Author
Topic: Where is FFG?  (Read 1763 times)
AJG
« on: March 03, 2023, 01:08:30 pm »

I noticed on the SNDB, the W/M $10s have been in Canada for quite some time (though many areas, particularly Atlantic Canada, has yet to see them).  We have seen such a tiny run of W/M $10s released so far, with FFF, FFH and FFJ being the only full-run prefixes issued so far.  Now we are seeing the R/M signature combo on the $10s, and to this date, the only remaining W/M $10 prefix, FFG, has not been issued.

I wonder if FFG may never see the light of day due to being interpreted as a controversial reference? AFG was issued in the 1980s, and BFG was previously issued twice, but I do not see anything controversial about them.

If FFG never will be issued, then this is a tell-tale sign that the $10 note has fallen further in demand, with only three full-run prefixes and two changeovers.  It will be interesting to find out how many of the latest batch of R/M $10s will be issued.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 04:45:23 pm »

FFG is being skipped because of the several distasteful meanings behind the letters.  Check out Urban Dictionary.  Note, some of the material there is NSFW and/or not recommended for minors.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
AJG
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 09:43:30 pm »

That's what I've been thinking all along.  With that said, I think the SNDB should be updated to label the row for FFG as "Not released".
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 02:25:49 pm »

I personally did not find anything offensive related to the letters. 
That said, I found the wrestling term quite humorous and don't see the need to skip this prefix.

Teetos
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2023, 10:32:56 pm »

Skipping FFG but then issuing FFS ???  (might as well FFS!)

AL-Bob
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2023, 11:16:35 am »

I don't get it.  You could find something offensive on Urban Dictionary for any combination of letters.  I must be out of touch but I don't see anything noteworthy about FFG.  Any letter combination containing "F" is going to be ripe for NSFW content.  BoC should have stuck with 11 digit numbers!

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
AZ
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2023, 11:52:24 am »

I do not get it either. I had not even heard about the FFG abbreviation until Brent mentioned it. There got to be another reason…
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2023, 06:19:59 pm »

You guys either really, really trust me, or you're a little gullible.  I have no clue why FFG notes have not yet been seen in circulation.  Has the prefix been skipped entirely?  Doubtful, but possible.  Probably just a coincidence that none have yet been reported.

I guess everyone should focus on entering $10 notes to the SNDB for a while and see if any FFG can be found.

PS: My previous post about why FFG was skipped is complete BS.  Got ya!  lol.  As AL-Bob aptly noted, offensive meanings can be found for just about anything if one looks hard enough.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
AJG
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 09:21:08 pm »

I get a feeling that FFG could get released, but it may be sitting in the back of bank vaults while the Rogers/Macklem prefixes are being distributed.  And maybe it's one of those prefixes that has a long delay in appearing - and if so, that prefix may likely get released in Atlantic Canada someday.  As I said before, prefixes that go many, many months or more than a year of inactivity usually get released in Atlantic Canada.  I recall FTU having a lot of inactivity for a very long time, and it did eventually get released to Atlantic Canada (as I saw a low for that prefix reported in Halifax, Nova Scotia).  Same theory for $5 HCG.

I do agree that offensive meanings can be found in any prefix combination.  I remember several $100 prefixes in the FK series that could be short form of a certain controversial word, and they still got released.  Controversial meanings could happen with any prefix combination - even with the defunct BABN prefixes that once started with A or B.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 09:28:05 pm by AJG »
AJG
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2023, 11:11:39 am »

Well, what do you know? There's finally an FFG reported to the SNDB.  I guess that puts an end to this saga, and disproves the skipping claim after many months.

Login with username, password and session length