Author
Topic: "Unfit Notes" BoC Poster  (Read 874 times)
swadams
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2022, 02:48:41 pm »

For the discussion on who may be depicted on future bank notes ... this is a link to the "short list" for the next printing of a $5 note from the BoC website.  The only name I recognize is Terry Fox out of the 8 people on the list.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/banknoteable-5/nominees/#short-list

One of the best reasons to think that Terry Fox won't appear, besides his appearance on the 2005 Loonie, is actually what you just said ... none of these other names are recognized.

"Wokeness" aside, there is a reasonable desire to promote Canadians who have had an impact on our country and who aren't as well known. The idea of less politicians being glorified, doesn't seem bad to me. Now ... will we see some arguably regional figures appearing to be elevated to national prominence? Sure. Will it be influenced by the Finance Minister and the government of the day? Sure.

I for one don't mind learning more of the country's history through a selection of the people on the notes, and I hope that in time we'll see the 10 rotate to another "note-able" Canadian.

We can argue whether this choice or that choice is good, bad, or just political but overall I think the idea is reasonable and has legs for future designs.

[ img ]http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/sndb/sigtag.php?u=swadams[ /img ]
AJG
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2022, 10:17:37 am »

I am not sure if it's true, but I did hear rumor from a teller at a Scotiabank branch near where I live back in May that they don't have $10 bills anymore, as I heard a customer asked for $10s and the cash dispenser spewed $20s instead.  The customer corrected the teller and told her she wanted $10s, but the teller may have said "we don't have tens anymore."  the real peculiar thing is, I went to that very same branch one week before, and the cash dispenser did spew a $10 (I asked for it).  So I am thinking the BoC's article was likely updated by mid-May, and the MacDonald $10s are now being withdrawn.

Maybe, if $10 notes with MacDonald on them are being recalled, they're not being replaced in my province - implying that demand in Newfoundland and Labrador is now zero, and there is no need to have them in the province any longer.

So I am thinking that, when $10 bills are being deposited in banks, they're sending them back, and permanently discontinuing ordering them due to zero demand - for my province, that is.  I still see plenty of $10s at my local Sobeys supermarket, but most of them are the MacDonald variety - it seems like, unlike the rest of Canada, there has been heavy exposure of MacDonald tens in my province, or maybe Atlantic Canada in general.

If this "permanently discontinued ordering them" rumor is true, then I bet that, by next spring or summer, $10 bills will become scarce like the long-defunct 50ยข coin was.  I think the possible zero demand in my province was likely driven by mass inflation this year.

I don't buy the MacDonald's likeness issue being the reason for withdrawing the Frontiers issue $10 note, as the BoC confirmed that he will appear on one of the two largest denominations of banknotes in the future.  But I bet, whatever denomination he appears on next will likely see a significant drop in the number in circulation because many Canadians of all generations have disparaged him based on his past policies and practices.

Considering the train theme on the back of the Frontiers $10, it's possible that the $10 bill in my province (and maybe most of Atlantic Canada) may soon literally reach the end of the line.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2022, 10:36:38 am by AJG »
Canadian Bill
  • Go Jays Go!
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2022, 10:17:12 pm »

I'm wondering about the 'theory' that $10 MacDonald notes are being 'removed' from circulation because of who is depicted on the note when the majority seem to be in such poor condition... and there is a circulating alternative for the ten being the new Desmonds.  There isn't option for other notes like the 5 where they just keep issuing new.  Perhaps we should all be asking ... when is the current 'stock' of signatures the BoC going to run out and they need to start issuing Rogers????

Saving paper notes from the shredder ... one 'bill' at a time!! :)
AJG
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2022, 11:23:54 pm »

I now have even more reason not to buy this "MacDonald's likeness" theory as to why the 2013 $10s are being withdrawn.  The reason is that his likeness is on the 2017 commemorative issue which is still in circulation (at least in Atlantic Canada).  And I agree with one poster that there have been new 2013 issue $10 notes released as recently as last year, and I believe I was one of the users who got my hands on some new 2013 issue $10 notes as early as around April 2021 (mainly FTVs).  The 2013 issue $10s that exist in my province (and likely the rest of Atlantic Canada) are still in pretty good condition, but I have a feeling that, unless some banks in my province start releasing the Macklem/Poloz signature $10s from any outstanding stockpiles, there could be Desmond $10s finally seeing the light of day in my province in a few years' time - but far fewer $10 notes as opposed to 20 years ago.  I don't know if the Scotiabank branch I deal with will have them - I certainly hope the rumour I heard six months ago isn't true.
Canadian Bill
  • Go Jays Go!
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2022, 05:57:41 pm »

I went to one of my TD Toronto branches today and got 200 10 dollar notes.  Not a Mac10 in the bunch -- what are the odds of this?  This is a first that I have found a bank branch "actively" pulling these notes from circulation, while I still get lots of them (never in better than VF condition) from every other branch. Anyone else noticed this?

As for the AJG's situation in the east coast, could it be because when the final supply of Mac10s were issued each province got an allotment and other provinces have used theirs up faster than eastern provinces, causing the BoC to issue the Desmonds to Toronto, for example due to demand for newer notes?

Every time I go to the bank and do a transaction that includes 100's of notes -- any notes in extremely poor condition cause free standing counting machines to malfunction and even the cash distribution machines to jamb (just like a photocopier does).  There has to come a time when old notes cost banks money due to the fact that the machines they use simply can not process them any longer.  When your business is counting thousands and thousands of notes, and those notes become so old that the machines wont process them -- the BoC has no choice but to issue new notes.

Economically, I can't see the BoC cancelling the 10 note anytime soon and wonder if east coast collectors are simply caught in 10 dollar note hell/limbo.  The province has not used up its supply of Mac10s that they are actively pulling from circulation, and there is not enough demand to issue new prefixes of either Mac10s or Desmonds?  They could have a massive supply of 5 dollar notes that they likely NEED to use up before the next revision of the design of this note, and therefore it may seem like they have stopped issuing 10s?

I don't know whether to feel sorry for AJG, or be a little envious and whether his situation is a blessing or a curse?  Wouldn't new prefixes of either notes issued in his province likely to be exclusive to the east coast that the rest of us in other provinces will never see?

Don't know how to start a poll ... but wondering what the 10 note situation is in other provinces?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2022, 06:04:30 pm by Canadian Bill »

Saving paper notes from the shredder ... one 'bill' at a time!! :)
AJG
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2022, 10:42:13 am »

I did learn that one RBC branch in St. John's does have $10 bills over the counter.  Someone I know did get a Viola Desmond $10 and two $5s with the Lane/Macklem signatures (INN prefix).  It could just be that demand for $10s in the East end of St. John's is very low, and there have been Desmond $10s - but mostly in the inner city area.

Login with username, password and session length