Author
Topic: $5 Canadian Journey Polymer notes  (Read 4092 times)
suretteda
« on: June 04, 2005, 01:36:01 am »

7. RCMP seize $7.8 billion in counterfeit $5 notes by April of 2005 and Canadian Federal Government gives final approval to conversion of Canadian Paper money from paper to polymer notes by end of 2005

5 Pages

http://www.canadian-numismatic.org/EBulletin4Feb20_2005.pdf

« Last Edit: June 04, 2005, 01:37:12 am by suretteda »
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 02:23:40 am »

The title of that section that you quote from is:

TOP TEN PREDICTIONS FOR 2005
by Mark Argentino.

well lets see if I can be creative:

TOP TEN PREDICTIONS FOR 2005
by Eyevet

1. Brent Mackie will become Governor of the Bank of Canada.
2. Prime Minister Jack Layton announces that Tommy Douglas will replace The Queen on the new polymer $20 bill
3. A new $99 bill will be issued to honour Wayne Gretsky's career.
4. Minister of Finance Tom Merritt announces the return of the beloved asterisk for replacement notes.
5. Deputy finance minister Eyevet proposes a change in font of the serial numbers on Canadian banknotes to remove the serif from the number 1 so that notes with the number 1 will qualify as "rotator" numbers.
6. Governor Mackie tells Deputy Eyevet to "stuff it".
7. The "Trusty ScotiaBank" in St.  John's NFLD mysteriously disappears.
8. The committee studying a common North American currency proposes the name "The Buck" for the new currency which will compete with "The Euro".
9. Eyevet finds a stash of 9 crisp uncirculated *C/I notes in a hidden envelope.
10.    The above *C/I notes are all solid radars.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 02:46:09 am »

Doc, you've got me just rolling in a fit of hysterical laughter over here! LMAO!!!! Oh man, that is hilarious!!!

There's a nice bunch of "inside jokes" in there that really catch my attention, some of which other members here may know. The only flaw is that Tom Merritt should be the Sr. Deputy Governor, and Eyevet gets to replace M. Pierre Duguay, the Deputy Governor in charge of the issuance of banknotes, among other things. The Minister of Finance can be some NDP dude who can barely count, let alone prepare a balanced budget.

I am loving that list!

PS: The original list, buy Mr. Argentino, is a COMEDIC list of numismatic predictions for 2005. It should NOT be construed as any sort of rumour that we are heading for polymer notes by the end of the year.

PS2: The CNA E-Bulletin is a nice, light-hearted read, usually containing a healthy dose of numismatic humour. It is not to be taken quite as seriously as say the CPMS newsletter, or the CCN newspaper.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 04:23:21 am »

Darn, I wish it was real.

I'm a polymer banknote collector too, and would have loved to seen Canadian polymer notes.

They have worked well in Australia, and they last way longer than current notes. They work just as smoothly in counting machines, they end up being more efficient in ATM machines, with less jams. They also are a lot cleaner.

The disadvantage is though, the notes itself are incredibly hard to rip, but if a rip has been initiated, the poymer notes tears extremely easily.

They are also more expensive to produce, but in the long term, will actually save the Canadian government money, as notes won't have to replaced that often.

Login with username, password and session length