Author
Topic: Currency in sequence  (Read 2075 times)
Pepi09
« on: February 05, 2022, 04:38:38 pm »

Hi All:   I've seen contrasting views on this forum about whether bills in sequence would command a premium while others say they may be worth less.  Sticking with that thought, I have a run of 1973 $1 bills with a replacement note in the middle of the run.  I have a similar set with $2 bills.  Would these bills command more of a premium as a sequenced set?  Thoughts?  Thanks.   
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 01:22:59 am »

The notes on either side of a special note are called "shoulder notes".  Examples would be BFD1112300 and BFD1112302 on either side of BAX8777881, or perhaps BBK1234566 and BBK1234568 on either side of the ladder note.

In my opinion, the BFD notes in the example above would not really be worth keeping as they have no relation to the BAX note.  Looking at the BAX note, there's nothing to say that it was really those BFD notes versus two other notes from a different prefix.

The run of three BBK notes however would be good to keep together.  Similarly if you had an error note with its two shoulder notes.  Some collectors find value in having these neighbouring notes, while others do not.  To each their own!

Personally, I have a couple situations where I've kept the shoulder notes.  The two that come to mind are actually Canadian Tire Money.  The first is a set of four notes with the middle two being error notes.  The second is a set of three again with the middle note being an error.  In both cases, all notes in the run are sequentially numbered - none are replacements.  I think I have an example in my Canadian collection too but I can't recall what it is.

Generally, runs of sequential notes tend to depress the overall value of the notes.  One possible explanation is that potential buyers see that there is a plentiful supply versus demand thus driving down the price -- basic economics.

Of course all this is just my opinion... Others may have contrary opinions and that's perfectly fine.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2022, 10:49:38 am »

I agree with @BWJM. It depends but typically its not worth a premium & usually the seller will get less on a sequential run sale (rather than more). This is especially true for modern series & regular raw notes. 

I like the idea of a sequence with an error & have an example of Birds $5 with serial numbers that go off to one side (& the shoulder notes are fine). I felt like the 2 shoulder notes were like a free bonus as the set was inexpensive. I feel sequential errors are nice to have (but not a must have) so they come cheap.

A sequence of notes has merit if the serial numbers are special serial numbers too:
0001000 & 0000999
and
0999999, 1000000 & 1000001 (& the other million # notes along with 2 digit shoulders & radars). I have only seen a few sets like these & they're pretty eye candy. The special 2 digit 1000 note has a slight premium but a set like this could sell at a premium (to a motivated collector). 

Sequential radars are kind of cool like: 2120212, 2121212 & 2122212 but they're jumping by 1000 & can be hard to get. That's probably why I like them & they typically sell at a premium (not a discount).

Sequential 1935, 1937 & Devil Faces still seem to be popular as well. Also asterisk replacements but I have always felt this just shows us collectors that the replacement was very common (like the 1954 *B/M for the $1.00). I got a discount for my sequential replacements. I've never bought sequential older series & its tough to say whether they go for a premium or at BV. i think it depends more on how frothy (hot) the market it.

World currency collectors seem to go for just two sequential notes, preferably GEMS by a TPG like PMG. I have almost never seen 3 sequential notes like we used to see for Journey radars (with their 2 'shoulder' notes) in Canada. These usually sell for slightly less than if they were sold individually (but then again, I've mostly seen pretty common notes sold as a pair).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 10:56:23 am by walktothewater »

Pepi09
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 05:57:59 pm »

BWJM/walktothewater:  Thank-you for the feedback.  If I get a chance, I will take some pictures of the notes and post them.

Login with username, password and session length