Author
Topic: 2017 $10 Dollar Commerative - CDE prefix  (Read 5645 times)
upc239
  • Just a collector of Canadian Banknotes and dollars
    • Personal collection
« on: November 03, 2022, 09:28:24 pm »

Hi everyone

I understand that the CDF prefix is a short run, but what happened to the CDE prefixes? Havent seen any on eBay or in stores except for the certified ones.

The CDA, CDB, CDC and CDD's are quite abundant....

What am I missing?

Visit my site for extra bills that I'm currently offloading
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2022, 02:43:58 am »

They're common in circulation.  Well, let me rephrase since this series as a whole is rapidly disappearing from circulation... The CDE prefix is approximately as common as the CDA-CDD prefixes in circulation.  This is based on my experience of looking through a great number of circulated $10s over the last few months.  In fact, the Serial Number Database suggests the same: CDE is no more or less common than the other CDA-CDD prefixes based on the notes entered within the last 24 months.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
upc239
    • Personal collection
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2022, 07:26:16 am »

I agree with you and have come to the same conclusion,  but it still doesnt explain why they are scarce on ebay and in at least 9 differerent shops.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 07:32:01 am by upc239 »

AZ
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2022, 08:25:07 am »

I agree with you and have come to the same conclusion,  but it still doesnt explain why they are scarce on ebay and in at least 9 differerent shops.
The only reason for this scarcity is perhaps the fact that CDE prefix was the last to be issued. By that time everyone had found and saved large numbers of CDA-CDD notes.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2022, 05:34:56 pm »

In my area, I saw CDE more often than the other regular run prefixes (CDA, CDB, CDC, CDD). I just never saw an UNC CDF - only circulated ones so I purchased a few from a member here.  I don't think you can use eBay as a good barometer of the scarcity (or commonality) of any particular note nor prefix.  If you want a tough "150" Commemorative $10.00 stick with high grade CDF as it's the toughest one of the 6 prefixes.

Also, if you check the PMG population reports, it can also be pretty misleading since collectors tend to hold onto what's scarce (or tough) so they don't give an accurate picture of any particular prefix, year or signature comb either.  It is based on Krause catalogue which hasn't really distinguished the difference between one prefix or another very well (eg: J/A vs H/A 1937 $1.00) This is especially the case for World currency (but I imagine the same would hold true for US & BoC issues). 

upc239
    • Personal collection
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2022, 06:22:48 pm »

Great response and I generally agree. However my research into the scarcity of the CDE prefix is also based on the lack of availability on major coin stores (Colonial, London Coin, Gatewest, JM, Monnaie Sherbrooke, etc...) all of which have the other prefixes but no CDE nor CDF's.

My other measure of Scarcity is that Im looking for one everywhere now and cant find it :)

Finally, IMO, eBay is probably the best barometer that I know of to find coins & paper availability.

Im enjoying this conversation!

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2022, 06:38:29 pm »

I picked this up awhile back, paid a premium for 68

CPMS Member 1564
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 09:55:05 am »

Great response and I generally agree. However my research into the scarcity of the CDE prefix is also based on the lack of availability on major coin stores (Colonial, London Coin, Gatewest, JM, Monnaie Sherbrooke, etc...) all of which have the other prefixes but no CDE nor CDF's.

My other measure of Scarcity is that Im looking for one everywhere now and cant find it :)
When I first started pouring my paycheque into eBay, you could look at the online marketplace as somewhat indicative of what was out there.  (IE: what sellers had & what collectors were buying mirrored the supply & demand situation) We all knew that it was probably 20-40% cheaper to buy online rather than walk into our LCS. [But you took your chances with the grading/condition of what you were buying]. 

Buying newer series (like original CDN Journey at the time) was mostly an eBay experience as most LCS only would sell Birds & earlier series.  That was about 15-17 years ago when the CPMF first emerged (& you could use the chatter here also as good indicator for who had what & who was looking for what). The CPMF was a flurry of posts (activity) back then. And I felt we could buy notes for a fair market value since almost everything was TAsL (True Auction style Listings) which started at $0.99.  This was for mostly ungraded notes mind you (TPG notes were just emerging with inconsistent results from PMG & PCGS).

Then eBay started tinkering around with their listing fees & started gouging sellers as the cost of the Final Value Fees sky-rocketed. Before eBay gouged everyone, 80-90% of the items listed were TAsL & 10-20% were BIN (Buy It Now).  Now a days, it has flipped-flopped so that 95% of the listings are BIN & 5% are TAsL.  And it is practically impossible for a seller to use TAsL & break even. For this reason, it is very difficult to get a handle on what is tough & what is not.

Feel free to contact me if you want an UNC CDE $10. You won't be able to find a better price I'm pretty sure.

upc239
    • Personal collection
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2022, 12:13:33 pm »

Great post !

I also have a bunch of 2018 Violas in GEM condition.

PM sent!

M.

Login with username, password and session length