Author
Topic: Gifted World Notes Post 1  (Read 718 times)
Breanna72
« on: September 02, 2024, 04:56:47 pm »

Hey All,

I have never set out to be a world note collector but people keep gifting them to me so ... guess I am.  :D

Met a friend the other day and he gave me all of the notes that he collected while travelling the world for work as a geology engineer, or for pleasure.  Photos are of front and back. Will be a couple of posts.

Notes with approximate years are: 1966 Portugal, 1990 China, 1994 Kazakhstan, 1995 Papua New Guinea, 1996 Hong Kong/Shanghai, 1997 Russia, 1997 Chile, 1999 Indonesia, 2002 Republic of Columbia, 2003 Mongolia, 2003 Dominican Republic, 2012 Mexico

Enjoy,
B

P.S. the Mexico 100 Peso note has a bank stamp on it for "Banco Azteca, S.A. 127" but sorry Dean, I’m keeping it.  :'(

« Last Edit: September 02, 2024, 05:04:32 pm by Breanna72 »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 12:20:23 pm »

I visited an old university flatmate from Ireland in 2004. While there, I could not find a decent 5 Euro with the short lived (1st) Wim Duisenburg signature so that challenge (once I got home) & my friends collection of about 100 circulated world notes (he was a "globe-trotter" collector too) nudged me into collecting World a year or two later.

The 500 Escudos from Portugal is from 1966, has the 4th Nunes & Coutinho signature combo is popular & sells for about $15 in that condition. I don't know much about the other notes (from Chile, Russia, DR) but I have the same 5000 Pesos from Columbia (radar) and an Indonesian radar too.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 12:24:50 pm »

Here's the 5 & 10 Euro notes I was looking for both from Greece, with the Duisenberg signature. You can tell they're from Greece due to the Y prefix:

Breanna72
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2024, 05:47:13 pm »

Hey WTTW,

Thanks for all that!  I do really like both the Portuguese and Columbian notes. (is it wrong of me to say I want to test the Columbian note for cocaine?) LOL ... too late!!  8) :D

I also like the 5000 Russian Ruble note which is actually dated 1993 as it pairs nicely with the Kazakhstan notes also dated 1993 which I think (maybe wrong) are the first issues of notes for both countries, after the break up of the Soviet Union. Don't quote me on this.

I am very grateful to my friend for giving me these notes.  He doesn't have kids and I'm sure he felt that I would be the next best 'ambassador' for them, which I will.

It sure is odd that I can't get a Canadian paper note in the wild (proverbially) if my life depended on it ... but other paper notes just seem to find their way to me -- from all corners of the globe!  Just goes to show --- maybe its true that when "He" closes one door, He really DOES open a window!!! LOL  ;)

Cheers, B

Breanna72
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2024, 05:53:00 pm »

Thanks for those too WTTW!

I need to learn more about Euros.  I have friends going to Sicily, crossing into Italy and traveling north to Austria in September.  Is there anything I should ask them to find for me??? LOL

B
Redlock
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2024, 01:21:05 am »

Here's the 5 & 10 Euro notes I was looking for both from Greece, with the Duisenberg signature. You can tell they're from Greece due to the Y prefix:

(Fun?) facts about the first series of Euro banknotes:
The prefix indicates which National Central Bank ordered the notes. In this case, the €5 and the €10 were ordered by the Greek NCB.
However, the first series also has a printer code on the obverse.
It's N001B5 for the €5 note and F001B5 for the €10 note. The first letter indicates where the note was printed. 001B5 is the plate number and the position on the sheet.
N is the code for Greece -- meaning this €5 note was ordered by the Greek NCB AND printed in Greece. The F is code for ''Österreichische Banknoten- und Sicherheitsdruck GmbH,'' which means this €10 note was ordered by the Greek NCB. But it was printed in Austria by the Austrian national printer.
And yes, there are €10 notes which were ordered AND printed in Greece.

These days, Euro banknotes from Series 1 have (almost) completely disappeared from circulation. I haven't seen one in at least four or five years.

The second series of Euro banknotes, called the ''Europe series,'' does not have a code which NCB ordered the note.
Here, the serial number prefix indicates which company printed the note.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2024, 01:23:25 am by Redlock »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2024, 09:42:32 am »

Is there anything I should ask them to find for me??? LOL
Not sure: the last part of our honeymoon was in Salzburg, Austria.  My wife finally let me browse in the local coin shop & all the banknotes were extremely circulated & so over-graded/over priced, I ended up buying Euro commemorative coins (the first time I laid eyes on these).

(Fun?) facts about the first series of Euro banknotes:
Thanks @Redlock & that's the stuff I eat up. At the time I got the Greek 5 & 10 Euro, the sellers mentioned that the 10 was printed in Austria.  I also bought a 20 Euro note issued from Portugal but printed in the UK by TLDR (It was a "3 note deal" & quite dear). But I'm happy now as I learned that these are pretty tough to come by.

Here's the business side of the 20 Euro:

Login with username, password and session length