Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59438 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2022, 07:36:12 pm »

Feb 8th…
I found it interesting that one of the 1974 $2 notes was cut out of register.  I enjoy finding notes like this!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2022, 07:47:56 pm »

Feb 9th find:

I stopped by one of my banks today.  They didn’t have much, only a few tattered polymer notes and two paper journey $50s.  I ended up taking the better of the two notes and it happens to be a short run AHR prefix note.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #182 on: February 15, 2022, 09:09:28 pm »

Feb 15th find:
Not what you might expect…
My banks have been running dry with respect to paper money finds but on a routine withdrawal from a bank machine, I managed to score this well circulated polymer $20 note with a misaligned digit.
Not too exciting for most collectors, but someone out there might enjoy seeing it.

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2022, 05:38:50 pm »

Feb 17th finds:

I have hit a bit of a dry spell with my note hunts.  A few of my reliable tellers have received promotions or have moved branches.

So I have had to begin scouting out new bank branches.  9 times out of 10, I get nothing but I stopped by a new branch today, fully expecting nothing.  I made a regular cash withdrawal and asked for old notes or coins.  The teller advised me that they ship out mutilated notes on Thursdays so I figured I just missed another motherlode.

It was then that I noticed the business teller line had nobody waiting so I asked this person if he had any old notes.  He went into the vault and came back with two 1975 $100 notes.  They are heavily circulated, but I bought them anyway because this person was a new contact and I didn’t want him to think that I was wasting his time.

The best part is that he gave me his business card and promised to email me if any more stuff comes in.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2022, 08:35:50 pm »

February 26th finds:

My search for new bank contacts continues…

I managed to make another contact today at an RBC branch.

This teller was nice enough to retrieve some mutilated notes from the vault.  He was genuinely surprised that anybody scrounges for notes and coins from the bank.  He asked me how I do it and I told him that I have been collecting since I was a little kid and that my first finds as an 8 year old beginning collector came from a friendly bank teller.

In addition to these two 1975 $100s, were a handful of bird $50s and a few birds $100s, all in very poor condition.

I bought these two $100s so I could establish a relationship.  They have no premium over face value, but I got the teller’s contact information and he said that he would contact me if any old notes or coins came in.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2022, 03:24:18 pm »

March 12 finds:
I tried going to a couple of new bank branches today. 
Both banks paid out!

Bank #1 gave me two rolls of pennies…not much of a score, but this was a Scotiabank branch and I have never received anything from Scotiabank, ever.

Bank #2:  RBC…The teller let me look through two envelopes of mutilated notes.  There were lots of journey $5s, $10s and $20s, but they were really dirty ragged and truly unfit for circulation.  I picked the two best $5s; a journey and a birds note.

I saw the high number on the journey $5 and took it on the hope that it might be a replacement note but it is not.

Oh well, it’s all part of the fun!

Update March 14th 2022:  The two rolls of pennies I picked up are both entire rolls of 1967 centennial cents!

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 12:02:59 am by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #186 on: March 14, 2022, 11:22:48 pm »

March 14th finds:
Diamonds in the rough?

I managed to score a big pile of notes today.  Unfortunately, most of them are low grade “spenders” but there are some diamonds in the rough.  Can you spot them? :)

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 11:26:31 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #187 on: March 14, 2022, 11:25:47 pm »

March 14th finds continued…More diamonds to be found?

whitenite
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2022, 08:32:23 pm »

Just like Dean, I have been asking my local branches for paper banknotes and I got a call on March 4 from the RBC branch in Almonte, Ontario that the following notes were deposited.  I was amazed to get 7 UNC 1867 - 1967 $1 banknotes as well as Bird $5 with a HNA prefix and an UNC Journey $5 with a heavy 8 imprint.  I also took a the rest of their Journey Notes as you never know that you might come across a replacement note.  Enjoy the pictures and if you are interested in any notes, please PM me. 

« Last Edit: March 15, 2022, 08:36:01 pm by whitenite »

whitenite
« Reply #189 on: March 15, 2022, 08:47:21 pm »

I got another call on March 12th from the Royal Bank branch in Carleton Place, Ontario where I picked up a number of Bird banknotes and a Journey banknote.  Apparently, the teller told me that an older gentleman brought these notes and he has been keeping since the 1990's.  Many of the notes are of prefixes which started the Bird $50 and $100 especially a number of AJN notes.  There was one UNC $50 note with the prefix EHT.  The Journey note is interesting but it is not a replacement note but pretty close to the top of the range.  Anyways, if anyone is interested in these notes please PM me.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2022, 11:25:38 am »

March 16th finds:
Time to party like it's 1937!

I received a call from one of my branches today.  The teller said "you should come to the branch; somebody just deposited a bunch of really old bills". 

This is what I got:

a bunch of 1937 $10s, $20s and a $1, plus some 1954 modified $1s and $2s dating from the early 1970s.

Interestingly, there is writing on the back of some of the 1954 notes and a "paid" stamp on one of the 1937 $10s.

I will comment on these notes in my other thread "Banknotes with a story..."

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 11:27:59 am by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2022, 03:00:25 pm »

March 18th finds:

A slow day at the bank today…A friendly teller gave me one lonely journey $5, but you should never turn down notes from a new contact.

The numbers are a bit smudged, but not enough to matter.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #192 on: March 24, 2022, 09:32:20 pm »

March 24th finds:
As one door closes, another one opens.

Today, I returned to a branch that has given me a lot of great banknotes.  The teller who used to give me the old notes has since been promoted and I was forced to start from scratch.  Fortunately, the remaining tellers remembered who I was and they allowed me to buy some mutilated notes with the promise of ontacting me when they get more.

My haul today includes some journey $10s, with and without the security strip, a birds $50 and seven 2002 dated 50 cent pieces.

The highlight of this lot is a “broken ladder” serial number FEB 7658432

Enjoy,

Dean

whitenite
« Reply #193 on: March 25, 2022, 05:43:03 pm »

Here are my finds from March 19 where the Journey $50 note is in AU shape and the rest of have seen some circulation.  Enjoy the pictures.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #194 on: March 29, 2022, 09:14:07 pm »

March 29th finds:
You can't save them all...

I went to a branch that I hadn't visited in a couple of months.  The friendly teller let me look through the mutilated notes and this time, there wasn't much to look at.  There were a lot of really bad polymer notes, many journey $20s in bad condition, a few journey $50s, $5s and $10s and even five $1000 notes.

Of the $1000 notes, there was one 1954 Modified Lawson Bouey signed note in really bad shape and torn and four Birds $1000s, again in VG/F at best.
As much as it pained me to turn away these $1000 notes, I couldn't justify taking them.

I did manage to salvage one journey $50 in decent shape because it has a cool serial number, almost a radar AHM0888887 (with a small tear) and one American $2!

Oh well, I guess something is better than nothing, right?

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 09:19:35 pm by Dean »

Login with username, password and session length