Author
Topic: who can find the value of this one???  (Read 15081 times)
frankie
« on: April 19, 2005, 10:49:21 pm »

i have a dominion of canada twenty five cent note.heres what it reads from top to bottom

the dominoin of canada
authorized by r.s.c. cap.31.
         in the middle of it has a 25 cent sign
undernieth that it says
         will pay on demand
underneath that it says
         twenty five cents
underneath that it says
         january 2nd 1900.
underneath that it says
         ottawa
underneath that it has the signature of
         something something courtney
then  it says underneath that
        deputy minister of finance
at the very bottom it says
        american bank note company,ottawa
there also a picture on the right side of it of a
women sitting on a shield holding a pitch fork and theres a picture of a ship in the background.
    if any -one of you genious-ness can help find the value of what its worth ill probly shit my pants,i also want to sell it if interested...
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 11:04:11 pm »

You did not describe what the condition this note is in. General value $8-415
frankie
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 09:15:29 pm »

Thanxs for the reply,didnt expect it so soon,but any-ways,its in fairly good condition.you can tell its over a centry old...id say almost perfect condition.
would you know where i could sell it?

I also have 18th centry coins that are in perfect condition and some uncirculated from all over parts of the world and i cannot find them in any books. maby i should post there picture up?
what do you guys think???? :-/
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 09:23:10 pm by frankie »
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 09:37:25 pm »

I'd love to see the pictures  :D

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 01:28:39 am »

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/English/DoC/all_Shinplasters.htm for shinplasters.

With all due respect to all you coins people... we don't do coins here.
frankie
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 02:34:17 pm »

hey ,heres one you can help me find the value for. i cant seem to find it :'( .pic attached. :-?

[attachment deleted by admin]
frankie
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 02:37:30 pm »

and here's the back-side.... 8-)

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 03:02:27 pm »

With all due respect to the previous responder (Frankie), how is it possible that a person who joined the CPM Forum over one year ago (in April 2005) still doesn't know about the Charlton Standard Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money so that he/she can look up the value of this exceedingly common note himself/herself? Come on Frankie, please give us all a break!!

Is this what is commonly referred to as "SPAM" ???
[warnyel=username,1]"With all due respect"... Your post here is far from respectful, and is completely out of line. In fact, in a nice twist of irony, your posts are actually SPAM because you double-posted the exact same thing in two separate threads. Let's not repeat this outburst again, shall we? Thank you. --BWJM[/warnyel]

« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 03:51:58 pm by BWJM »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
frankie
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2006, 03:23:54 pm »

i dont spend my whole life on here and everytime i try to look up something ,it never gives me what i want...plus this whole canadian site thing sucks and is way to complicated for the simple minded individual who expects to get the rusults of what he types in in the search box, but instead he gets a bunch of bullshit forums and jibberish talk that has nothing to do with what he's lookin for,and collecters that dont have nothing to do all day but talk about money from centries ago that cant be used and dont mean shit...in fact, i already now what its worth, {from last year},and needed an updated {this years} price.... 8-)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 04:02:48 pm »

One would expect that if someone is a member here for quite some time and/or has any interest in Canadian paper money that they get themselves a Charlton guide. They are inexpensive, widely available, and contain a ton of useful and interesting information.

However, one must also realize that not everyone is addicted to this stuff as some of us are. That is precisely why we have the What's it Worth? forum. If we completely shunned all of these sorts of queries, there would be no What's it Worth? forum, and we'd simply tell everyone to buy the book and look it up themselves. But that's not very conducive to enticing more people into this hobby, and it is not in-line with being an open, welcoming online community that I believe we are trying to be.

Now then... Ottawa: The above is a warning. Don't let it happen again please. Show some respect and follow the Golden Rule: "Do unto others as you would have done unto you." frankie: While your response is certainly provoked, you would have been wiser to not dignify this thread with a response. Please consider getting a Charlton guide. It is the best piece of advice you're ever going to get from these forums.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2006, 04:52:56 pm »

I think it is time to re-open the investigation into the heavy-handed moderation of one of this forum's top administrators.  How many complaints do there have to be before something is done about this behaviour?

I probably souldn't respond to this but... BOO HOO  :'(  Get over it.

You seem to be the only one complaining. You seem to enjoy stirring the pot.I think the moderators are doing a fine job and put many hours in for no pay.
  You can't keep everyone happy all of the time.

Gary_T
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2006, 04:55:41 pm »

I disagree Rachelsprivates. BWJM has always been polite, proper, informative as well considerate towards everyone I have come into contact with. He has always been helpful answer any questions I have, from the time I was a newbie up until today when I myself am a moderator.  
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 04:56:21 pm by Oli1001 »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 05:47:26 pm »

Weren't you previously banned from these forums, Rachelsprivates? You speak of privacy, yet you have dropped many hints as to your identity over the last several months, including direct links to your website, and your response above simply confirms your name.

So, for evading a ban in place, we ought to simply remove you again. Any other opinions?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2006, 05:58:00 pm »

Racheprivates as a CPMF regular, and as a member of the Canadian Paper Money Society, I'm surprised that you take such offense to the moderation of this forum.  I cannot see anything wrong with BWJM's attempts at keeping the peace here.  What did he do to deserve being jumped all over like this?  Is "Ottawa" a buddy of yours that you feel needs defending?  Or is he an alias?  Do you think that every time a member on here is extremely sarcastic that that will foster input on this site?  My Lord HOW RIDICULOUS!!!

I read your post about an error  (which is totally unrelated to this thread BTW) and I don't really see what your beef is (or your point).  You've been insistent to point out how experienced you are (in collecting/dealing), and have contributed some interesting articles/posts, so it would be only natural to question why (as an expert) you'd be soliciting 2nd and 3d opinions on an error note's value.  IMO There was nothing untoward with the moderator's response.

This caustic retort to BWJM's post here is not really in keeping with the rules of this forum (read Rules before you post or Before you ask what its worth)  You seem to have been waiting to jump all over this excellent moderator who's only fault (if you can call it one) is his dedication to maintaining the peace on this site.  However, we all (except you apparently), know how much tireless effort BWJM puts into this fine site, so if he comes across as a bit stern, than its very easy to overlook.  

The accusation
to re-open the investigation into the heavy-handed moderation
as well as the implication that there's something seriously amiss:
How many complaints do there have to be before something is done about this behaviour?
IS WAY OVER-THE-TOP and merits an apology on your part!

only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2006, 06:01:43 pm »

Everyone's words can be interpreted differently. Maybe some care should be given to how people phrase their comments so no feelings are hurt.

just my opinion, Scott
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2006, 06:03:31 pm »

Racheprivates as a CPMF regular, and as a member of the Canadian Paper Money Society, I'm surprised that you take such offense to the moderation of this forum.  I cannot see anything wrong with BWJM's attempts at keeping the peace here.  What did he do to deserve being jumped all over like this?  Is "Ottawa" a buddy of yours that you feel needs defending?  Or is he an alias?  Do you think that every time a member on here is extremely sarcastic that that will foster input on this site?  My Lord HOW RIDICULOUS!!!

I read your post about an error  (which is totally unrelated to this thread BTW) and I don't really see what your beef is (or your point).  You've been insistent to point out how experienced you are (in collecting/dealing), and have contributed some interesting articles/posts, so it would be only natural to question why (as an expert) you'd be soliciting 2nd and 3d opinions on an error note's value.  IMO There was nothing untoward with the moderator's response.

This caustic retort to BWJM's post here is not really in keeping with the rules of this forum (read Rules before you post or Before you ask what its worth)  You seem to have been waiting to jump all over this excellent moderator.  The majority of CPMF contributors, (except you apparently), know how much tireless effort BWJM puts into this fine site, so if he comes across a bit stern, than it easy to overlook.  However much he tries to enforce the rules, we've only seen impartial professionalism on his part.  That is lacking in your posts.

The accusation
to re-open the investigation into the heavy-handed moderation
as well as the implication that there's something seriously amiss:
How many complaints do there have to be before something is done about this behaviour?
IS WAY OVER-THE-TOP and merits an apology on your part!

Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2006, 06:22:00 pm »

Hey not to gang up on any 1 person but, reading this post I have to say a few words. I do find that BWJM is doing a wonderful job even over the top seeing as its not his JOB to do this. There is nothing more in it for BWJM then the other 700+ members using the site.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2006, 06:46:44 pm »

"Your post here is far from respectful, and is completely out of line. In fact, in a nice twist of irony, your posts are actually SPAM because you double-posted the exact same thing in two separate threads. Let's not repeat this outburst again, shall we? Thank you. --- BWJM"[/b][/i]

========================================================

I've evidently stirred up a hornet's nest with my "far-from-respectful and completely-out-of-line" comments. I'm sorry for all of the inconvenience that I've caused. Please allow me to explain my "outburst":

(1) I double-posted my comments because Frankie himself had double-posted his 1900 Shinplaster comments (he posted in both the "Who can find the value of this one???" thread and the "Packets" thread) -- that's why I assumed it was SPAM -- BWJM deleted Frankie's duplicated posting from the Packets thread and added the comment "Off topic replies have been moved to This Thread". By the way, Frankie subsequently mentioned that he had submitted the same information request last year(!), i.e.,

... I dont spend my whole life on here and everytime i try to look up something ,it never gives me what i want...plus this whole canadian site thing sucks and is way to complicated for the simple minded individual who expects to get the rusults of what he types in in the search box, but instead he gets a bunch of cow poop forums and jibberish talk that has nothing to do with what he's lookin for,and collecters that dont have nothing to do all day but talk about money from centries ago that cant be used and dont mean nuts... in fact, i already now (sic) what its worth, {from last year},and needed an updated {this years} price ...[/color]8-)

(2)  I was under the impression (obviously mistakenly) that the "What's It Worth?" thread is primarily intended for the benefit of members who possess unusual and/or uncatalogued items and who want to obtain a range of opinions as to the status and value of their items, e.g., notes with non-matching serial numbers, non-matching prefixes (like rachelsprivates' $20 1991 rarity), printing errors, curious serial numbers, unlisted varieties of chartered notes, etc., etc.

I would be more than pleased to donate $20.00 so that Frankie can purchase a Charlton catalogue of his own. Please let me know where I should send my cheque, and to whom.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 08:02:00 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2006, 08:20:53 pm »

Hi Frankie,

The Shinplaster for which you posted the scan (Cat. #DC-15a) does not appear to be in any better than VG condition, in which case it is worth $12.00 according to the 19th/2007 edition of Charlton's.

For DC-15a, the current book values are as follows:

G $7, VG $12, F $16, VF $30, EF $100, AU $165 and UNC $450.

There.  The original question that started this thread has been answered (finally).  Now that the original poster's question has been answered, any further posts here should be unnecessary.

Brent PLEASE close this thread so that this "sandbox squabble" can hopefully be put to bed and not be flogged like the proverbial dead horse.  We're supposed to be adults for God's sake!

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2006, 08:32:35 pm »

Brent PLEASE close this thread so that this "sandbox squabble" can hopefully be put to bed and not be flogged like the proverbial dead horse.  We're supposed to be adults for God's sake!
Done.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2006, 02:02:46 am »

Sorry Brent, my 2 cents...

Frankie - shinplasters in this condition are fairly common. You can expect them to increase in value of about $0.50 per year, if even that much. I'm sorry the search engine does not meet your needs. I know it needs improvement, but I haven't gotten around to it. You seem to have forgotten about the main site www.CdnPaperMoney.com where much general information is available. We're working on making all of it more streamlined, searchable and interactive. Maybe by next year...  ;D

Ottawa - believe, I share your pain! The "What It's Worth" section was actually started because in the early days of the forum, the main site was more commonly used. Since it does not contain prices (and always clearly stated that on the main page), people where constantly emailing me personally with these questions. About the 6 billionth time I got asked how much a 1867-1967 $1 note was worth, I moved the process over to the forum thinking people would "look" first, ask later. Only somewhat successful.

Login with username, password and session length