Author
Topic: Serial Number DB questions  (Read 6335 times)
Canadian Banknotes
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:22:34 pm »

Hi,

Im a new user on this forum.  I have a couple questions about the DB.  How does it work?  IS it just a DB of canadian notes that are owned by the users on this forum?  Are there any tutorials on how to use it? 

I did try to open it up but I didn't quite get the knack of how to use it properly.  Any advice would be great.

Thanks
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 03:10:13 pm »

The DB was originally set up for CPMF members to enter banknote SN (& PN) for the double-denomination $10 BTT & BTU (I believe). It was meant primarily as a means to track the prefixes of the upgraded Journey series as they were released.  (I believe older issues were added on later- so you could add original Journey notes in & more as the wiki site grew).

Some members got access to where prefixes were distributed & many of us have requested a more open look at the data which the new admin has been considering (I believe).  Just log in and enter notes.  Also look at the charts to get a feel for the common vs uncommon prefixes.

Hope that helps

Canadian Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:42 pm »

The DB was originally set up for CPMF members to enter banknote SN (& PN) for the double-denomination $10 BTT & BTU (I believe). It was meant primarily as a means to track the prefixes of the upgraded Journey series as they were released.  (I believe older issues were added on later- so you could add original Journey notes in & more as the wiki site grew).

Some members got access to where prefixes were distributed & many of us have requested a more open look at the data which the new admin has been considering (I believe).  Just log in and enter notes.  Also look at the charts to get a feel for the common vs uncommon prefixes.

Hope that helps

Thanks for the response.  It sounds like a valuable tool.
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 10:44:58 am »

You have raised some interesting points. I think it would be a good idea to write a piece on the Serial Number DB and also to provide some simple how to's to people.

The following is my perspective on the Serial Number DB. Others please feel free to jump in and add or subtract as appropriate.

----------------------------------------------

About Notes and their Recording on CPM Forum

There are two types of catalogs now on the CPM forum. They can be accessed via the "The Notes" and "Serial Number DB" menu. "The Notes" is fairly recent and has come about because of the change in ownership of CPM Forum in the last two years.

I will talk to Serial Number DB in here.

Serial Number DB as a catalog

In simplest form there are two ways (entering notes and making sense of the available information) in which a user can work with Serial Number DB.

Firstly the Serial Number DB acts as a catalog of all the prefixes and serial numbers notes starting with journey series and to the present. Any user can enter the notes providing the following information: Prefix, Serial Number, FPN, BPN. The PN are position numbers which are marked on every note and F stands for Front and B stands for Back. This information can be easily entered by any member in a given format. The Serial Number DB keeps track of the notes entered by a user and makes this information available. For now the identity of the user is kept private although there have been talks about making it public.

Main Drivers of Serial Number DB

Print Layout and Inserts

My sense is that the main reason for the creation of this Serial Number DB was to allow researchers to study the actual print layout of bank notes on sheets. This layout information was important for those who believed that the Bank of Canada printers were inserting replacement notes in a bundle of notes with notes that were taken out of the sequence.

Reporting of Prefixes, High and Lows, Changeover Serial Numbers, Other Quirks

Another reason was to get a sense on the public distribution of notes by prefixes. This could be helpful in a number of ways since Bank of Canada does not provide any publicly verifiable information on it. It would allow the reporting of new prefixes when they first get spotted in circulation. It would give a sense of the relative amount of reported notes of a given prefix (e.g. EKZ, EKY, BSW are reported in relatively lower quantities). This can be surmised from the reporting of the high and low serial numbers of any given prefix. It would give a sense of changeovers in signatures (e.g. GHD, FKN, HCM, HBG).

In some respects the database would also permit some quirks to be explored. For instance it has been noted that the newer polymer prefixes belonging to the same Frontiers Series notes  (HCV onwards or GMB onwards) are now being printed differently - sheet layout and varnish.

More Notes that are Entered Better we are Informed

Having users input information on prefix and serial number is vital for these things. Some people like me maintain their own databases. I have my own database because I have a large amount of images which I connect with the information about prefix and serial number. This is helpful to me in determining relationships of unreported patterns in bank notes and the serial numbers. When you get a chance please do read my articles in the CPM forum journals to get an understanding of this.

I hope this was helpful. I also hope that this will provide some framework for other long time members of this forum to chime in and provide their perspective.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:47:09 am by Rupiah »

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
coinsnpaper
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 06:18:27 am »

I just posted some $100 bills on the database,which are numbers GKH 9988569 and GKH 9988570.

I got a reply that GKH 9988569 is the new highest number. Actually, GKH 9988570 is the new highest number. Is there any way this can be corrected?
coinsnpaper
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2021, 01:23:48 am »

I am wondering when the SNDB will change to the new signatures- $5 last Wilkins-Poloz is IND 8981999, new Wilkins-Macklem starts at IND 8982000; any info on the Lane-Macklem yet?
                                                                                               -$10 last Wilkins-Poloz is FFE 0854999, new Wilkins-Macklem starts at FFE 085500; any info on Lane-Macklem yet?
                                                                                               -$20- I have not seen any information about this series yet.
                                                                                                -$50- last Wilkins-Poloz is GME 6255014, new Wilkins-Macklem starts at GME 6255015; last Wilkins-Macklem is GMN 6119999; first Lane-Macklem is           GMN 6120000.
                                                                                                 -$100 last Wilkins-Poloz is GKL 8999999, new Lane-Macklem starts at GKL 9000000.

I understand all these numbers have been released by the Bank of Canada. I can say that the $5 agrees with bills that I have entered in the SNDB for IND and INE notes. Some of these notes had been printed in 2020, I am guessing, because the person who reported them as coming from the Bank of Canada reported them in 2020, unless I need new glasses. Others were reported in 2021.

Anyways, the SNDB is a valuable tool. Please continue with the good work.

robb4640
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 12:10:46 pm »

Yes,  We need to hear from the Admin.  I believe its getting a bit out of hand for updates that need to be done.  If the admin needs help he needs to ask for help.   The admin has not been in any contact now for months, many months at that.
Once again if anyone knows the Admin or some way to get a hold of them, please reach out so we can have some updates!!

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 08:38:28 pm »

Hello, gentlemen!  Please don't worry, I'm still around and will update the ranges according to the information available.  I've been rather preoccupied with other projects lately but I have every intention to keep the site up-to-date.  The serial number ranges are hard coded in the SNDB source code so it's not something anyone else can modify very easily for now.  I'm working on making these modifiable by users with sufficient privileges but that will be for the next major update that's been much delayed but still forthcoming.  In the meantime, I will update them with the information that has been provided by users.
robb4640
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 02:36:43 pm »

Thank you for getting back to us!! I see the updates are done now.

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 02:40:08 pm »

New signatures/ranges have been added according to the information provided by coinsnpaper and others.

Have any $20 notes with W-M or L-M signatures been seen?

I received private messages from some users who could not enter notes due to incorrect FPN/BPN combinations.  If you have encountered this problem can you please post what the FPN/BPN were?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 04:13:53 pm »

I like the new look! Great job.

I have not seen any new signatures on the $20 (no Wilkens-Macklem nor Lane- Macklem)

A new GMN change-over starting point Lane- Macklem series is GMN 6120000 on the $50 was posted here:
https://cdnpapermoney.com/index.php?topic=15852.msg69715#new
edit @4:30pm
[Oops: I see you got it now - just reading the charts incorrectly]
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 04:30:51 pm by walktothewater »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 04:42:04 pm »

One thing I believe is confusing:
for the Macklem-Carney HBG notes,
https://cdnpapermoney.com/sndb/?action=sndb;area=hl;c=20135mcc

you've included all 5 of the green insert ranges. Only the 2 3M ranges belong with M-C.
The 6M & two 7M sheet replacement ranges belong with the later Macklem-Poloz range (above 4.7 M)

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 10:29:48 pm »

Nice catch.  For some reason all HBG inserts were being loaded into the list.  It should now be filtering the results to match the range being shown.

One thing I believe is confusing:
for the Macklem-Carney HBG notes,
https://cdnpapermoney.com/sndb/?action=sndb;area=hl;c=20135mcc

you've included all 5 of the green insert ranges. Only the 2 3M ranges belong with M-C.
The 6M & two 7M sheet replacement ranges belong with the later Macklem-Poloz range (above 4.7 M)
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 10:35:26 pm »

I've also enabled pages that were previously restricted, including raw query, BTT/BTU errors and recently added notes.  Hopefully this doesn't crash the site with too many requests to the database!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2021, 09:37:09 am »

I've also enabled pages that were previously restricted, including raw query, BTT/BTU errors and recently added notes.  Hopefully this doesn't crash the site with too many requests to the database!

I hope so too as that's a powerful (SWEET) feature!

I won't say much more b/c I don't want the site to crash (or spoil it for those who haven't gotten a taste). Hopefully, if you're a collector who really cares what's significant, you'll want to investigate & enjoy this new feature.

Kudos to the admin!

Login with username, password and session length