Author
Topic: 100$ EJB  (Read 5245 times)
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« on: September 19, 2022, 04:55:41 pm »

Hi everyone,
Did someone have a answer for my question?I look at the serial number DB and it says one EJB found under 1 million,in the catalogue it supposed to have only 5 million was printed.The serial number suposed to start at 5005545 to 9999999?Why all the EJB was not print?About the EJZ I think the bank start to taking out of circulation to let place for the polymer?Maybe thats why they have higher price?Like the 5$ last prefix HAE to HAL were out of circulation before they go all in circulation?
Do not take attention to my english I'm not realy good.
Thank you to take time to put commentary on that post.

Claude
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:12:43 am »

Hi Claude,

I just did a RAW QUERY to see that only 1 note was entered for EJB under 5M (by "Rupiah"). Now the question remains if that low # note was truly an EJB or some other prefix or some other serial number.

I'm not sure anybody outside the printers would know for sure what actually happened to the EJB prefix for the $100.  The same questions could be asked about the $20 ERG (If you do a RAW Query you will find 1.79M to 2.88M & then 6.66M) & the largest concentration of ERG remain in the 6.66M to 9.99M).

I am sure there are other gaps in other prefixes for the Journey series.  And then the practice of huge serial number gaps remains with the polymer Frontiers series as the $10 M-C FTH remains another mystery too.

It makes one wonder if the printers had serial numbering problems or major production problems and then just threw out sheets & decided to omit them (to start again at a later range). Perhaps they decided to use another prefix? I don't believe their commitment to completing one prefix is the same after the BIRDS but all of this is speculation. Maybe somebody in the printing business can shed some light.. 

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 03:01:48 pm »

I was reading some back posts and saw that the replacement ranges were reported by members who are/were "brickers" and that some are not doing this anymore.  Firstly is this correct, and if so, is it possible that some replacement ranges were not catalogued, which could explain large gaps in missing SNs for some of the later prefixes?

It wasn't just "brickers" who reported replacements discovered in other bricks of notes (or different prefixes where they should not have been).  All of us reported discoveries & they were reported to Gilles P who kept track of it all and that's how the insert replacements were documented.

The EGR $20 occurred in 2008 & the EJB prefix was printed in 2011 so I don't think they're related. The printers have never been committed to full 10M runs (they may try but there will always be some that are shortened or have gaps).

"Could there have been replacement ranges not catalogued?" I'm sure there could have been a few ranges- especially SNR ranges as these were tiny (200 to 2000)- that could have been missed. The system wasn't infallible.  I think we covered this possibility in older posts here years ago but I don't think that accounts for the gaps that have been (& not been) noted with the Journey or this (& later) Polymer series. "Brickers" & collectors both noticed that there were less and less replacements showing up before & around 2013 (the intro of 2013 polymer saw many ranges & then the inserts/SNR just dropped off).

They noticed big SN gaps in the 2015 Commemorative $20 & it was then that Charlton formerly announced that insert replacements were no longer a policy. Instead extra notes were be printed for an extended prefix (FWW). The first FIVES & TENS were introduced in 2013 & the policy (not to include insert replacements) could have been introduced after the first 10 prefixes. The FTG is the last sheet & SNR with smaller & smaller ranges. FTH $10, BSW $20, AMK $50 & EKZ $100 all could have been extended prefixes used as replacement notes to reach 10M runs for other prefixes, but we'll never know for sure since the majority were discovered well circulated (we just know they're scarce!) We just know these prefixes were super short/limited. 

Login with username, password and session length