Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 64621 times)
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #345 on: March 08, 2023, 05:12:05 pm »

Hi,
Thank you to show all your 100$.I take a look and they are all regular ''small B ''.When you look at the prefix the large ''B'' is really easy to see the difference of a small''B''.Take a look on my topic(my last discovery) it have a picture of a  100$ BJD with one large ''B'' on right side and small''B'' on the left side.If you have 2$ with this kind of variety please let me know.I apreciate when you show your find.
Tanks.
Claude
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2023, 06:39:44 am »

March 8th finds:  Bank error in your favour…

I went to one of my regular banks yesterday to ask for paper notes.  The friendly tellers obliged by showing me a stack of journey $100s and three journey $10s.
One of the tellers then pulled out a 1973 $1 and a birds $2 from the drawer and gave them to me.
When I tried to give him $3 in exchange, he refused it…
Confused, I asked him why he wouldn’t accept my $3.  He said that a customer came in the previous day and “handed in” the notes, saying that they were now “worthless”. 
I educated the teller by telling him that while the notes have lost legal tender status, all it means is that merchants have the right to refuse payment if you present old currency and that individuals can still obtain full face value for the notes at any financial institution in perpetuity because the notes have not been demonetized.

So, I got $3 free from the bank.  I’m keeping these two notes in my collection just because of the story behind them. :)

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2023, 09:12:37 pm »

March 10th finds:
Main branch madness!

I went to the main branch of my bank today, braving the snow hoping for some treasures.
When I get to a teller, she goes to the vault to check for paper notes and comes back empty handed.  Determined to salvage the situation, I ask this teller if she has any American $2 notes.

The teller explains that “because US $2s aren’t used, we can’t accept them and the Bank of Canada won’t take them”.  Talk about crossed wires…I wondered how this young lady even got a job as a bank teller.

Just then, an older more experienced teller who was walking by told the young teller “we actually have a few US $2s and you can take them from customers if they bring them in.”

The senior teller then brings out four US $2s and hands them to me.

So Although I ended up striking out with Canadian paper notes today, I walked away with some US $2s, one of which is a series 1953C red seal note with a wide left margin!

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #348 on: March 12, 2023, 05:53:39 pm »

March 12th mail call.

I finally made it to the post office to pick up a package from my friend in New Brunswick.

I bought three mint rolls of 1991 quarters from him and he also found some cool paper money at his bank that he saved for me, including a nice 1971 $10, a birds $100 radar note and a journey $100 replacement note!
The tattered journey $5 was also part of the package, but it was nothing special.

It’s always nice to have friends who look for notes, isn’t it?

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 12, 2023, 05:55:13 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #349 on: March 13, 2023, 05:31:51 pm »

March 13th finds:
Downtown banks 0 for 5.  ☹️

I tried my luck finding paper money at several banks in downtown Toronto this afternoon…with no luck at all.
But I did find an Indian rupee and ten cents on the ground so it wasn’t a total loss.  🤣

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #350 on: March 14, 2023, 04:34:16 pm »

March 14th find: A “grand” day at the bank.

I stopped into a bank that I hadn’t visited in quite some time and the teller gave me a 1954 $1000 note.
He said that an old lady come in every few weeks and brings one in. (What is it with little old ladies…they seem to have drawers full of cash everywhere!)

Apparently, this little old lady has been depositing $1000 notes on a semi regular basis for over two years.  Unfortunately, the teller said that he marks them for destruction as soon as they come in and he was unwilling to contact me if more $1000s do show up.

It was just blind luck that I happened to come in today because the teller said that he was just about to “send the note out”.

I will say that it has been quite some time since I last found a $1000 note.  $1000 notes are less frequently found in the mutilated piles these days.

Enjoy!

Dean

« Last Edit: March 14, 2023, 04:37:08 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #351 on: March 15, 2023, 12:17:40 pm »

March 15th finds:
Another day, more paper money!

I was at my favourite bank today (for other business) and I stopped by the cash cage on my way out.

The friendly teller gave me some journey notes, some birds notes and a couple of multicoloured notes.  Not the best quality notes today, but beggars can’t be choosers.

The highlight is the journey $50 birthday note AHM 1964317…March 17th 1964 or July 31st 1964.

There are plenty of notes to be found…if you are persistent.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #352 on: March 15, 2023, 12:19:45 pm »

For Claude:

I have this $2 with a big “B” and small “B” in my collection.

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #353 on: March 16, 2023, 09:12:53 am »

March 15th finds:  Main Branch Madness!

I stopped by the main branch of my bank yesterday on some routine business.  While there, I asked for paper money and the teller brought out two journey $50s and $100s.

Nothing too special in this lot, but there is a BKM short run $100 in there and the fact that the staff willingly give paper notes to me is something not to take for granted.

To make matters better, I found 10 cents on the ground and received a colourized 2017 quarter in my change yesterday!

Enkoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:54:46 pm by Dean »

Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #354 on: March 16, 2023, 05:56:59 pm »

Hi Dean,
Thank you for the picture of the 2$BGJ with one large''B''.I'll put this information in my registry.If you want to sell it,let me know.
Thanks.
Claude
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #355 on: March 17, 2023, 05:38:58 pm »

March 17th finds:
Well, today was certainly a lucky day at the banks for me.  I got three bank bags of $25 in pennies and a black toonie from one branch and a few paper notes from another branch.

The highlight is the $1 note…It’s a repeater!

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #356 on: March 17, 2023, 05:55:23 pm »

March 17th mail call and miscellaneous find:

I arrived home to find two packages waiting for me.  The contents included a 1000 Japanese yen note (that I bought for less than face value) and this 1937 $1 that has “found March 13/52” on the front and “found March 13,1952” on the back.

If somebody actually found $1 on the ground back in 1952, they must have felt like a millionaire!  Imagine how much $1 could buy 71 years ago…

The third note is a regular polymer $5 I received in change…It has a washed out message written in ink on the back.  I am not sure what it reads.

The fourth note has to be the worst condition note I ever paid money for.  But it is a number 10000, so I bought it (very cheaply).  This 1967 note would definitely be sent for shredding if it was in the wild.  It looks like someone had it in their wallet for a VERY long time…

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #357 on: March 20, 2023, 05:35:49 pm »

March 20th finds, part 1.

I forgot to post photos of a Macklem-Carney $5 I found the other day in my change…so here it is.  Part 2 gets better!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #358 on: March 20, 2023, 05:42:16 pm »

March 20th finds, part 2.

I received some pretty cool items from my friend in New Brunswick…He hunts for silver, but when the bank has notes, he picks them up for me.

Among the highlights is this really nice 1937 $2, and a 1954 $1 replacement note.
Also found was a repeater and a radar from the latest vertical $10s!
My friend also scored an original Bank of Canada bundle dated 22092014 (more on this in a separate post).
It’s amazing that after all this time that 2013 dated $10s are still in the bank vaults.

It goes to show you that there are still many treasures to be found at the banks…Don’t give up…old bank notes are out there!

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #359 on: March 23, 2023, 06:22:35 pm »

March 23rd finds:
Main Branch Madness!  Part 1…

I stopped by the main branch again today and boy, did they ever pay out…
I got tons of paper $5s, $$10s, $20s and $50s ranging in condition from virtually disintegrating to AU+.
Among the highlights are:

A near solid 6s birds $20
A 1954 $10 with some amazing date stamps on it from 1975 (more on these in my other thread).
And three EHX replacement birds $50s, two of which were consecutive.

I that wasn’t enough, I stopped by another branch on my way home (the same branch that gave me all of the FFK prefix Rogers Macklem $10s).  The teller initially said that they “had nothing”, but then I used my superpowers and pulled out the envelope full of paper bills from the main branch.  When I told the teller that I got all of these notes from the main branch, his tune suddenly changed and he brought out $26 in paper $1s and $2s.

So there you have it…Most bank tellers will tell collectors that they have nothing…so that we go away.

Be persistent; it will pay off!

Enjoy!
Dean

Login with username, password and session length