series I discovered that world banknotes are actually pretty cheap (compared to CDN).

Snoman2
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 05:26:35 am »

Once I started searching eBay for pre-Euro (& low population island) banknotes/series I discovered that world banknotes are actually pretty cheap (compared to CDN).

One of my all time favourite small island currencies is the Faroe Islands Kronur. The 1970s notes are expensive but worth it. I love the pen drawing art of the reverse as well as the unique layouts of the obverse of these notes. In the early 2000's they surpassed this and issued an amazing series of new designs featuring water colour paintings of local places and amazing engraved images of animals in an unusual perspective. These notes in unc often sell for about 3x to 5x the exchange rate, but they can also be ordered from the bank of Denmark in Unc sets. Go to this link to see the whole collection of different types, https://notescollector.eu/pages/en/land.php?land=114

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 02:11:22 pm »

One of my all time favourite small island currencies is the Faroe Islands Kronur.
- It is a nice design & it seems to hold its book value (BV) well.

While I'm not a big fan of the Euro ubiquitous design I do like the fact that they're printed in various countries (with matching printing codes) and a prefix which designates where they were released (so some are more common than others).   Furthermore, the 2002 Euros were launched briefly with the "Duisenberg" signature & so I bought a set which included this 20 Euro from Portugal (but printed by TDLR in GB) below left. I paid about 150% BV for the 5 Euro (Y prefix from Greece), 10 Euro (Y/ Greece) & the 20 shown below. I have rarely seen any Euros printed by TDLR so I was pretty happy to score this one.  The 20 Euro banknote (X prefix) pictured on the right came from a much cheaper German set I just bought from a US seller recently. This set was just slightly above BV so a very inexpensive good buy.  Millions more of the German version were printed & released but the Duisenberg signature is always tough to get.

Login with username, password and session length