Author
Topic: Check out all of those old bank notes!  (Read 6655 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: May 06, 2021, 03:38:09 pm »

Hi,
The Bank of Canada museum posted this picture on social media...

Check out those bundles of 1937 notes!  They would make any collector drool...

Dean

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2021, 08:06:28 pm »

The Bank of Canada museum posted this picture on social media...

Nice pic. Wouldn't it be cool if one could travel back in time & search & pluck a few low #, radars, the $10 Gordon-Towers Z/D short change-over, Osborne signatures or the H/A J/A $1.00 Narrow Panel notes from some of those bricks?

Just curious: have you ever been to the BOC museum?

I went once before the renovations.  My wife had to pull me out of there. They had so many gorgeous rare banknotes on display.  They have since renovated & I believe re-opened before the pandemic.  I believe a few CPMF members visited... so if they care to chip in...

whitenite
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 11:03:05 pm »

Being in the Ottawa area, this Museum is the Holy Grail!  The banknotes on display are wonderful!!!
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2021, 04:36:03 pm »

this Museum is the Holy Grail!
... I  like the way you put that.... :D

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2021, 07:06:19 pm »

Here is an alternate view of the ladies working in the same counting room in the first picture.  Courtesy of the Bank of Canada Museum.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2021, 09:05:01 am »

Another great photo Dean! Thanks for sharing.

I'm just imagining all those Osborne-Towers signatures, "Z/D" Gordon $10 & special serial numbers that could have been pulled from those bricks.

I bet they were NOT allowed to inspect them however.  The managers would have been pretty "anal" (about breaking protocol) at least by today's standards. If it was the duty of the employees to count the bundles then they would not have been allowed to inspect each note. It would not have been acceptable to exchange a collectible with a note that the employee owned. I would imagine that supervision was tight (constant) & "snitches" would have been highly rewarded (motivated to tell their bosses if someone was doing something untoward).
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:12:23 am by walktothewater »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2024, 06:51:52 pm »

March 10th 2024:

I saw this picture of Terry Fox in 1981 posted on social media.

Just look at those stacks of multicolour bank notes...The collector in me just can't help but wonder what prefixes might be in them!   :D

Enjoy!
Dean

Breanna72
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2024, 10:58:26 am »

The cheques in the photo seem to be dated July 11 and 12, 1980 when Terry Fox arrived in Toronto on his cross country run, so those notes would all be 1973 or earlier.  And, that explains the Canada Trust and Toronto Dominion Bank cheques as those banks merged in 2000 to become TD Canada Trust. I don't remember a branch of the Province of Ontario Bank, but that's likely just me. Neat pic.

Login with username, password and session length