Author
Topic: 1973 $1 - Are the serial numbers misaligned?  (Read 2195 times)
Pepi09
« on: February 01, 2022, 11:18:34 pm »

Hi:  I looked to see if this subject had come up before but couldn't find anything.  Refer to the picture of the 1973 $1 note.  The number 9 and first number 8 in the RED serial number appear to be misaligned as compared to the BLUE serial number. Is this common and is there any value or collector demand for this type of note?  Thx

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 12:51:30 am »

This is a very minor variation and well within normal tolerances.  In my opinion, it bears no additional value.  Others' opinions may vary.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 08:13:10 am »

"The number 9 and first number 8 in the RED serial number appear to be misaligned as compared to the BLUE serial number. Is this common and is there any value or collector demand for this type of note?  Thx"

- The variations are well within QC tolerances. It is quite common to see notes with SN's like this. No premium above what you'd expect to see.  In fact, some collectors might see this as a slight flaw (like off-centred registration) & avoid purchasing.

EDIT: I missed reading 'BWJM's replay (Oops- yes I completely agree).

Pepi09
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2022, 09:59:24 am »

BWJM/walktothewater:  Thank-you very much for educating me on this.  I appreciate it.  When you say it is within the tolerances, may I ask where you go to reference this type of information?
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2022, 12:02:49 pm »

"When you say it is within the tolerances, may I ask where you go to reference this type of information?"

I am not referencing any material written about the Canadian Bank Note Co, (nor the BABN Co) production methods. I'm simply stating a fact from what I've observed over the past 45 years of collecting BoC banknotes & from that series in particular. The SN's were applied by rolling counters & they did not always align perfectly. Anybody who's collected these (& World currency) & have stuck with it for a few years (to see enough notes) will tell you the same.

There is a disturbing trend in some social media communities where posters are bent on blowing up (& exaggerating) the most mundane variations seen on currency. Sometimes these anonymous posters will make false claims that serial numbers are wildly "off" or that these normal variations are 'errors,' & worth "a premium." Such hyperbolic claims are simply untrue.   They make about as much sense as comments like "Get that graded!"

Pepi09
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2022, 01:51:58 pm »

Thanks again for the information.  I may not be a Senior member but I think I am in and about the same vintage as you and this is the first time I've actually noticed the serial number like that.  So apparently I haven't been looking at them close enough.  I appreciate your knowledge and time in sharing your expertise with me regarding my question.   
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2022, 02:55:32 pm »

TRUE STORY:

As a kid I used to look for notes like the one you posted. Any note that was a bit out of register, or had some wonky serial # variation, I'd set aside or buy at the bourses years ago when only a few coin dealers carried banknotes. After a while, I noticed that they were easy to acquire (my stack was large enough) so I realized I was 'barking up the wrong tree' as far as collecting goes. I think a few dealers used to laugh at me when I put these aside. One asked me what I was up to. I told him that I thought these wonky notes were "cool" showing off the printers production problems. He then lectured me on how tough it was to produce a perfect banknote! Just go take a look at the old shinplasters that were hand cut and try to find one perfectly centred. The older the note the more likely you'll find minor variations. Any flaw should be super dramatic (or its not a bona fide error). It was true what he said (& a testimony to how advanced printing technology has become). I'm just happy that I started entering notes for the SNDB as once you've seen a lot you will see some of these minor design variations (though they're getting less & less) LOL :D

Pepi09
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2022, 04:30:02 pm »

I didn't look for the notes like you did (or maybe I did and I can't remember).  I just know that this isn't something I was looking for.  At the time I think I was happy to get nice new crisp bills.  Thanks again for sharing your experience.

Login with username, password and session length