Author
Topic: Banknotes with a story...post yours here too!  (Read 18316 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2022, 02:26:08 pm »

I recently picked up this 1974 $2 from a bank.  It seems to have Inuit writing on the back, with the name Peter Paniloo written in English on the top border.

A simple Google search reveals that Peter Paniloo was the son of Joseph Idlout, one of the Inuit hunters portrayed on the back of the note! (Second from right).

I wonder who owned this note...Was Peter Paniloo the one who wrote his own name on the note or maybe one of his friends, relatives or acquaintances wrote on it?

https://www.bankofcanadamuseum.ca/2020/10/the-story-behind-the-engraving/

Just Bank Notes
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2022, 04:14:34 pm »

Your autographed $2 note is an interesting find.

About 20 years ago I bought a similar note signed by Peter Paniloo in Inukitut, the Inuit language.  It is in a plastic sleeve along with a story about the hunt that day in 1951 when the photo was taken.  Peter was 14 years old.  Everything is presented in a seal skin folder that looks similar to an old chequebook.

There were 1,000 of these sets made and mine is serial number 99.  Many more autographed notes by Peter Paniloo are out there!

Gordon Yorke engraved this vignette and I have his signature on another $2 note along with the die proof vignette that he did from the photograph.

JBN
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2022, 08:50:02 pm »

Hi, I purchased this shinplaster, along with three others.
It is cut out of register, but more interesting is that somebody (possibly two people) have written on the back.

On the bottom left, I can barely make out the following text:

C E Stills
Strathclair Man Can

Strathclair is a hamlet in Manitoba…

Along the top margin, there is a faded pencil inscription.  I can’t read it fully because the note is very worn and the writing is faded.

H E…(unintelligible script)  1921.

Can anybody assist me to read this?

I love the little bits of history preserved on these notes.  Too often, notes that have been written on are frowned upon, but I consider them to be historic documents.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2023, 05:26:58 pm »

I got this note from a friend in New Brunswick.  Somebody out there may know more about this stamp.

Dean

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2023, 10:20:50 am »

Wow that's an interesting story, thanks for sharing
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2023, 03:38:49 pm »

Here’s a note that I acquired for my collection.

This 1954 $20 is not much to look at, and most people would have rejected it.  But I like the fact that it has a full date stamp on it:  Aug 28 1967.

I wonder what was going on at the bank on the day this note changed hands?

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2023, 05:59:15 pm »

Jan 30th 2023:
I purchased this shinplaster for my collection.  It arrived in the mail today!

It has “Saskatoon Apr 8 1917” written on the back.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2023, 11:56:08 am »

March 3rd find:

I received this $1 note with the following message written on it. 

“J HUHIC 26-Jul-80”

Finding notes with dates, names and places written or stamped on them is really neat.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2023, 11:51:41 am »

Update re: March 3rd finds:

I took a look at the notes I brought home from the bank on Friday and I discovered that a second note had writing on the back of it.  The note is in poor condition and was destined for the shredder.

The text reads: “TAKE GOOD CARE OF ME!”

It’s almost as if the note was asking to be saved.

I’ll take good care of it in my collection.  😀

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2023, 08:07:25 pm »

March 6th 2023:

This 1979 $5 that came in my finds today has what looks to be “DP186” written on the right front margin of the note.  The “1” (if it is in fact the number 1) looks very European…I recall people writing the number 1 in this fashion when I visited France.

Perhaps “DP186” is somebody’s shorthand for “deposit $186”?

Enjoy,
Dean

whitenite
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2023, 09:40:34 pm »

Going to my friendly RBC branch on Satruday March 4th and asking for paper banknotes and I got a bunch of them but this one is "truly Canadian" as it reminds me of rural living in Ontario.  This banknote had a typically "Canadian Grocery List" and if you are a "Baby Boomer", you can certainly relate to this one.  This one could have been written by Bob and Doug MacKenzie who are, your typical "Hosers" from Rural Ontario.  Enjoy this one as if you are from my generation, you can certainly relate to it.

whitenite
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2023, 10:06:48 pm »

Further to my post about a Canadian Hoser banknote with a typical grocery note from rural Canada, I also got an International bank stamp on a Journey $100 from the same bunch.  It appears that this Brown One spent some time in Italy, at least it enjoyed weather without any snow!  If anyone know this bank stamp please let us know!  Enjoy the picture!!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2023, 01:39:46 pm »

March 15th:
In my finds today, there were two notes that had teller scribbles on them.
The $5 has a number 49 on it and the $10 looks like it has “mas” or something like that written on it.
Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2023, 05:58:47 pm »

March 17th:

A “found” note and another with a message…

Imagine if you found $1 back in 1952…What would you spend it on?

Part 2:  What does the message say on this polymer $5?

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2023, 07:10:04 pm »

March 23rd find:

A 1954 $10 with a whole bunch of teller stamps!

If anybody can decipher these stamps, I’d appreciate some help.
I got this note today from the main branch of my bank.

The note has been “cancelled” and it looks like it was run through a cheque cancelling machine, judging by the black printed digits on the face of the note.  This note has many legible dates on it.  It is truly the most interesting stamped note I have in my collection to date.  It is a true time capsule and it will be a treasured addition to my collection.

Jan 10 1975 and Jan 13 1975 are stamped in red ink on the back of the note.  The other stamps are unclear…I think the green stamp says “Miami”?

Could this note have passed through the USA and then come home to Canada?

Enjoy!
Dean

Login with username, password and session length