Author
Topic: A double denomination note!!!!!  (Read 14022 times)
Skylark
  • Money Talks... but all mine ever says is Goodbye!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 04:37:26 am »

too bad its a real 20 and theres nothing illegal about printing on money

I collect banknotes depicting Tallships. And to a lesser degree, all watercrafts.
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 05:10:23 am »

I hope the buyer live in the province of Quebec because we have the consumer office which is a "sort" of board that can suit people or company that try to fraud consumers. According to the consumer office law, this guy would be probably found guilty in Quebec for selling false currencies on internet.  :o

emsteph
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 11:29:22 am »

Then I'm going to turn it into the bank. I don't want anyone else, when they get this note to set up another auction like this again.

I suggest that you keep the note, print off the auction and frame both as a neat conversation piece...
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 02:31:51 pm »

It might be fun to keep tabs on the auction and check to see what type of feedback this poor, unfortunate buyer will leave for the seller... ;)

If a positive feedback is left, I'm afraid I may die laughing!

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2005, 01:31:08 am »

Has anyone contacted the buyer themselves to let them know about the potential fraudulent situation?

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2005, 02:18:29 am »

About this bogus note, someone had said that the fake was printed on an authentic note, so it's not illegal to print on money.  

I can tell to all of you that it's FALSE.  In our local coin club, we recently had a presentation by two RCMP members about bogus and counterfeited notes.  Very interesting.  I asked them what about an altered note?  A note which had an treatment to remove any part of the design?  or a note with any writing on it?    They told me that ANY voluntarly altered note is illegal.  And that's apply to any design stamped, written, or printed by any means on it.  

So the 5$ on 20$ fall in the category of altered notes (if proven so).  You can conclude by yourself...

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2005, 02:27:22 am »

Eeek.

I better just keep the note. It's only $20 and a nice conservation piece I guess. Hey! At least it didn't cost me $2,000! :D
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2005, 02:38:08 am »

I agree with you.  Just hold on and enjoy the comment of your friends  ;) ;) ;)

As usual, there is a difference between theory and the real life.  Even if it's illegal to alter the money we have (coins or notes),  we rarely see any accusation because the majority of these alterations are minor or simply nobody cares about (without mention to find who made the alteration).  These cases are funny and hurts noboby.

IMHO it's only when someone tries to make a buck with an altered note than it becomes a concern...

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2005, 02:49:31 am »

A reminder to people who engage in transactions over the WWW that in the event of some sort of economic crime (ie: fraud), a website called Reporting Economic Crime On-Line has been established through law enforcement agencies such as the RCMP, OPP and FBI. You can visit this site at http://www.recol.ca. You do not need to be directly involved in a transaction to make a report.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2005, 09:51:34 pm »

Well, positive feedback WAS left for this item.  I quote: "Thanks for the HOLY GRAIL of error notes. Great communication, great service!!!!"

Could this error be for real?  ???  :-/  ???

admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 09:59:19 pm »

Anything is possible and I'm sure the new owner will have it checked out.

BTW, very funny by-line. Thanks.  ;D
JB-2007
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 12:47:22 am »

i just dont see how this can be a real error. Too denomination printed on each other??? This is unheard of... Probably has never happened. Im almost sure that the one who bought this note will be in for a very unpleasant surpise when he/she gets it checked out. I guess the most important lesson we learn from such auctions like this one is always beware when buying errors!!!  
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 01:01:04 am »

Well, although the Charlton guide use to say that no double denomination is been found, I do not believe that it says it anymore. Seems to me one came to light about 2 years ago, but Tom might have more details.

Technically, this is possible, because printers use a number of sheets various parts of the printing process for "setup sheets". It is conceiveable that a setup sheet from a $5 press run ended up being used as a sheet up sheet for a $10 (you know, conserve the paper) and then managed to slip through detection. Now, I'm not saying it a likely possibility as I would have thought it would be easy to detect, but again, it is possible. It could also be a "back door job" where somebody in the plant "assisted" it's introduction to the market.

As well, it wouldn't be hard to just run a note through an inkjet printer either...

So, what I'm saying is that it is "possible", just very unlikely. I'd kill to put my grubby little hands on it (and my loop), but Tom would be better.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 02:14:52 am »

That about wraps up my thought's.  There is a double denomination note with I have authenicated.  Here is the examle

{http://www.rarenotes.net/20on100.jpg}

I was a little suspicious when the first one was found a few years ago.  Then another one surfaced and the serial numbers indicate they were from the same sheet.  

I get a bad feeling about this $5\20 error.  The signatures are not very sharp along with other elements of design.  I would like to see if the ink will run if dampend,  check out for embossing etc.  Wich only can be done if I have it in my hands.  
It seemed that the note from above was not legit, but turned out to be, so it could be with this $5\20 note.  I still have a bad feeling about it.

Just my opinion.

Tom
Channaford
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 04:22:49 pm »

Then how come the $20/$100 note doesn't have any colour?  It looks like a B&W photocopy to me...

- Cathy

Login with username, password and session length