Author
Topic: Banknotes with a story...post yours here too!  (Read 3711 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2022, 02:26:08 pm »

I recently picked up this 1974 $2 from a bank.  It seems to have Inuit writing on the back, with the name Peter Paniloo written in English on the top border.

A simple Google search reveals that Peter Paniloo was the son of Joseph Idlout, one of the Inuit hunters portrayed on the back of the note! (Second from right).

I wonder who owned this note...Was Peter Paniloo the one who wrote his own name on the note or maybe one of his friends, relatives or acquaintances wrote on it?

https://www.bankofcanadamuseum.ca/2020/10/the-story-behind-the-engraving/

Just Bank Notes
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2022, 04:14:34 pm »

Your autographed $2 note is an interesting find.

About 20 years ago I bought a similar note signed by Peter Paniloo in Inukitut, the Inuit language.  It is in a plastic sleeve along with a story about the hunt that day in 1951 when the photo was taken.  Peter was 14 years old.  Everything is presented in a seal skin folder that looks similar to an old chequebook.

There were 1,000 of these sets made and mine is serial number 99.  Many more autographed notes by Peter Paniloo are out there!

Gordon Yorke engraved this vignette and I have his signature on another $2 note along with the die proof vignette that he did from the photograph.

JBN
Canadian Bill
  • Go Jays Go!
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2022, 12:11:10 am »

I found this written on a note today.  Feels weird to just toss it back into circulation so gonna register it on www.whereswilly.com.

Saving paper notes from the shredder ... one 'bill' at a time!! :)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2022, 08:50:02 pm »

Hi, I purchased this shinplaster, along with three others.
It is cut out of register, but more interesting is that somebody (possibly two people) have written on the back.

On the bottom left, I can barely make out the following text:

C E Stills
Strathclair Man Can

Strathclair is a hamlet in Manitoba…

Along the top margin, there is a faded pencil inscription.  I can’t read it fully because the note is very worn and the writing is faded.

H E…(unintelligible script)  1921.

Can anybody assist me to read this?

I love the little bits of history preserved on these notes.  Too often, notes that have been written on are frowned upon, but I consider them to be historic documents.

Enjoy,
Dean

Canadian Bill
  • Go Jays Go!
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2022, 11:23:15 pm »

Hey Dean,

I'm a huge fan of WW 'short snorters' and I looked at your note before I read your post and thought that the script said "E.B. Stiles, Strathclair Man. Can."  I have found war records for an E.B. Stiles "killed in action" in 1944, but his DOB is 1921, making him 23 years old when he died, and his parents were from the east coast.

Strathclair, MB is not a massive metropolis so if there was anyone named Stills or Stiles that served in the military his records would not be hard to find.

The signature may not be war related at all, and I may have the initials totally wrong but for the sake of 'banknotes with a story' .... here are his war records.

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/wardead/details.php?qnum=43481

P.S. I think the other signature also says Strathclair very faintly at the end before the date, and could the date actually be 1931? and not 1921?  It would make more sense if the signature on the front is EB Stiles date wise?

Saving paper notes from the shredder ... one 'bill' at a time!! :)

Login with username, password and session length