Author
Topic: CJA or BLA?  (Read 5128 times)
jonathan
« on: February 01, 2004, 11:06:54 pm »

Hello, it's me.

Looks like the new Journey $100 note will still be printed by the BABN, starting with prefix BJY.  But it may look like $100 printer letter "B" will end soon, unless it releases a former retired $1 denominational letter "L", just like the current birds $50's with their denominational letter "M", formerly on the now demised $1 notes.  Or maybe, the follow-up to BJZ may be CJA (my more confident guess).  If CJA should be released, it will be only the second denominational letter to be released beginning with "C" (remember the $2 CB*'s?).  And the printer letter "C" would go beyond the series letter "K" (as CBK was the highest of the CB*'s on the retired $2) - this means we might see higher than CJK, but that may be a few years down the road...

In the meantime, I will look forward to seeing the new $100 in banks on March 17th!

Jonathan
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 12:12:53 am »

Myself I think it will be CJA.

Marc :)
westerncoin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 12:43:38 am »

Hello all from Calgary ,

If I may offer my opinion on the new hundred..I believe the first prefix will start with EJA (CBN) They have allready showed us these notes(EJE anyways but a big spread in the numbers) at the various unveilings.I also believe there will be a commeritave set (Bird and Journey) probably numbering in the 20,000-30,000 sets range. from what i can come up with the prefix will be BJY(BABN). I dont think the boc will issue any more circulation notes with that prefix.Collectors would be upset if their sets they purhase are availble in circulation..for this reason we wont see it..
My question is what signature will be on the bird 100 in the commeritave sets..Will it be Knight-Dodge or Jenkins-Dodge??? It will be interesting to see..

Thanks

T.C.
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 04:57:39 am »

I do agree with T.C. of Calgary that come Mar 17th, we will see (CBN) EJA $100 notes issued to the public.  Remember as BOC will quickly pull all existing (Bird) $100 out of circulation, a large amount of Joruney $100 would have been printed to replace them.  IMO the EJE given as a gift at the kick off launch in Vancouver could probably have pulled from some bundles of inserts for EJA... notes, or it may just be a regular note!?

Also IMO, there will probably be between 20,000-30,000 sets of  Lasting Impression issued in BJY, with Bird BJY by BABN and Journey BJY by CBN.  And if CBN  already have the plates for Journey EJA-EJE...etc, there is no problem  for them to print 20,000-30,000 BJY prefix notes before going back to EJ... prefixes.  

Yes T.C. has a very interesting question on the signature combinations. Will Birds BJY be in Knight & Dodge or Jenkins & Dodge?  Hard for me to guess.  Time will tell.

JB-2007
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 04:21:07 pm »

Should a lasting impressions come out, we'd likely see BJY. Yes i believe that Jenkins-Dodge would be the signature that would appear in those sets and infact would be quite unique seeing that it would be the only birds 100 to feature jenkins-Dodge.
As for BLA... very doubtfull. Since 1937 the letter "J" was always used as denominational letter. I dont see why after 67 years they'd suddenly change denominational letter to L. So CJA would very likely be the continuation and/or EJA also another good guess.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 01:54:53 am »

If the BoC follows the same pattern they have with the $5 and $10 Lasting Impressions sets, then we'll see BJW on the $100 if it's released.

Remember that the prefixes on the $5 and $10 sets were ANU and BEH respectively, and those prefixes were both issued on circulation notes of the Bird series.  The only ANU and BEH Journey notes produced were put into the sets; none were made for circulation.

So I'm putting my $0.02 on BJW if a Journey $100 set becomes available.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 05:26:59 pm »

If there are BJW's in a $100 Lasting Impressions set, they would be somewhere in the 9-Million range.  Also, I believe that if there are 120-Million Journey $100's distributed across Canada on March 17th, we could see the release of BJY-CJJ (if we see CJI, otherwise we would see CJK instead) if printed by BABN, or if we see the CBN $100's, we will see prefixes EJA-EJL (if we see EJI, otherwise we would see EJM instead).

I strongly predict that the lasting Impressions $100's will be released as BJY, and we would see prefix EJ*'s since there have never been any $100 notes printed by CBN after the triple letter prefixes debuted in 1981 with prefix AJA - all of our $100's have been printed by BABN.

Jonathan
harold
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 08:34:31 pm »

I agree with Jonathan,

I'm 99% sure the next prefix will be EJ* since we have already seen EJE, which in my opinion is not a test note.

Interesting that you think there are many new Journey notes ready to be distributed.  Another collector cannot get crisp Bird Series 100's in bricks anymore, which means the distribution of old notes has stopped.

Prefix collectors better get their cash lined up.  St Patrick's Day is going to hurt the wallet. :)

Harold
jonathan
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 12:14:56 pm »

I don't know about that...

On the local newscast in NL, there was a session for retailers to teach about the new security features on the new $100 note, and towards the end of the report, they showed the back of the new notes with prefix BJY in the 4-million range.

I am not saying this for certain, but I am almost sure that the new $100's will possibly start with prefix BJY, and I believe that prefix EJA will follow up prefix BJZ.

As for the Lasting Impressions sets, I believe that the prefixes will possibly be BJW somewhere in the 9-million range.

But who knows?  We'll only have to wait until the new notes come out before we see what prefixes will be issued...

Later, Jonathan

Login with username, password and session length