Author
Topic: GEM UNC 67?  (Read 3342 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« on: November 20, 2021, 11:22:27 am »

Hi,

I am currently trying to ascertain the validity of a TPG slabbed note graded GEM UNC 67.  The Charlton Catalogue has a top grade of Choice UNC (65)

Why doesn't Charlton go up to UNC 67?
Is UNC 76 an American classification?

Thanks,
Dean

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 01:39:12 pm »

Mostly all TGP companies use a standard that ranges from 1-70. Keep in mind that a 70 is only theoretical as even the most pristine notes from the mint are subject to minor handling evidence when packaged and shipped.

The Charlton catalogue does not price every single number on this range but classifies it by grades. As there are price gaps between each grade, a collector can anticipate the value of his banknotes grading VF35 would achieve a closer closer to EF than VF. The same can be said with UNC notes, while there are no grades above GEM UNC, there are banknotes which will grade above 65 and by looking at past sales it is evident that a 66 or 67 will command much higher prices than a 65.

There is a pride of ownership in knowing you have the best grade recorded however I would caution that an American TGP company certifying a Canadian banknote 66 or 67 could be slightly deceiving as their standards are slightly more relaxed than a Canadian TGP such as BCS. While PMG and others are quick to award grades such as 66 or sometimes 67, finding a BCS 66 or 67 would be a nice treasure.

KC's Canadian Currency
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 11:51:29 pm »

The only BCS67 I’ve seen

CPMS Member 1564
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 07:58:33 am »

Yes they are very hard to find especially in the older banknotes.

KC's Canadian Currency
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2021, 10:02:57 am »

The note in question is a bc44e Thiessen signed 1954 $1000 note graded by CCCS.
The seller is asking $8,000 for it.

Just Bank Notes
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2021, 12:14:52 pm »

I wonder if we collectors can actually split hairs on high end uncirculated bank notes.  It may be hard for most of us to tell the difference between 65, 66, 67 and eventually 70 – especially as our eyes get older!

All the TPG have a range for each graded number they settle on.  Just look at images of any single TPG’s EF 40 in auctions for example.  In fairness to all this is more evident with mid-grade notes and less so in Unc.

In the case of this topic about a 1954 $1000 bank note - is paying $8,000 for Unc 67 versus the catalogue at $6,500 for Unc 65 really about the note or the holder?  Perhaps the holder’s value is the difference of $1,500.

I admire the notes and not the holder.  I usually cut them out.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2021, 08:00:14 pm »

I am currently trying to ascertain the validity of a TPG slabbed note graded GEM UNC 67.  The Charlton Catalogue has a top grade of Choice UNC (65)

Why doesn't Charlton go up to UNC 67?
Is UNC 76 an American classification?
My CGPM (31st Ed) just has three levels of UNC listed as "UNC  CH UNC & GEM UNC"
My understanding is that "UNC" is a more BCS version of UNC60 & CH UNC would be Unc 63 & 64 & GEM UNC would be Unc 65-70.  I understand that on Charlton's preface on "Grading" which starts on page XXii & gives notes on the high ends of Unc on XXiv "GEM UNCIRCULATED -- GEM UNC - GCU65" I interpret as Super gem (67-70) to Gem (65/66).
On the actual Book Value charts I can see no numbers for each & each collector must take the BV as a guide (not gospel). If you encounter a seller who wishes to swear by the Charlton like its the 12 commandments, then perhaps you should shop elsewhere.

'Dean' if you're a 'grade-rarity' collector than I suppose the note in question would be worth a hefty premium to you. How much a premium should be up to you & the seller.  If you're not a "top-pop" collector or you feel that the seller isn't very open to negotiating a price, than perhaps you should pass. 

Personally, I don't take CCCS as seriously as BCS. I also like going after PMG UNC65 since I find the bidding a lot weaker on these than the 66's or 67's & usually the notes just slightly off centre. To each his own.  I have also found over graded notes by Legacy, PCGS & PMG but tbh I have rarely seen much difference between a Gem & super gem (a 65 & 67). I've got a few super gems and I have to look over it with a microscope to see the difference between it and an UNC 64 EPQ.

Login with username, password and session length