Author
Topic: Slight ink transfer effect on grading & Pick Numbers?  (Read 2428 times)
Breanna72
« on: June 21, 2023, 05:22:20 pm »

Hello everyone,

I'm new here (but not a total novice).  I am sorting through my best notes to send 300 for grading at PMG and have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone can answer. 

Can anyone tell me if slight ink transfer on an otherwise flawless polymer note will effect obtaining a grade of Gem UNC 70?

And, when submitting Canadian notes for grading to PMG should I use the "Pick" numbers, or should I use the Charlton Guide Catalogue numbers?  If it's "Pick" where do I find them?

TIA for any input.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 08:31:24 am »

Hi there,

Welcome to the CPM forum.

I submitted a Modern bulk lot of 49 World notes (+ 1 Canadian note) to PMG last year. I used Charlton codes (BC-##) & that's how they listed the 1 BoC note I submitted.  If you are going to submit 300 notes you should probably divide your notes into 6 separate submissions.  You could contact them & see if they will accept a 100 at a time. I would also separate your series before 1957 in one 50 lot submission & later series in the Bulk Modern submission. This is b/c they have separate rates for pre-1957 & post 1957. I'm not sure if you've downloaded/printed their PDF submission form but you will see this on the form (& postage/FedEx gets very pricey the larger the lots).  Either way, you should probably contact them since you have such a large submission & they may give you a rate discount (or you could at least ask for one).

Can anyone tell me if slight ink transfer on an otherwise flawless polymer note will effect obtaining a grade of Gem UNC 70?
I'm not a grader so I cannot tell you what goes through their minds when they assign # for the UNC notes they inspect/certify. All I can say is that they will inspect your note closely & detect any minor flaws & then deduct.  One thing US collectors/certifiers are merciless for is gauging how well-centred a note is & registration (whether the obverse design lines up with the reverse design). If there's slight excess ink that could bring the numbers down too & you don't want it mentioned as an issue (on the back of the note). A flaw is a flaw. I don't wish to sound overly pessimistic but I had my high hopes (for high grades) dashed when my "flawless" notes were finally sent back to me. (One even got a 64!) I also know this is not uncommon.

Good luck & let us know how it turns out for you!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 08:37:14 am by walktothewater »

Breanna72
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 04:11:00 pm »

Thank you for your reply.  The majority of this submission is polymer, and I am being overly harsh in my personal review prior to shipping.  Will let you know what I get back.
Breanna72
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2023, 08:51:41 pm »

I did read they examine the note at 5x magnification, and I do to, before I send. Also review multiple times under multiple different lights.  So, I'm trying ... let's see what happens!!!
AL-Bob
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2023, 03:07:07 pm »

I'm curious to find out what you get back.  I don't think I've ever gotten higher than 68 EPQ from any of my submissions.  However, those have been mostly older notes.  I have no idea about the grading criteria for brand new polymer notes.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com

Login with username, password and session length