Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 65501 times)
Breanna72
« Reply #420 on: August 22, 2023, 10:33:51 am »

Landlord?
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #421 on: August 22, 2023, 02:30:31 pm »

August 22nd finds:  Main Branch Madness!

I visited the main branch of my bank today and the nice teller was able to give me a few paper notes.

Nothing huge in this lot, but I did find a nice journey $5 AAD series changeover note, an AAT changeover note, a couple of defaced $50 notes and a roll each of new 2023 loonies and toonies as well as a few 50c pieces and nickel dollars!

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 02:32:06 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #422 on: August 22, 2023, 06:36:54 pm »

August 22nd finds…Part 2!

I went grocery shopping and next door, there was a branch of my bank.  I stopped in to get some cash and asked the teller if she had any old coins or paper money.  The teller surprised me with four 50c pieces and ten pennies.  😀

I withdrew some spending cash and looking at the notes, I saw that there was a slight offset transfer of the signature on the back of one note in prefix INN.

Luckily, in the cash I took out, there was another note with the INN prefix so I compared them.

The note with the offset is INN 0953567.

Is it worth keeping?

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #423 on: August 23, 2023, 04:56:07 pm »

August 23rd finds:

Slim pickings…

I spent the afternoon scouring more bank branches in downtown Toronto.  Unfortunately, after visiting 8 different branches, all I have to show for my efforts are seven rolls of pennies, a roll of Elsie Macgill loonies, two US $2 notes and one journey $100–a short run BKM prefix note.

The bright side to this is that the tellers in the branches that I have visited before remembered who I was and I left my contact info at the other branches I visited for the first time.

Enjoy!

Dean

« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 10:38:28 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #424 on: August 28, 2023, 07:28:24 pm »

August 28th finds:
Bank hunting marathon…

I went to 8 branches today and I managed to score a handful of bank notes plus $105 worth of 2023 loonies.

One bank actually allowed me into the counting room to go through the mutilated notes while the teller stood watch.  I was incredibly fortunate to have earned the trust of the employees of this branch!

Highlights of this day include:

A journey $10, BFH prefix, printed in 2009. And…

A $100 EJE prefix sheet replacement note!

I am eternally grateful to all of the wonderful tellers and bank employees who allow me to indulge in this hobby.

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #425 on: August 29, 2023, 05:42:28 pm »

August 29th finds:
Guelph edition!

I took the opportunity to visit a few branches on my road trip today.

One bank gave me 8 rolls of pennies and the other bank was nice enough to provide $28 in nickel dollars and 50c pieces plus $480 in crispy beautiful birds $20s plus a 1954 $100 note!

There were actually $500 in $20 notes, but I rejected one because it had a stain on it.

When I got home, I took a closer look at the coins.  Unfortunately, one of them was a medallion for the sesquicentennial of the Corporation of Elora, Wellington county, 1832-1982.

The teller who gave me the notes and nickel coins told me that they “belonged to a 92 year old woman and when she died, her family cleaned out her apartment.”

Let this serve as a message to all of us in this community:  Please ensure that you have your collection organized and that you provide specific instructions in your will for your beneficiaries so that they don’t just cash everything in at the bank!

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #426 on: August 30, 2023, 04:12:10 pm »

August 30th finds:

Main branch madness…and more!

I was out and about today and stopped by the main branch of my bank.  They didn’t have any paper notes to show me, but the nice teller offered me two rolls of Aboriginal toonies.

When I got home, I had two messages from two other banks saying that they had stuff for me to look at.  So off I went…

The second bank of the day offered up 60 penny rolls, $10 worth of 50c pieces, three $2 notes and two 1969 $20s.  One of the $20s looks to be a bit out of register…It’s in pretty good shape too!

The third bank of the day told me that they had some “really old $1s, $2s and $20s.”

Off I went and to my surprise, the teller gave me a 1937 $20 note, some 2 letter prefix 1973 $1s, some 1967 $1s with serial numbers, a pair of 1954 $20s and last but not least, a 1974 $2 with two letters.

For kicks, I asked if they had any pennies and the teller gave me 29 rolls!

In all three cases, the tellers said that they were happy to “get rid of the pennies” as it is a lot of paperwork to ship them out.  😀

There are two penny rolls encased in those old “penny pinchers” that the banks used to give out in the 1970s.  Does anybody use these anymore?

All in all, it was a productive day of hunting.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 04:23:56 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #427 on: August 31, 2023, 06:09:26 pm »

August 31st finds:

Another day, more notes (and coins).

I took my car to get an oil change today and while I was waiting, I visited 3 banks in the vicinity of the shop.

Boy, they didn't disappoint!

I got a bunch of US $2s from one bank.

The second bank gave me some birds notes, some 1954 notes and some multicolour notes.  The highlight for me is the really nice 1954 $100!  The 1954 $20 is also a short run G/W prefix note!

The third bank gave me $40 in big nickel dollars, $69.50 in 50c pieces and some 2 letter prefix 1975 $50s.
The $50s aren't that special (other than being really old) but there is one note with a lot of figures written on it by a teller...More on this note in my other thread.

In all three cases today, the tellers were happy to "get rid of the mutilated bills" and the one bank teller also said that she was glad to "get rid of the old coins" because "she had no idea what to do with them or how to get rid of them."

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 07:34:25 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #428 on: August 31, 2023, 06:10:16 pm »

August 31st finds...Continued.

More pics of today's finds.
I even found a 1973 $1 with the BFF prefix…I am saving all of the $1s I find with this prefix.
Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 07:35:32 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #429 on: September 01, 2023, 06:11:19 pm »

September 1st:

Out and about today, I visited two banks.

The first bank gave me $7.50 in pennies and the second bank gave me a 1971 $10 and a 1979 $20.

Not a bad start to the month!

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #430 on: September 12, 2023, 06:37:38 pm »

September 12th finds:

I got an email from one of my regular banks advising me that they had a few paper notes.  I went over and grabbed them as soon as I was finished work.

Nothing amazing in this lot, but I did keep a “high and low” pair of BJD prefix birds $100s…Claude, these two notes both have “small B’s”.

Rounding things out were some journey $10s, $20s $50s and a birds $20 plus some penny rolls.  There was one ARW prefix journey changeover note.

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #431 on: September 14, 2023, 05:55:31 pm »

September 14th finds:

Two banks, two scores!

I visited two different banks on my way home today.

The first bank gave me a 1975 $100 with writing on it, a journey $10 and a birds $20 EVC prefix with no BPN.

The second bank gave me a couple of beaten up 1973 $1s, a birds $2, a 1974 $2, a nicer birds $10 and a 1954 $50!  The teller at the second bank also showed me a birds $1000 but unfortunately, it had tears in the edge and a big hole in the middle of it so I turned it down.

It’s worth noting that even though I didn’t take the $1000 note, it has been a very long time since I have seen one in a bank’s mutilated note pile.

Enjoy!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #432 on: September 22, 2023, 07:50:28 pm »

September 22nd finds:

I finally got something from one of my banks today after a few days of no finds.

The best part of this lot are two birds $100s, BJI prefix and a beat up BRX $2 replacement note.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #433 on: September 23, 2023, 06:24:59 pm »

September 23rd finds:

One man’s junk is another man’s treasure!  Great finds at the Guelph Coin Show.

I attended the Guelph Coin Show and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to add a significant number of defaced notes to my collection at very reasonable prices.

I was able to pick through piles of heavily circulated notes and I came away with lots of treasures, including three BFF series $1s, teller stamped notes, notes with hand writing, and even a ratty beaten up BRX birds $2 replacement note.

I will elaborate on the uniqueness of these bills in my other thread, “Banknotes with a story”. 

For Claude, there are two BG- series birds $2s…both “small Bs”

Grab some popcorn!

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #434 on: September 26, 2023, 07:04:38 pm »

September 26th finds:

One of my banks called me today and the teller said that she had some paper notes and some US $2s.

I managed to get there just before closing and came away with a few notes.

Nothing too spectacular today, but the $100 notes have some interesting markings that I will include in my other thread.

The US $2s are series 2017A; two from New York and one from Kansas City.

Enjoy!
Dean

Login with username, password and session length