Author
Topic: Huge bank haul today!  (Read 3543 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: November 27, 2020, 01:02:38 am »

I couldn’t believe my luck today!
My local bank let me buy as many vintage bills out of the mutilated pile as I wanted!
They said to come back next week because there will be more!
I put the 1954 notes in holders... :D

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 11:33:22 am »

I couldn’t believe my luck today!
My local bank let me buy as many vintage bills out of the mutilated pile as I wanted!
They said to come back next week because there will be more!
I put the 1954 notes in holders... :D

Vow!

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 05:47:39 pm »

Awesome (& those $5 Birds look in AU-UNC condition!) We rarely see old banknotes from the bank's mutilated/to be returned pile, in that kind of condition. Congrats!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2020, 09:08:15 am »

Awesome (& those $5 Birds look in AU-UNC condition!) We rarely see old banknotes from the bank's mutilated/to be returned pile, in that kind of condition. Congrats!

I was pleased with this haul.
The 1954 notes were a nice surprise; I did turn down one note though...It was a 1967 commemorative $1
with regular serial numbers  that was mostly scotch tape.  (I did check to see if it was an asterisk note though)   :D

Those $5 notes were so nice that I ended up selling them less than 24 hours later to someone who wanted them more than I did!   ;D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 11:27:37 pm by Dean »

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 01:48:34 pm »

That's an amazing haul, you even got a 1000$ note too! 
I can only imagine how much more was there, especially since the teller told you to come back next week!  :D

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 10:20:30 pm »

That's an amazing haul, you even got a 1000$ note too! 
I can only imagine how much more was there, especially since the teller told you to come back next week!  :D

There were four additional $1000 notes...All Birds series.  The teller let me look at them and none of them were replacements and they all had tears so I just took the one that I wanted.  I turned down one 1967 Centennial note that was torn in half and repaired with tape.

There was a crap ton of Journey notes, no rare prefixes though and about half of the pile was new polymer notes that were torn or repaired with tape!

To be honest, I did not look through all of the Journey notes as I was taking up the time and resources of two tellers who were being super nice.  There were other customers in the bank and they were giving me dirty looks...So I took what I could in the time I had.

The teller said that he was going to ship the stack of notes that my haul came from that day, but he told me that I was lucky that he was "feeling lazy" because he missed the deadline to send it out the DAY BEFORE!   ???  Wow...Imagine all of those beautiful paper notes being consigned to the shredder... :'(

I made some valuable contacts at that branch and I will surely be back next week.  The tellers even said that they will save stuff for me in the future.  I will bring a nice gift for them next week.  :)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 10:23:58 pm by Dean »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2020, 01:26:38 pm »

To be honest, I did not look through all of the Journey notes as I was taking up the time and resources of two tellers who were being super nice.

- that was a VERY wise move. Besides, the odds of snagging any of those tough Journeys prefixes (or a special #) are actually pretty remote. I took up hours upon hours of tellers time & may have found 1 ragged 2003 BEK, 1 2004 BER, & a BET $10 that resembled a used Kleenex. (Never found 2003 BEL/BER or BEP). Some of my best finds had to be put back into circulation b/c I didn't have the heart to list them on eBay (& wouldn't want a collector to buy it!) The same can be said for the latter BTV $10, APM $5 & all the last of the 2011 HAE_HAL $5 prefixes. Most of my finds were brutal (& uncollectible). As far as special numbers go- the same can be said- and I've gone through bricks (1000) at a time and not found 1 repeater (let alone a radar) at times.  Once you've done this type of searching for a while you come to appreciate how hard these collectible banknotes really are & that's why collectors are willing to pay a premium for same.  Don't make a friendly/helpful teller regret their kindness to you.

Login with username, password and session length