Author
Topic: Thought s on these Banknotes  (Read 4123 times)
TheBurnz
« on: October 05, 2020, 11:33:58 am »

Hello,

Might pull  the trigger on these notes, if the price is right. Looking for your thoughts and if you see any red flags?

A couple seem to have some good value, but I assume the condition is key.

I fancy the Gabon note and its condition, but the other two African notes seem to be rare.

Is the West African 10 schilling note a reproduction? How can you tell?

Thank you in advance

« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 12:59:10 pm by TheBurnz »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2020, 08:31:59 pm »

A) Might pull  the trigger on these notes, if the price is right. Looking for your thoughts and if you see any red flags?

B) A couple seem to have some good value, but I assume the condition is key.

C) I fancy the Gabon note and its condition, but the other two African notes seem to be rare.

D) Is the West African 10 schilling note a reproduction? How can you tell?

IMO:
A) Whatever you think "the price is right' keep it low very low factoring in all the taxes, inflated delivery/postal charges and crazy 15-20% buyer's premium.  If it were me, I'd be only checking notes like those on eBay and not an auction house. I see 2 red flags right off the bat.  The 1st (top image) looks like a banknote that was washed (or mounted) since its so faded (& likewise for the West African note, though not so severe). VG-F on both.

I've seen countless lots like the one you've posted go for very little BIN. See https://www.ebay.com/itm/EUROPE-LOT-11-NOTES-AUSTRIA-ENGLAND-SWITZERLAND-GERMANY-HIGH-VALUE-7RW-05MAR/202615655859?hash=item2f2cd58db3:g:X8IAAOSwUnJcfnUN so I wouldn't even consider bidding on such circulated lots like the group you posted.

B) Condition is everything otherwise there is no such thing as "good value" in terms of assessing your revised collection's inherent & extrinsic value. I could instead write buy whatever you like (as many out there would suggest) but I just cannot recommend someone be careless with their money. Remember you don't want a hoard of notes, you want a "collection of collectible notes" (& you should really have good reasons why you want any particular banknote).  Is it for a type set? Is it for a country you're missing? Does it have to be now? Remember, the economy is still limping along. I've seen "newbies" often engaged in bidding frenzies so hammer prices are still pretty robust. I haven't really seen the market cool down for world notes.

C) The Gabon note appears to be in decent condition but it is nearly impossible to tell just from the small images.   

D)  I don't know the auction house/service/platform but you have to take a leap of faith that the note has been vetted & is authentic. If you have doubts then "don't pull the trigger."

TheBurnz
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2020, 08:53:14 am »

Awesome info as usual. I have minimum bid of $15 on each lot. I have not put a bid of the group lot, so with your info I will skip over that.

When I researched the notes, I saw some pretty high price tags but again they were not sold price tags just asking prices. I will hold strong on my bids at $15 each, which will no doubt be $30 plus each if I win.

Thank you again for the information.

Enjoy your day
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 05:15:35 pm »

Great to hear. Hope (if you win) it doesn't tally up too high. Let us know how it all works out.

Login with username, password and session length