Author
Topic: Placed an Order for $16,000  (Read 5903 times)
cdn_guy
« on: February 23, 2004, 11:27:34 pm »

I guess I am a little excited. Booked the day off of work and from the bank where I have a line of credit I placed $16000 in $100s. They said they can't promise they will be the new ones but I think if I request again the week before I will have better luck.
What I plan on doing is search those notes for anything that sticks out / odd. If I do find it then I will keep it. If I don't then I will return the entire amount.
Good or bad idea???
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 11:40:45 pm »

I'm likely going to try something similar, although I don't have the ability to go quite as high as you are... I think I'll be able to manage perhaps $5,000.00.

I'm curious to know more about what you mentioned to me regarding the RCMP investigating any transactions over $10,000 in a short time span.  Does anyone know what kind of "triggers" are actually in existance, or what kind of heat one might be able to expect when asking for large amounts of cash?  I don't want to end up detained by the RCMP just because I want a few nice $100s...

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
mrcoinman
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 12:27:46 am »

Hi, I noticed you fellows talking about getting a large amount of hundreds, and wether or not they will be new or used. First, there is no legalities(i.e) R.C.M.P. involved in obtaining large sums of money as long as there are sufficient funds to cover the withdrawl. As for new or used bills, what I have in place is called a standing order for new bills only, for $10's of course and for $100's. There's nothing worse than having all those expenses for old notes. Have a good evening.
Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 11:45:30 am »

I have also heard about the $10,000 dollar "trigger", and I can assure you from experience, it doesn't even have to be that much.

I had $5000 that I was going to purchase a used car with, but while I was looking for a suitable vehicle, I was using that cash to obtain new bills from the bank.  The manager at one bank decided that I looked criminal and made me fill out a declaration form, giving S.I.N. number, drivers license and numerous other bits of personal information.  I asked why, since I had recycled this cash about 6 times before this happened.  She gave me a song and dance about how it is "standard proceedure" when dealing with such a large amount of cash (only $5000 remember).

I guess she just got nervous that I was ordering new bills in quantity, and paying with cash.  I didn't care.  I was polite, thought of a number of nasty names for her, got my notes, and ended up with four K/T BEF $10's.  I get ill when I think of the other 496 I returned to the bank.   :-[

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
eastguy
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 11:30:50 pm »

Just an FYI on the subject of the new $100 note......"only Central Branches will have the new notes for customers on March 17th. All other branches will receive notes, only if ordered, at the time of next scheduled delivery."

This means some Bank branches may not receive the new $100 notes for a week or even more after the 17th.

;)eastguy

P.S. The "Declaration of Source of Funds" is a process imposed upon your Canadian Chartered Banks by the Government.........it's been around for a while and isn't going away!

EGUY

Login with username, password and session length