Author
Topic: Fire/Water/Smoke Damage Protected?  (Read 437 times)
Canadian Bill
« on: January 05, 2022, 06:34:40 pm »

Last night there was a fire in my very old 20 unit rental building in a unit two floors directly above mine.  Long story short, no one died, but there was considerable smoke and water damage throughout the building.  I was busy trying to ensure all of my neighbours had vacated the building by the time the fire fighters arrived and they almost did not let me back to my unit to gather anything.  I grabbed my collection and left my cat.  Learn from my experience.  Is your collection protected from fire, smoke or water damage?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/8312/T6Xmqw.jpg

Saving paper notes from the shredder ... one 'bill' at a time!! :)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 08:13:48 pm »

Sad to hear of the fire, but relieved to know that everyone made it out okay.
I have my collection on my home policy as added coverage, but I am thinking of taking out a separate policy because of the high value of my collection.

Things can be replaced; people can't.

Dean

Canadian Bill
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 06:24:04 pm »

Thanks Dean. 

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 03:50:11 pm »

Last night there was a fire in my very old 20 unit rental building

-sorry to learn of your misfortune, "CDNBill." I had a fire in the building I lived in 30 years (or more) ago. (Old house converted to apartments).  Fortunately, I had stashed my collection at my folks place (& forgot about it) so they weren't affected. They gave it to me a few years later after finding it in my old bedroom closet. It wasn't much but it was (at least) a nice starter set, which eventually grew. Now I keep most of my collection in a "fire proof" safe. But I must admit, I forget the limitations of the safe's capacity to protect. Not sure how well it would protect the notes as I recall visiting my apt after the fire & everything smelled of smoke.

Canadian Bill
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 10:24:12 pm »

Second fire in less than a week.  It's ALL gone. Collection gone Cat's dead.  828 Shaw fire in Toronto. One in critical condition. Thanks all.  Will be back but dont know when.

Login with username, password and session length