Author
Topic: eBay Canada Buyer Sales Tax Changes  (Read 6630 times)
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« on: June 06, 2022, 03:33:54 pm »

Received this email from eBay today and it could be a game changer for those that buy banknotes on eBay. Applicable sales tax will be charged and collected by eBay on every item sold on eBay Canada to Canadian Buyers.

Dear eBay Canada Buyer,

Due to legislative changes in Canada’s tax laws, eBay will be required to charge and collect Canadian GST/HST, QST, and PST on applicable sales to Canada-based buyers, effective July 1, 2022. Please note that these changes will affect most e-commerce companies that operate in Canada.

Starting on July 1, 2022, for all sales of tangible goods sold within Canada, eBay will be collecting the Canadian sales taxes (GST/HST/QST/ PST) from Canada-based buyers on behalf of Canada-based sellers (irrespective of their tax registration status) and remitting the tax to the appropriate tax authorities. eBay will also be responsible for collection of the Canadian sales taxes on supplies to Canada-based buyers of digitally downloaded goods, including sales from non-Canadian sellers.

To ensure that the correct amount of tax is applied on your eBay purchases, please confirm that your account information is up to date. Upon the launch of this sales tax implementation, eBay won’t be able to support and accept exemptions for buyers who qualify for the First Nations or resale exemptions. First Nations buyers can apply for a rebate to the CRA on exempt purchases. For provincial exemptions, buyers can go to the respective tax authority for a refund.

eBay’s Terms & Conditions have been will be updated to implement these changes and provide for compliance with applicable laws.

Additional information about the federal measures can be found at the CRA site or by calling their hotline: Notification and information reporting: GST/HST for digital economy businesses - Canada.ca

Please consult with your tax advisor if you have specific questions or concerns about these changes.

As always, thank you for buying on eBay.
The eBay Canada Team

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 07:22:23 pm »

Yes, it is very disappointing. Tax on money (ridiculous)! There's no end to the greed the government displays. I think it's a body blow to the hobby (especially Canadians). It's bad for both CDN sellers & CDN buyers (as sellers have to deal with that & buyers have to pay tax on everything now).  I'm not sure how it works for international buyers.

I won't be listing anything on eBay again. I tried once & nobody saw my listings & ended up losing money. Nevertheless, I gave it a 2nd try, more people saw my listings but the auction didn't end well anyway (lost or broke even except for one note). 

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 08:49:45 pm »

Yes, it is very disappointing. Tax on money (ridiculous)! There's no end to the greed the government displays. I think it's a body blow to the hobby (especially Canadians). It's bad for both CDN sellers & CDN buyers (as sellers have to deal with that & buyers have to pay tax on everything now).  I'm not sure how it works for international buyers.

I won't be listing anything on eBay again. I tried once & nobody saw my listings & ended up losing money. Nevertheless, I gave it a 2nd try, more people saw my listings but the auction didn't end well anyway (lost or broke even except for one note).

I have never perchased anything from ebay nor have I ever sold anything using that service.  I am definitely never going to use it now!

The government always finds a way to take its cut...on everything! >:-(

Redlock
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 01:46:51 pm »

If I buy on ebay Canada (or ebay.com) ebay automatically imposes the German VAT (19%) on the buy, including postage. (I live in Germany).
Enforcing collecting VAT from buys outside the European Union (Germany, of course, being a member) has become very strict in the entire EU since 2021.
Therefore, buying coins or banknotes from a seller outside the EU has become very expensive and basically ''unattractive.''
There are currently two or three banknotes I would like to buy from dealers in the USA and Canada. However, I won't do it. The 19% VAT is making a buy way too expensive. I hope that the banknotes I am looking for will eventually appear from a seller within the EU.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 04:20:24 pm »

Hey "Redlock" welcome to CPMF.

Are you the same Redlock member as I see over at CCF?

Redlock
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 01:44:49 am »

Hey "Redlock" welcome to CPMF.

Are you the same Redlock member as I see over at CCF?

Yes, I am  :)
AJG
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 06:15:22 am »

To be quite honest, I am surprised it took them this long to start charging GST/HST, PST, etc. on eBay.  But do realize that we had a rough economy for two years due to the pandemic, with loss of sales and a plethora of layoffs - and now they are trying to get the economy back on track pretty quickly. I wouldn't call it greed by the federal government - if it was greed, someone would keep the money for himself/herself.  Plus, the Government does spend the money to help boost the economy.  Canada knows what they are doing - and we need to think of the good - and not the bad - that is associated with these new laws.

Unlike what Dean said, I will still use eBay.  I just don't order as often to begin with (I only order when I have a surplus in my account), and even still the bulk of my orders are for U.S. dealers, but not associated with currency collecting.  Besides, I think the extra increase we will have to pay will probably be just "pennies".
« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 06:22:30 am by AJG »
gus5pin
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 03:26:08 pm »

And the worse part is I already pay HST mon my sales, now eBay will collect HST again from the buyers. A tax and a tax, nothing like the Canadian government at work!

On a more personal note it's very nice the see this forum back up and running. I really missed it while it was shut down. A big thank you to Brent for all the work in the past.

4fatboy
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 01:40:07 pm »

Correct me, if I am wrong.

Over 20 years ago, I had contacted CRA (including local tax authorities) regarding GST / PST.  At that time, the answer to me was "NO" need to collect GST if the sales of goods and service is below $30,000 (this is simply easy for sole proprietor / contractor / say cleaning janitor that the revenue is not big ....)

If I am an occasional seller in ebay (less than $30K per year), do I still need to collect GST?  Grey area need to address with CRA.

Anyway, collect GST from buyer is hurting people to buy from ebay cause sometime I still buying items in ebay from the Asian seller (cheap price .... but currently the shipping fees increased a lot .... then adding GST is driving me out of ebay)

54devs
  • Only money will help me now !!!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 10:48:29 am »

Let's see what kind of a financial hit eBay Canada will take once the buyers start getting charged for taxes. Many buyers will stop buying altogether.

I'm a seller on eBay Canada and I'm selling my own personal items, I'm not an eBay store but now the playing field is equal between eBay stores and personal sellers. I don't have a problem with taxes being collected from all buyers regardless of the sellers status but there will be a financial downturn for all unregistered (non eBay stores) as we will have to lower our prices even further to compete with the eBay stores and we simply don't have that amount of inventory to compete on the same level.

I guess time will tell

Marc
missinglink3
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 10:05:07 am »

Yes, I am  :)

Hi Redlock, you can put a list of what you're looking for here on this forum !!
Maybe some members have what you want and can ship to you for a lower price.

Danke !!
Redlock
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 01:55:12 am »

Hi Redlock, you can put a list of what you're looking for here on this forum !!
Maybe some members have what you want and can ship to you for a lower price.

Danke !!

Yeah, that's a good idea.
Regarding Canadian banknotes I am a total beginner. Therefore, I am presently only trying to put together a type set of Canadian banknotes starting with the Frontier series (you got to start somewhere).
I think I'll put a list soon.
Thanks for the advice.  :)

Login with username, password and session length