Author
Topic: What's delaying our $100 bills?  (Read 3661 times)
jonathan
« on: December 18, 2003, 02:28:18 pm »

Would somebody tell me why there haven't been any crisp $100 bills with a new prefix since the late spring or early summer?  I haven't seen any $100 bills out our way (St. John's, NL) with prefixes higher than BJT or BJU.  I have never seen any crisp (or old) BJV's or BJW's come our way yet.  I went to the Scotiabank earlier this morning and there were NO $100 bills in the bank.  That is kind of strange since employees at other companies are getting paid either today or tomorrow, and closer to Christmas.  I would expect banks to have a lot of $100 bills towards the end of the week due to payday.  The friendly teller told me that they won't be getting any $100 bills until Monday.  Banks should have enough $100 bills to give out during the whole business day.

In the meantime, would somebody tell me why there haven't been any crisp $100's with new prefixes lately?   Is it because of the signature changeover, or problems with counterfeiting, or other reasons?

Thanks, Jonathan
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2005, 03:55:29 pm »

Demand is low.  Not too many people run around with 100's, and the Bank of Canada expects a single 100 note to last up to eight years (going from memory here).

Check the "Summary of Technical Details" on page 272 of the Charlton catalogue.  The 1988 Bird hundred only had approx. 305 million notes hit circulation over 17 years.  This is not a lot in comparison to, say, the 20, which had 1567 million (aka 1 billion 567 million) issued between 1993 and 2004; a mere 11 years.

Wouldn't hold my breath for new prefixes for a while.

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 07:30:46 pm »

We'd be lucky if we see new $100 prefixes printed in 2005 by the fall.  ::)

Every year, there seems to be at least two or three $100 prefixes released.  8)

My 2 cents is that I'd say we will get new $100 prefixes eventually.  :)

Jonathan  ;)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2005, 12:37:27 am »

My 2 cents is that I'd say we will get new $100 prefixes eventually.
And my 3 cents is that I'd say the sun will rise tomorrow. Talk about stating the obvious. ::)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length