Author
Topic: Money almost refused!  (Read 3744 times)
Stu
« on: May 07, 2005, 05:42:47 pm »

I was at a "No Frill's" (For those not aware, these are a Loblaw's-owned chain of grocery stores) and almost had a 1979 $20 rejected by a 16-20ish cashier who had to ask the big cheese of cashiers if they "took old money" because she didn't know if it was "good"

The lady behind me and I had a good chuckle about it. Anyone else had something stupid like this happen to them lately? It wasn't THAT old after all and came from a CIBC machine. I wasn't passing off something from my own stash to see what the reaction would be.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 05:50:01 pm by Stu »
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 07:45:13 pm »

I had a 1979 $5 that was in bad shape.  I entered it on Where's Willy, and wrote the URL on the note.  The first two places I tried to spend it wouldn't take it (teenage cashiers) but the third did (older cashier.)

Keep in mind the cashier's age.  If she was 18, she's never seen a multicoloured note in circulation in living memory.  And $1 notes went out of circulation before she was even born.

Makes you feel old, doesn't it?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 07:54:34 pm »

I tried depositing a 1937 $20 that was incredibly battered (G condition) at the BMO branch at Meadowvale Town Centre last month. The teller looked at me funny and thought it was counterfeit. I called the bank manager over (who I know), and then they accepted it.

And yes, you guessed it, a around 20 year old teller.

Stu
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 02:28:51 am »

Keep in mind the cashier's age.  If she was 18, she's never seen a multicoloured note in circulation in living memory.

I don't find 1979 $20's all that scarce, I still come across them being dispensed from ABMs. I'd hate to imagine the cashier's alarm upon getting one at a bank machine.  ;D
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 04:05:04 am »

I must be lucky
Ive only had one bill refused and thats because it was one of new 10s with the wonky identification thing.

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.

Login with username, password and session length