Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59575 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #330 on: February 16, 2023, 06:03:56 pm »

February 16th mail call.

I bought this small group of 1954 notes specifically for the out of register cut $20.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #331 on: February 17, 2023, 07:18:17 pm »

February 17th finds: Main branch treasure hunt, part 1

This afternoon, I decided to try my luck by going straight to Downtown Toronto’s main branches on Bay Street.

I got the stock line that “we are not allowed to give out old bills once they come in”. From Scotiabank, and TD.  CIBC and BMO both said that they “didn’t have anything”, but my bank paid out big time by giving me a whole pile of multicoloured notes and $41 in pennies!

Some of these notes really are ready for the shredder, but I took everything they had, sight unseen and the head teller didn’t bat an eye when I said that I would take it all.

The highlight is a three digit radar note, ECG3321233.

Sorry Claude, all of the”B”s on the $1s are the big “B” variety.☹️

There was also one 1971 $10 with a nice vintage Bank of Montreal stamp on it.

I also took a close look at the VV prefix $10…one “V” looks larger than the other “V”…Claude, could we possibly have another variety here?😀. Big V, little V on the first V?  Does anybody else have any VV $10s to compare with this one?

All in all, it was a good day’s hunt!

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 07:11:09 am by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #332 on: February 17, 2023, 07:40:21 pm »

February 17th finds, continued…Main branch treasure hunt part 2!

I withdrew some regular cash as well as the mutilated notes…$500 in fives and $500 in tens.

So far, I got one Rogers Macklem FFK note from the tens and several INK $5s…only one of which is signed by Lane/Macklem.

And here’s a picture of the $20.50 in penny rolls…🤣

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 07:44:38 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #333 on: February 19, 2023, 05:19:29 pm »

February 19th finds:  More fun at the bank machine!

I withdrew some notes from the bank machine today and I got a bunch of $5 “close calls”…almost radars.

And I received one Lane Macklem INR prefix note…

From Friday’s polymer withdrawal, I forgot to mention that I got $5 HBN sheet replacement note…They are still out there!

Enjoy,
Dean

PS:  I have noticed several really ratty polymer notes out of the bank machines and even from tellers at the bank…These notes are so worn that the polymer substrate is visible and the design is worn right off.

The chartered banks really need to do a better job of culling the worn polymer notes; it’s embarrassing to use such tattered and tired notes.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #334 on: February 21, 2023, 08:07:31 am »

PS:  I have noticed several really ratty polymer notes out of the bank machines and even from tellers at the bank…These notes are so worn that the polymer substrate is visible and the design is worn right off.

The chartered banks really need to do a better job of culling the worn polymer notes; it’s embarrassing to use such tattered and tired notes.

-This has been my experience in the past 4 years (especially with the TENS & TWENTIES).  Not so bad with the FIVES & FIFTIES (a steady stream of newer prefixes or runs of new notes). Just before Christmas, I got whole batches of new TENS & thought they were going to cull the old 2013 (finally) but that did not materialize as I still got the old MacDonald notes soon enough (with see-through worn out polymer substrate).  There seems to be no active culling going on at most branches I go to.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #335 on: February 22, 2023, 05:39:10 pm »

February 22nd finds:

A snowstorm brings paper money and black toonies…

I stopped by a bank that I don’t have an account with.  The friendly teller there had some mutilated notes and rolls of black toonies that he was willing to sell to me as long as I had enough cash on hand to buy it.

So I ended up with some birds $2s (one of which is BBA with the Big B), some $1s, five rolls of black toonies and 17 journey $100s.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #336 on: February 24, 2023, 07:09:57 am »

February 23rd finds:
Main branch madness!

I went to the main branch of my bank yesterday and the tellers were nice enough to give me these mutilated notes.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #337 on: February 24, 2023, 08:40:33 pm »

February 24th mail call!

This 1937 $1 arrived in the mail today.
It features a hand written date of June 14 1947.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #338 on: February 28, 2023, 05:26:38 pm »

February 28th finds:

A few paper notes a couple of changeovers and more black toonies.

I stopped by one of my banks on the way home today.  The teller gave me a few paper journey notes and four black toonie rolls.

I withdrew some cash from the machine as I was leaving and I got a FFK Rogers Macklem $10 and an INK Lane Macklem $5 amidst a pile of raggedy disgusting polymer $5s and $10s that should have been withdrawn months ago and sent to the shredder.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #339 on: March 01, 2023, 07:19:02 pm »

March 1st finds:

Follow the toonie trail…

I had to go to the bank today on some routine business.  While at the teller, I asked if they had black toonie rolls or paper bank notes.  The teller said that there were no new black toonie rolls, but that there were some black ones in the customer wrapped rolls.

He retrieved a roll of toonies for me that had three black ones in it.  I took a closer look at all of the coins when I got home and I was pleased to find a 2006 toonie with the RCM logo and another 2006 toonie with no logo.
The highlight of the roll was a 2012 old design toonie— the first one I have ever found in circulation!

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 01, 2023, 07:20:51 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #340 on: March 02, 2023, 06:13:52 pm »

March 2nd finds: More paper…

I received an email from one of my tellers advising me that she had more paper notes.
I went to the branch and she said that I should take what I wanted because she had to ship them out at the end of the day.  Apparently, branches are not allowed to keep more than $10k in mutilated notes and coins on hand at any time.

Sorry Claude, all of the $100s were small “B” variety notes…☹️

So I picked through a pile of birds $100s and a pile of birds $20s.  Most of them were ready for the shredder, but I chose a few nicer $20s and a couple of $100s.

To my surprise, one of the birds $20s was an EVB prefix without the back plate number!  Ofcourse, it has to be the worst condition of the four $20 notes in this lot.   :D

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #341 on: March 04, 2023, 11:51:23 am »

March 3rd finds:  More main branch madness!

I received these notes from the main branch of my bank yesterday.  Most appear to be ready for the shredder, but there are a few hidden gems in the lot including a 1973 $1 with handwriting on it and a BBP 1986 $2 note.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #342 on: March 04, 2023, 02:21:14 pm »

March 4th finds:

While running errands this afternoon, I stopped into a bank that I don’t usually get anything from, but this time, they had $3.65 in pennies that they allowed me to take home.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #343 on: March 06, 2023, 08:01:26 pm »

March 6th finds:
Two for two!

One of my teller contacts emailed me today and said that he had a bunch of paper notes.  Of course, I had to go to see what surprises came out of the cash cage…

The haul included a few multicolour $1s, lots of birds notes and a few journey notes too.  Nothing too special, but there was one birds $5 with slightly misaligned left and right serial numbers.

After picking up these notes, I went into a different bank across the street.  I went in cold and asked if they had any old bank notes…And the teller came back with a bunch of multicoloured $1s, some $2s, a couple of $5s, some birds $20s and a birds $50.

If that wasn’t enough, the teller said that he also had six US $2 bills…All from the Federal Reserve in Atlanta.  So of course I bought them too.

Enjoy!
Dean

whitenite
« Reply #344 on: March 06, 2023, 10:15:38 pm »

On Saturday March 4th, I hit an estate deposit at the local RBC where 40 Bird $100 banknotes were available. After the discussion regarding the Big B and Little B on the Bird $100 from C. Beaulieu, I had to take them home and take a closer look.  There are some differences in the B's but I would like to see a further discussion from the Forum.  The BJD and BJB notes are very interesting but we need to have a discussion if these different B warrant a special category.  I also picked up an "AJX" which is a nice bonus.  Anyways, please look at the picture and let us have a discussion regarding Big B and Little B like the Bird $2 banknotes.

Login with username, password and session length