Author
Topic: STOLEN GOODS  (Read 11493 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: May 26, 2005, 07:11:49 pm »

Hey all, I had a break in last night between 10:18 pm and 3am night of May 25th.

LOST ALOT OF CASH - was in between bricks of research...
Anyway...
ALL I have to go on is the 4 inserts I pulled out of THREE sections, which I DIDN'T Record, since the notes were already in the known range.

The FRONT PLATE and BACK PLATES of these inserts is the same as the notes surrounding it, and I don't even have the serial number ranges...

BUT HERE IS WHAT I DO HAVE:
Bank notes
FER9955029 -28-27-26
FRONT PLATE 12 BACK PLATE 54

FER9775029 -28-27-26
FRONT PLATE 19 BACK PLATE 52

FER9820029 -28-27-26
FRONT PLATE 16 BACK PLATE 50

These FER notes were taken from FEP brick of notes.  The notes that they replaced, and the ones surrounding these "insert" notes SHARE THE SAME FRONT AND BACK PLATE NUMBER.

FEP prefixed notes that have these Front and Back plate combonations, at this point could MOST LIKELY BE THE STOLEN NOTES.  Since the amount of the new notes in circulation at this point is so small, the odds of finding the same combonation of front and back plates on other notes is nearly impossible.

IF YOU SEE ANYONE TRYING TO PASS AN UNUSUALLY LARGE AMOUNT OF $10 NEW STYLE BANKNOTES - meaning more thaan 3 or 4 - (this was done on foot, so I may assume a younger person) BE CAREFUL TO GET THE MONEY IN YOUR HANDS and then KEEP THEM TALKING.  
CHECK THE NUMBERS OF THE FRONT PLATES AND BACK PLATES - there COULD be more combonations in the brick.  If it is suspicious, CALL THE POLICE. There is a file Number with the Saskatoon Police Force..

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 07:42:36 pm »

Sorry to hear that Hudson.  A collector's worst nightmare.  Since they are new Journey $10's, I would assume whoever stole it would not be stupid enough to cash in such a large quantity to the bank without raising eyebrows.  If they play it smart, they would probably use the money to buy a lot of small ticket items over a long period of time  (e.g. a movie ticket here, a new CD there etc.)

Any neighbours notice you carrying bricks and bricks of cash day in and day out?  
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 07:54:46 pm »

Nobody.  It was my mistake, i thought I had my stuff with me, but it was out of my sight... Just a routine break in-- often occurs in my neighborhood... I have re-planted the rest of my stuff where it was...  no criminal could keep a score like this a total secret...and you know they always come back to the scene of the crime... okay maybe I watch too much TV. I dont know how much i am supposed to say here, the police are involved.

Wish me luck.
If anyone has any ideas of how to trace, please send in PM form.

Hudson
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 07:55:40 pm by hudsonab »

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2005, 08:49:45 pm »

Hudson, I feel so sorry for you.

But I do think it will be ahrd to track the notes down, unless you get the word out to every single Saskatoon bank.

I spend many new $10 bills when buying stuff, no one really bats an eye.

I also change 100-200 notes back to $100s, $50s without any problems from the teller, they treat it very normally.
moneycow
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 05:43:01 pm »

Hudson,
Hopefully your banking contacts will be able to help.  As the only other member from Saskatoon I will keep my ears open.
Good luck.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 10:34:32 pm »

Thanks for the offers of help guys/gals.  
I guess I am pretty out of luck unless they can trace some prints from the bag which it was in, other than that, the only other thing is that they stole 50 cent coins, all MINT 1994's.  So I have stopped spending all of those, and hopefully some busines will report to the cops about it if some sketchy kid comes by with a few oof them  (Many businesses have been notified).

Wait and see... believe me, i am not sitting still about this, i am doing alot of footwork...Thanks again folks..

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 04:58:15 pm »

HOW ELSE WE CAN DO IT IS THIS:
  I DO have info from the other brick that has notes: FER 9910026-27-28-29 in it as
inserts. **
I NEED TO CONFIRM THAT THESE 4 INSERT NOTES above came from the same respective sheets as
the other 3 sets of four insert notes listed below.  Imagine 45 stacks of 1000 $10s.  These 4
sheets that were placed in there will have the same numbering pattern in all
45 bricks.

This means I need to confirm that these notes all came from the same sheet:
FER 9910029  FP 32 BP 51  <--  FEP 9645001
FER 9955029  FP 12 BP 54    <--   FEP *****01
FER 9775029  FP 19 BP 52    <--   FEP *****01
FER 9820029  FP 16 BP 50    <--   FEP *****01
FER 9910028  FP 32 BP 51
FER 9955028  FP 12 BP 54
FER 9775028  FP 19 BP 52
FER 9820028  FP 16 BP 50
FER 9910027  FP 32 BP 51
FER 9955027  FP 12 BP 54
FER 9775027  FP 19 BP 52
FER 9820027  FP 16 BP 50
FER 9910026  FP 32 BP 51 --> FEP 9645000
FER 9955026  FP 12 BP 54           --> FEP *****00
FER 9775026  FP 19 BP 52           --> FEP *****00
FER 9820026  FP 16 BP 50           --> FEP *****00

So the info needed is the layout of the postion numbers for the sheet that had the FEP9645000 note on it.
The we can match up the 5 by 9 grid:
aa    ab    ac    ad    ae
ba    bb    bc    bd    be
ca    cb     cc    cd     ce
da    db    dc    dd    de
ea    eb    ec    ed    ee
fa     fb     fc     fd     fe
ga    gb    gc    gd    ge  
ha    hb    hc    hd    he
ia     ib      ic     id     ie

One of these letter combonations will be the FEP 9645000 note.  
And if we know what the numbering patterns are for the sheet and where this particular note sits, we will know the numbers that have the other postion numbers.
AND if we know that, We can nail down SOME exact serial numbers of the the Notes that were stolen from me.

Okay now this is the part where I am actually begging you for help if anyone can find out about this.  I am emailing this post to education@bankofcanada.com  with reference to the case involved.  THEY SAID they were working on getting the info from the printing department I think it was.   I only have a 3 hour window to get this info from the on Monday before I have to go to work, so I hope things are rolling on their end.  It was initiated on Thursday.
This other part here went to the BOC already....
The Brick that I DO have information for is:
Bundle 1
FEP9589165 -161 Front Plate 15 Back plate 37
FEP 9661347 - 253  Front Plate 43 Back plate 38

Bundle 2
FEP 9645020-001 FP 32 BP 51
FER 9910029-28-27-26 FP 32 BP 51
FEP 9645000 FP 32 BP 51
FEP 9717160-087 FP 12 BP 54

Bundle 3
FEP 9429152-053 FP 19 BP 52

Bundle 4
FEP 9501118-019 FP 16

Bundle 5
fep 9509271-168 FP 53 BP 18

Bundle 6
fep 9581254-1161 FP 51 bp 32
fep 9653347-338 fp 54 bp 12

etc.....

So we can CONFIRM that the serial numbers on ONE of the bricks came from the
same SHEET as the brick that has been stolen ....

Hudson
Contact with PM only please.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2006, 01:04:51 am by BWJM »

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 03:55:13 pm »

Update!!
A couple of weeks ago, BOTH of the accused pleaded guilty, without even consenting a lawyer (suprised even the judge with that).  The next stage is Court on September 14th, where they will aparantly be bringing some cash (let us hope), and then the sentencing and whatever takes place.  

I had spoken to the probation officer about the case today, and one of the questions he kind of had was "How did you prove it?!"  The answer of course is that I was able to explain all the ins and outs about how the notes were pinted, how the inserts are placed, the FP and BP numbers and their significance, among other things.

This information of course I have learned over the last while from YOU guys/gals. Had we not been sharing the information about what is what and how the systems work, I may never have learned more about the system itself, and would not had a clue as  to how to prove that the notes were mine.
So, I would just like to :) :) THANK YOU ALL :) :) for sharing knowledge.  It is a powerful thing.

Anyway, still we don't know if I will ever see a dime from the non-recovered money, but the ball is rolling. Both of them have jobs, so let us hope and pray for the best.

Thank you for all of your support once again.

Sincerely,
Hudson

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 08:48:40 pm »

Let us hope the judge gives them a stiff sentence.

Hope some of the notes are returned. Good police work on your part.

Rick
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 01:01:11 am »

Congratulations on the case so far, and best of luck for what lies ahead. :)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 08:35:07 am »

Nice work. I wish you the best. I hope they are forced to repay what they stole.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 05:12:59 pm »

Please send your prayers.

Today at 1:30 pm In Saskatoon, the pre-sentencing is to begin for one of the accused. The other had his date adjourned until Oct 27th, because he was away working over this time.

The other one, he failed to put in a pre-sentencing report, which does not look good to the judge.  Now because of this, the judge can either adjourn this guy too, or sentance him appropriatly.   Either way, I will probably have to officiially sue these two characters, unless they walk to the courthouse with $9880 cash in hand. (I just don't think that is probable).

I beg of you all, please keep your stuff safe.  I guarantee you will never want to  experience any of the stuff that I have had to due to this situation.

Thank you all for your ongoing support.

Best Regards,
Hudson
« Last Edit: September 14, 2005, 05:14:38 pm by hudsonab »

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 07:22:55 pm »

Hudson, if you want to sue these two punks, it won't help. Remember the phrase "You can't get blood from a stone". If they had to steal the cash in the first place and stuck it up their nose or whatever, I would highly doubt they could pay it anyways. Unless, of course, they had to garnish their wages.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 09:59:37 pm »

CA_Banknotes, I think that would be the case.
**Update from a family member attending court:
The one guy didn't show up, apparantly has a warrant out for his arrest right now. (Yes, a real winner).  **
The second guy of course is in October.  This first guy has been rescheduled for Sept 27th, 2005.  I will be calling the probation officer tomorrow sometime to get the details.

About Suing:  I can jointly sue them, and then it doesn't matter who the money comes from.  The second guy is off working right now, and he had a job before too, when the robbery took place.  The first guy (who no-showed) may just be a write off to society.  
If (hopefully) I get the judgement, then I can have that applied to either or both of the two accused in regards to a garnishee of wages.  This judgement and the G.O.W. will be good for TEN years.  So there is some hope.

Hope is the key.  I cannot lose hope.
Just realised also, in Saskatchewan, small claims court increases it's minimum to $10,000 from $5,000. So I could wring them through that system instead, which could save me some fees.  

Will be back with more on the 19th.  Hopefully better news.

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2005, 12:17:30 am »

Do the best you can, a civil action which places a burden on the slime bags is something to keep over their heads for 10 years.

Also in the civil court action, perhaps you can add costs to collect. The criminal one is going to make those guys think twice as the criminal conviction stays with them forever.

Good luck

Rick
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 06:15:49 pm »

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN (Mostly Gentlemen I am sure ;) ) , I have an update that is very good.  Still keeping my fingers crossed.

After pleading guilty without even consulting with a lawyer, and having court dates being pushed later and later, things are finally taking shape.
Please read this letter I recieved from Sask Justice:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~hbyblow/TheJudgementWOOHOOedited1.JPG

http://www.ualberta.ca/~hbyblow/TheJudgementWOOHOOedited2.JPG

(I would suggest "Saving the image" so you can increase the size enough to read)

There are many factors that were a part of the outsome so far, and I know a BIG one right off the start is how I was able to explain the tracing of serial numbers of notes through the Front and Back postion numbers of insert notes, and the notes above and below them in the brick stack.  Even expanding into other bricks of a related sheet - this is all information I learned from all you great people out here.  I had this fully explained to the police in the initial police report which really demonstrated that the notes could be identified.

Yvan Therien from the BOC was in email correspondence with me and was unable to release any information to me in regards to sheet position numbers, but it turns out I had enough recorded information (4 sections of inserts) to identify the ranges of some of the stolen notes.  This was great because when some ($260) were recovered initially, a few of the notes fell exactly into the brick sections of the insert notes.  Despite this being a police case, Yvan was unable to give the police force this information even, so here is the part where I really thank again all who have given the time to this forum and to me to explain how insert notes work.  They were the glue to the case.

Anyway, I had a couple of things on my side in this case:
1. I had brick information recorded
2. I had the knowledge of hundreds of collectors with me
3. These guys might as well have been spending $4 dollar bills - these were the new style Journey $10s, and it was May 25th - NO ONE in town had these yet.  Recall the release date for the new $10s was on May 19th - and they were SCARCE in the city at the time.
4. No one uses $10s typically.  If an amount is more than two tens, you can count on someone using a $20 in most cases.  This is the reason why I focussed on $10s to begin with.

So, all these factors, plus the fact that these guys were not impressing the judge at all helped bring some justice to town here for me.  From what I gather, this result so far is basically unheard of- a repayment of cash theft- so I know that I am the luckiest guy around.

I kept thinking to myself in the days after the robbery if it was worth it to travel throughout the city and allert places- was there any hope - was there any chance - but the thought that resonated through my mind was this: "If we catch these guys and I get my money back, it will be like geting paid $10K for my efforts."  Let me tell you, THAT is a big driver.

There were times that I was losing hope, and in those times I needed your prayers the most, so thank you all.  You have seen me through the most tramautic event of my life to date.  I do know however now more than ever how important the non money things are- i.e: my family.  The money was gone.... but they were still there for me - and so were you guys.

Thank you.
Hudson

PS: I know this is not over yet until the money is in the bank, so please let us keep our fingers crossed!

Login with username, password and session length