Author
Topic: Unknown position pair?  (Read 2772 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: April 28, 2021, 11:44:04 pm »

I came upon a number of uncirculated 2002 pre security strip Journey $5 notes.
When I was trying to enter this particular note into the SNDB, an error message popped up, saying that 67/60 is not a valid combination.

I looked at the note with a loupe and it sure does look like the numbers are 67/60...

The serial number of the note in question is AOC 6319517.

Please see the photos...

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 01:47:37 pm »

Some of those pre-security notes did not have their position pairs included in the algorithms of the SNDB because when the SNDB was created those position pairs were not well documented (and I believe still are not to this day).  It's not quite as simple as just knowing what the position pairs are - part of it includes what range of notes those position pairs will be found on.  That said, I no longer maintain the SNDB and have no control over it.  Pre-security notes are encountered infrequently enough that not being able to add some of them to the SNDB doesn't make much difference.  My suggestion would be to just disregard it and carry on with your day.  Cheers!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 02:14:08 pm »

Some of those pre-security notes did not have their position pairs included in the algorithms of the SNDB because when the SNDB was created those position pairs were not well documented (and I believe still are not to this day).  It's not quite as simple as just knowing what the position pairs are - part of it includes what range of notes those position pairs will be found on.  That said, I no longer maintain the SNDB and have no control over it.  Pre-security notes are encountered infrequently enough that not being able to add some of them to the SNDB doesn't make much difference.  My suggestion would be to just disregard it and carry on with your day.  Cheers!

Thanks for the insight, Brent.

Login with username, password and session length