Author
Topic: 1937 Bank of Canada notes some Missing Planchettes?  (Read 4584 times)
Canadian Banknotes
« on: May 16, 2020, 01:41:59 pm »

Hi,

Ive noticed while looking at some graded notes from the 1937 series.  Two things specifically stick out to me.  While looking at some bills that appear to be quite clean and bright paper have less or barely visible planchettes. The reverse is also true.  I have noticed bills with much darker more 'original' looking paper with more planchettes.  I dont want to speculate as to why this is true but I feel like I have an idea.  Has anybody noticed this or have any ideas as to why this is so in allot of cases.

AL-Bob
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 01:48:06 pm »

Different types of paper were used throughout 1937 series.  Earlier notes used darker cream-coloured paper.  Sometime in the late 40s they switched to a very bright white paper.  Not sure how this relates to the planchettes but it has nothing to do with notes being cleaned or altered if that's what you are implying.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Canadian Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 01:53:25 pm »

Different types of paper were used throughout 1937 series.  Earlier notes used darker cream-coloured paper.  Sometime in the late 40s they switched to a very bright white paper.  Not sure how this relates to the planchettes but it has nothing to do with notes being cleaned or altered if that's what you are implying.

Thanks Bob that was quick.  Interesting I didn't know about the paper change.  That would explain the shift in paper color but doesn't explain the planchettes being missing.  Same Series same Catalogue number but lower grades with planchettes and cleaner looking bills without.  Im still researching this and its not always the case.

Thanks again
AL-Bob
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 02:30:14 pm »

Here are two notes, first with the darker paper and second with the bright paper (last prefix before the '54 series).  Both have planchettes although you could argue that they are less visible on the latter note.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Canadian Banknotes
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 02:46:15 pm »

Here are two notes, first with the darker paper and second with the bright paper (last prefix before the '54 series).  Both have planchettes although you could argue that they are less visible on the latter note.

Nice looking bills.  Just observation not exactly sure what it means but there is something there.  Whether they are faded somehow, didnt show on the much brighter paper or possibly other reasons im not sure.  Thanks for the references.

Regards

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 11:52:25 pm »

I concur with AL-Bob & some 37's (like 54"s) have lots of planchettes while others don't. Some planchettes look bright green while others appear faded.  The 1st two images show Osborne-Towers BC21a (early cream coloured paper) lots of planchettes on back & the 2nd image shows front with one.  The third/last images are Coyne-Towers BC21d (white paper & no visible planchettes but there's 3 faded planchettes visible on the front).  You don't see much a difference on the scans but you will see the paper is not as bright on the earlier 1937 note in person. I've seen the same pattern on early Modified 1954 (dark tint & several planchettes) and lighter tint/less planchettes on the later prefixes. 

« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 11:59:41 pm by walktothewater »

Canadian Banknotes
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2020, 07:51:51 am »

I concur with AL-Bob & some 37's (like 54"s) have lots of planchettes while others don't. Some planchettes look bright green while others appear faded.  The 1st two images show Osborne-Towers BC21a (early cream coloured paper) lots of planchettes on back & the 2nd image shows front with one.  The third/last images are Coyne-Towers BC21d (white paper & no visible planchettes but there's 3 faded planchettes visible on the front).  You don't see much a difference on the scans but you will see the paper is not as bright on the earlier 1937 note in person. I've seen the same pattern on early Modified 1954 (dark tint & several planchettes) and lighter tint/less planchettes on the later prefixes.

I see what you mean.   Could have something to do with the paper since that is the other factor that shifts with the planchettes being more faded or non existent.  I was looking at 37's and noticed so it piqued my interest.  You guys are a wealth of knowledge, much appreciated.
Dannyscandc
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2020, 02:29:00 pm »

With regards to the difference in paper during the 1937 series, I do remember reading a while ago (cannot remember where) that Gordon-Towers signature runs had multiple stocks used during the wartime period due to scarcity, rationing etc. I believe the Coyne-Towers notes were printed towards the end of 1949 or the start of 1950. That would be my best guess.
Canadian Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2020, 03:31:41 pm »

With regards to the difference in paper during the 1937 series, I do remember reading a while ago (cannot remember where) that Gordon-Towers signature runs had multiple stocks used during the wartime period due to scarcity, rationing etc. I believe the Coyne-Towers notes were printed towards the end of 1949 or the start of 1950. That would be my best guess.

Interesting that seems quite likely given the shortages and issue arising around that time.  Thanks for the input Danny!

Login with username, password and session length