Author
Topic: 2013 $5 Serial and Position Numbers  (Read 2557 times)
Mango4
« on: August 12, 2024, 06:23:51 pm »

My first post, so please correct me if I am out of order.

Over the past few months I have examined 5000+ $5 bills - uncirculated BOC bundles.

I now have a lot of information regarding this issue (particularly those serials ending in double numbers i.e. 11, 22 etc.).

Would this information be of use within this forum?  It is in database format that can be posted as a JPG or PDF.

I just want to contribute.

Breanna72
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2024, 12:59:18 pm »

Hi Mango4,

Thanks for the offer of the data you collected. 

I don't know if the data you gathered may be of interest to others (perhaps some may chime in here), but the only information that I can think of that may be of interest would be the total number of each of these prefixes you came across and perhaps a range span, as members on this site normally don't enter long-runs of notes in the SNDB as it is too labour intensive.

A lot of collectors look for characteristics that are of interest to them, and not a lot of others.  For example we have a collector that specializes in notes with bank stamps, and another that specializes in font size differences in certain issues.  These are considered "niche" areas of collecting. 

I too have been searching $5 notes, and while I hang on to a few notes from all prefix (at least until it can be determined if it was a full issue), I specifically target signature change-over notes at the time of issue in order to get some in the highest grade I can find.  For example the INS prefix that started to circulate a few months ago is split between two signature combinations. I also keep the usual radars, repeaters, ladder notes, etc. 

This brings me to a question, if you want to share, why did you pointed out the data about notes ending in double digits?

Cheers,
Breanna

Mango4
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2024, 02:02:39 pm »

Hi Breanna,

Thank you for your reply.

As regards the double digits - I started collecting those under the misapprehension that I would have a better chance of snagging the changeover of signatures.  I have now discontinued this, and I now collect the same as you.  BTW - I only have 5 X INS.  Do we know when the changeover occurred?

I also was mistaking the position number for a plate number DUH!

I have also attached a PDF showing my HCL and HCY serials.  Do you think that this type of information will be useful within the group?

Michael

« Last Edit: August 17, 2024, 02:05:56 pm by Mango4 »
Breanna72
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2024, 05:29:51 pm »

Hi Michael,

The changeover for INS is unconfirmed at 3969000.

You need to explore the Serial Number Data Base tab for all the info on what prefixes are changeovers for all denominations.  It is also a place where you can enter the info on notes you find in circulation, or ATMs (but not long runs).

Cheers,
Breanna
Mango4
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2024, 05:41:52 pm »

Thank you :)

Login with username, password and session length