Author
Topic: BC-48bT $5 RS Test Note  (Read 17215 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2005, 02:52:44 am »

Brent,

The most honorable way to conduct business is the way I described as the way to handle the situation not the way this thread started, nor am I pursuaded in any way by the various analogies you are presenting.

Perhaps it is these high standards of doing business and refusal to be pursuaded otherwise that have been the backbone of my success.

Troy
Thank you for your response. I'm taking this opportunity to withdraw from the discussion as I see no benefit in pursuing this particular facet of it any further.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2005, 02:56:49 am »

Now that is how you earn respect my friend.

Very honorable of you.

Thanks Brent.

Troy
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2005, 04:26:28 am »

What should be done is contact the vendor directly to determine what kind of proof exists and then you make a judgement call if further proof/ verification is required.

Sorry that you took offense to my question.  A number of the knowledgeable people on this board have information and lists of known serial numbers and my request was to collaborate that information.   Having seen 4 or 5 RS test notes sold on e-bay in the last year and having seen another 6 or 7 sold at various auctions it seems that these notes seem to show up on a rather regular basis, so I was surprised to see your claim that only 25 are known.  That does not mean that I question your veracity...  it means that my impression based upon observation suggests that there are more.   Similarly the "33" test notes which also command a high price also seem to show up on e-bay and at auctions on a rather frequent basis.  Just 10 years ago in the 1995 edition of the catalogue the 1954 S/R $2 test notes were listed at $1750 for BC-38bT, $800 for BC-38cT and $600 BC-38dT.  Today you can pick the set of three up in unc for $2100.   What could cause this downturn  in the face of increased demand as the collector base grows?  A supply that is larger that was previously known.

For everyone's edification could you provide us
known serial numbers of the $5 RS test notes.  I am curious to see if mine is on your list.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 04:38:51 am by eyevet »

TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2005, 09:01:12 am »

That list of known serial numbers represents intellectual property which has real commercial value.

I will contact Robert Graham to see if the owner is prepared to give you or "everyone" as you state, the information for free or at all on this one time basis only.

As far as your impressions of there being more than 25 well based on my experience with reporting to the registers of various notes I can tell you that the number will almost certainly grow beyond 25. However only 25 are known and confirmed to exist at this point in time.  I can also tell you there will likely be those who jump in this thread with stuff like "I have one in my closet" " I heard there is a hoard" etc etc. That is to be expected and is so predictable it's tiresome. I will be here until the end to find the truth and reveal any false or unvalidated information that manages to find its way in here.

But I assume you understand the essence of how this whole register thing works anyway so I do not accept this is a reason to deviate from what I argue is the most honorable way to proceed to validate a claim I have made publically.

You are of course free to do as you choose, however should you wish to do business with me in the future I would ever so gently request that you 1st contact me to find out what proof I have before determining whether or not you need to post like you did in an online forum, particularly one where I am a member of, seems almost silly. If after receiving the information from me you still feel you need additional validation then by all means go for it in a responsible manner. I have been contacted countless times in the past by informed others with similar "impressions" who seek proof of claim and validation and you certainly were the 1st to go about it the way that you did.

If this request is something which doesn't strike you as being honorable and the respectful thing to do or outside the scope of what reasonable men, experienced in commerce, should do then I would respectfully submit we have a difference of opinion which cannot be reconciled on the very serious matter of how best to do business.

This forum often questions seller practices and now you have eBay's leading seller of Canadian paper money putting the shoe on the other foot here and challenging you to elevate your own practices, while this may seem unnatural, it is very appropriate in this case.

Troy

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 10:05:40 am by TheMonetaryMan »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2005, 10:57:25 am »

If this request is something which doesn't strike you as being honorable and the respectful thing to do or outside the scope of what reasonable men, experienced in commerce, should do then I would respectfully submit we have a difference of opinion which cannot be reconciled on the very serious matter of how best to do business.

This forum often questions seller practices and now you have eBay's leading seller of Canadian paper money putting the shoe on the other foot here and challenging you to elevate your own practices, while this may seem unnatural, it is very appropriate in this case.
Troy, you're the one who made this discussion into some personal attack against you or your selling practices. The thread started off as a very simple request for information. You immediately expressed your malcontent that someone should dare to verify a claim with a third party before asking you first. I countered that third-party verification is in fact in the buyer's best interests, and in return, you took that as an attack against your reputation, trustworthiness and integrity.

Perhaps you can knock your ego down a notch for a minute here. Nobody is out to attack you, but if you start picking fights like this, someone's going to end up landing a punch.

I will attempt to obtain population records for the RS $5 test notes. In the event that I do, I will post them here. If someone else gets them first, please send them to me by email or PM and I will post them here.

Until then... Thread closed.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 10:04:42 pm »

Well, we lost Brent and determined that the real CPMS list says there are 27 confirmed notes. These registers are published on an on-going basis in the Candian Paper Money Newsletter and work is underway to publish a separate book with an update of them all.

Of course, the amusing part of that is, Brent is part of the team working on it.  ::)

Login with username, password and session length