Poll

Given the choice which attribute would you most likely choose over the others?

Good Centering
3 (20%)
Clean Edges and Corners
1 (6.7%)
Bright vibrant colors
4 (26.7%)
Crease free surface
1 (6.7%)
Stain & Dirt Free Surface
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author
Topic: Which aesthetic attributes do you prefer over the other? You cant have them all!  (Read 5259 times)
Canadian Banknotes

Im purposely leaving option 6 out which would be It depends.  Hypothetically you are faced with an option.  You really want to acquire a particular banknote.  You have three of them in front of you but, they all have quite different attributes.  One is vibrant but off center, one has clean edges and corners but is slightly O/C and a little less vibrant.  Well you get the point.  Which attribute do you find more pleasing than the others?  I think I know which one most would go with but lets see where this goes.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:32:36 pm by Canadian Banknotes »
Canadian Banknotes

Wow only 3 votes including myself.  Come on guys vote! :)
AL-Bob

I would prefer a note that is so rare that you won't care about any of those attributes.  And that you will never have three or even two to choose from.   For example:

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Canadian Banknotes

What a beauty!  I love the look of the old notes.  I should add a last option for the poll, but I guess in actuality when rarity is involved it sometimes trumps all other things.  If thats youre note congrats!  Looks like a nice addition to the PC.
AL-Bob

To answer your original question, it really depends on the severity of the defects.  I would prefer an Unc note with a stain to a VG note (lots of creases).  Centering, corners, edges are important, but mostly when you are looking at Gem notes. 

Also, stains and dirt can sometimes be removed.  I don't advocate altering any original notes but removing stains is a legitimate form of conservation, provided it can be done without causing additional damage.  Some types of stains (eg: foxing, mold, etc) in fact should be removed to prevent further deterioration.  It might be worth buying such a note at a discount if you can have it restored with an experienced conservator.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 07:42:26 am by AL-Bob »

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Canadian Banknotes

To answer your original question, it really depends on the severity of the defects.  I would prefer an Unc note with a stain to a VG note (lots of creases).  Centering, corners, edges are important, but mostly when you are looking at Gem notes. 

Also, stains and dirt can sometimes be removed.  I don't advocate altering any original notes but removing stains is a legitimate form of conservation, provided it can be done without causing additional damage.  Some types of stains (eg: foxing, mold, etc) in fact should be removed to prevent further deterioration.  It might be worth buying such a note at a discount if you can have it restored with an experienced conservator.

Its very interesting what we find acceptable and not.  I would say overall stains for me is very unpleasant aesthetically, would follow that with creases and then centering.  I would rather have slightly dull corners and a little rougher of edges than have a note that is somewhat dirty looking.  Again rarity is something that may trump these other factors but given the choice of course.  Two each is own.
Canadian Banknotes

We are up to 4 votes now! 
Seth
  • Very Senior Member

That is the largest serial number size I have ever seen! Wow

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture

I would prefer a note that is so rare that you won't care about any of those attributes.

AL-Bob - you got an awesome piece of history that's probably unique but I prefer a note that has eye appeal.

I agree that
Centering, corners, edges are important, but mostly when you are looking at Gem notes.

so if you have nice edges/corners, typically the design is centred.  Usually one goes with the other.  But I'm not desperate for points on a TPG holder (& I will settle for nice AU, UNC & Choice too).  I really like "original" over pressed or dull colours (due to cleaning/pressing or whatever).

I really like a banknote with its original "bright colours," since I've purchased the odd note that's a bit off-centered (its doesn't bother me that much). Counting flicks & other minor detractions are no "biggy." Tears/graffiti are big turn-offs.

I think its great that everyone has their own tastes in this hobby. 

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member

We are up to 4 votes now!

I think it shows that to most people "it depends".

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Canadian Banknotes

I think it shows that to most people "it depends".

I couldn't agree more.  It depends.  But of course if you could only choose one.  Of course I would be given the opportunity to procure a very rare note.  Even if it had attributes that I wouldn't normally find very appealing.  I think all other factors aside staining and dirty paper kills it for me.  This sometimes keeps me away from pre 1937 charter notes that are in the VF - EF range.  But of course the absolute mint copies are a re fortune these days because they are so hard to come across.
moneycow

I realize this is old, but I just found it.
After responding to the poll I was surprised to see I'm the only person so far that prefers good centering.  I really like nice even borders and find it quite distracting when off centre.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture

After responding to the poll I was surprised to see I'm the only person so far that prefers good centering.
- I think you're in good company.  The majority of collectors over at CCF (US based site) point out if a banknote is the least bit off centre so I think it's safe to say that those who've answered this poll probably had likely focussed more on the note's design/integrity.  There have been many posts & discussions in the past on whether a note is original (or EPQ) so there could be a slight bias that way too (or matter of interpretation).

But that doesn't mean the typical collector isn't that obsessed with these particular qualities of any particular TPG note.  Many look to how well the design is placed & the notes that are 'off' are usually given odd point grades like: Unc 61, 63, or Unc 65.  (I believe this is the convention so even TPG are biased against off-centred designs).  So I think there are a lot of collectors who'll wish to have Unc 62; Unc 64 or Unc 66 over the odd numbers (& of course UNC 68 & star 70's from PMG  :D)

Many of today's banknote series are less design dependent (for nice eye appeal) so I think many savvy collectors are deemphasizing their design-centric criteria.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:33:41 am by walktothewater »

Login with username, password and session length