Author
Topic: Auction platforms different premiums  (Read 2520 times)
alanmr
« on: January 16, 2021, 02:39:13 pm »

Something I noticed on the Champagne auction today was it was on 2 platforms, Icollector with a 20% premium and on swappy.com with a 15% premium
I had 2 windows open and could see who the "floor" bids were.
There were some high bids so saving 5% can add up.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 03:52:49 pm »

Re: Icollector, From the $2 0000001 thread:

I used them but they're a bit dodgy in my books & I no longer do.  I won a $5 DF that was listed as UNC.  BCS graded it as AU50 (fortunately "Original" but not UNC) which turned that into an expensive mistake.  I also rarely won anything that didn't experience a last minute bidding frenzy no matter how lame the item (which makes me suspect shill bidding).  Another collector friend observed many items be mysteriously re-listed (& has thought the same after using them for years). He tried to pick up won items from the auction house with a lot of grief (finding his lot, paying extra fees, etc).  They also mislabelled a banknote (which fortunately they did not press me to buy) & tried to tax me on a gold coin.  Lots of hassles. In fact, if you do go ahead & use them I highly recommend you pay close attention to their invoices.   Don't bid on anything raw (or assume the item is at least a grade lower).  I will never use them again (no matter how attractive their lots be).

[I also agree with Al-Bob in that they run more like a pawn shop & I think that they are as successful as they are since there is so little Canadian competition (at least in the GTA)].  Never heard of swappy.com

AL-Bob
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 04:55:09 pm »

iCollector is an online auction platform used by many auctioneers including Geoffrey Bell and Colonial Acres.  The discussion on the other thread was regarding "Champagne Auctions" so I'm not sure what those comments have to do with iCollector.

As far as the discrepancy in fees is concerned, thank you for pointing that out, alanmr.  I didn't know there was another platform available that was cheaper in this case.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com

Login with username, password and session length