Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 65413 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #405 on: July 17, 2023, 08:12:55 pm »

July 17th finds:
Main Branch Madness!

After a couple of weeks off, I went to the main branch of my bank and retrieved these notes.

Aside from a nicer 1979 $20 and journey $20, there’s not much in this find.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #406 on: July 22, 2023, 12:25:29 pm »

July 22nd finds:

I visited one of my regular branches and the teller had some paper notes for me.  Highlights are a nicer 2 letter prefix multicolour $100, a 1954 $5 and a run of 4 consecutive birds $2s.

Oh, and the teller said that she had “tons” of pennies…$54 worth, so naturally, I took them all. :D

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #407 on: August 04, 2023, 05:31:00 pm »

August 4th finds:
Lots of $100s…And some US $2s.

One of my regular banks had some nice multicolour $100s and a few US $2s today.
Interestingly, 7 out of the 8 $100s were the 2 letter prefix and there was one decent birds $20 so I took it as well.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2023, 04:27:02 pm »

August 9th finds:

Main Branch madness!

I decided to go to the main branch today and the friendly teller sorted through piles of mutilated notes for me.

I kept a handful of very nice 1979 $20s, a 1969 $20 and a very nice 1975 $100.

But one note caught my eye…a ratty 1975 $50.  When I picked it up, I couldn’t believe that it was a Lawson/Bouey EHX replacement note!. It’s really too bad that it is in such poor condition, but I’ll keep it anyway!

You just never know what you will find…Just when I thought I was done, the teller offered me two rolls of Aboriginal themed toonies!

I swear that somebody out there is printing 1979 $20s and 1975 $100s in their basement.  I have seen so many of them in the mutilated piles at several banks.

The 1975 $100 could be a birthday note for somebody born on March 24th 1952.

Finding vintage notes like these in AU/UNC condition at the bank means that somebody is cashing in an estate or they had notes stashed away…for a very long time!

Enjoy!

Dean

« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 04:37:22 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #409 on: August 11, 2023, 11:55:33 am »

August 11th finds:

I was out running some errands and I popped into a bank that I don’t normally go to.  To my surprise, the nice teller sold me 11 rolls of pennies.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #410 on: August 12, 2023, 10:53:08 pm »

August 11th finds, part 2.
A country drive pays off!

After finding notes in the city on the morning of August 11th, I headed out for a drive.
I stopped at a bank in a small town east of Toronto and they had no notes, but the friendly teller was nice enough to give me $226 worth of old nickel dollars and 50 cent pieces and $9 in penny rolls!

The baggies of coins have scraps of paper with the number of “silver” dollars in them… :D

The person who deposited the pennies must have printed their own penny wrappers…I have never seen this pattern before.
Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2023, 05:05:56 pm »

August 14th find:

I went to my local bank and the friendly teller showed me some paper notes.  I noticed that this birds $100 had handwriting on the back.  It looks like a list of some sort…

I’m having trouble making out the message, but it looks like someone may have been tracking their expenses.

There’s a word, then “600” and then “Ph -300” under it.

I am guessing that it means “Phone -$300”.

Can anybody help with the rest of the writing?

Thanks,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #412 on: August 16, 2023, 12:26:15 pm »

August 16th finds:

I went to a bank that I hadn’t visited in awhile and the nice tellers let me look through the mutilated pile.

I pulled out two $20s and a multicolour $10!  The $20s have writing on them; I’ll go into further detail in my other thread, "Banknotes with a story”.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 08:55:24 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #413 on: August 16, 2023, 05:48:33 pm »

August 16th finds, part 2!

As soon as I got home from the first bank, I received an email from another bank saying that they had “lots of old $100s and if I wanted them I would have to pick them up today or the notes would be shipped out.

When I get to the branch, I was pleasantly surprised to receive nine 1954 $100s.  Some are not in great shape, but it’s still nice to get them.

To top it off, the teller had four US $2s for me as well!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #414 on: August 17, 2023, 05:58:45 pm »

August 17th finds:

You just never know what’s out there…

Today, I stopped by a bank that I have not visited in awhile.  In fact, I don’t even have an account with them but I went in “cold” and simply asked for old bank notes and/or coins.  To my delight, the friendly tellers didn’t bat an eye when they said “we have lots of old bills…how much do you want?”

I searched through the entire mutilated pile and pulled out what I could reasonably save, including all of the $1s and $2s…and there were lots of those!

I also managed to save some beautiful crispy journey $10s, a $5 and a $100 with the EJZ prefix!
There were also LOTS of bird series $100s and one really nice 1975 $100 so I saved the best of them.
To top it off, the teller had 40 rolls of pennies too!

After I chose the notes I wanted, the teller waited while I ran across the street to withdraw cash from my own bank!

Highlights of the lot include:

EJZ $100 journey…UNC
A $2 birds ARX replacement note (Thiessen/Crow)
A $2 birds AUK note signed by Thiessen and Crow
And two 1954 $2s.

Another interesting thing is that I found 2 journey $10s in the pile with the BFF prefix as well as two $1 notes, also with the BFF prefix.  I’ve been keeping all notes with the BFF prefix that I can find in hopes of one day finding a matching serial number pair.  Talk about a needle in a haystack, but you never know…

There are hidden treasures all over the place!
I thanked the friendly tellers at the end of this massive transaction and they said “ no problem…we are glad to get rid of this stuff so we don’t have to deal with it!”

I took a separate picture for Claude showing all of the B-series $2s in this lot.

If anybody wants any birds $100s, I have lots of them!  😀

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 06:01:21 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #415 on: August 18, 2023, 06:23:22 pm »

August 18th finds:

Out and about today, I managed to get these three $100 notes.

It’s cool to find 2 letter prefix multicolour notes in the mutilated note piles…They are real survivors!

I also managed to get a roll of new coloured 2023 Elsie Macgill loonies..

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #416 on: August 19, 2023, 04:41:41 pm »

August 19th finds:

3 banks, 3 scores.

I got a call from one of my banks today and the teller said that she had “lots of US $2s”.  So naturally, I went out and picked them up.  This lot of 22 $2 notes is mostly from 1976 with a few later dates sprinkled in.  Overall, nothing special and no star notes.

On the way back from picking up the $2s, I decided to do a “cold call” at a branch that I have never visited before.  I explained what I was doing to the teller and she said “we have bills, but not many old ones”.  I said that I would look at everything and the teller seemed hesitant to open up the mutilated pile.

She offered me the chance to claim some paper notes but she insisted that I give her a dollar figure…so I said $100 please.

She then proceeded to pull out $100 worth of $5s and $10s and told me that she “cannot give out the $20s, $50s or $100s.”

I figured that my request was odd for this teller and so I did not object and took what was offered to me.  One note stood out…a GOG prefix birds $5.

Finally, the third bank I visited this afternoon was very accommodating; the teller let me look through the mutilated notes and I took a few.  She also sold me $6.85 worth of pennies!  $6.85/hour was Ontario’s adult minimum wage when I was a teenager.  (The student minimum wage at that time was $6.40/hour!)

I’ll probably end up returning most of the Canadian notes but it was worth trying some untested branches to see what they would give me.

Probably the most exciting souvenir from this day of bank hunting was this TTC bus transfer I obtained this morning…with the serial number 1!  Two of the banks I visited today were in downtown Toronto and taking transit was cheaper than paying for parking.   :D

I wonder if the transfer will be worth a premium in the future?

Enjoy!

Dean

« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 07:15:41 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #417 on: August 19, 2023, 04:45:43 pm »

August 19th finds:

More pictures…

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #418 on: August 21, 2023, 08:36:00 pm »

August 21st finds:
Mail call from New Brunswick!

I bought a lot of notes from my contact in New Brunswick who hunts the banks for me.

There are lots of $1s…most from 1973, but a few 1967s and 1954s.
An EFA prefix 1975 $50
A couple of 1975 $100s
And a few other notes…including a 1974 RS test note!

Other cool notes include:
A 1954 $1 with prefix H/F
Two birds $50s…FHG with the small F and FHM Bonin-Thiessen in what appears to be UNC and a very nice birds $20 ESJ prefix note.

There is also a worn 1973 $1 with serial numbers that are a bit out of register, but would anyone donsider this an error?

Lots of amazing bank notes and coins are sitting there, waiting to be uncovered!

Enjoy!
Dean

Highlights include

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 09:00:26 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #419 on: August 21, 2023, 08:38:10 pm »

August 21st:

A closeup of the birds $2s for Claude.  🙂

Login with username, password and session length